Talk

Advanced search

To think nits are the devil's spawn, not working mums?

(15 Posts)
Proudnscary Wed 28-Sep-11 08:22:37

Please for the love of God can someone tell me if there is a product/shampoo that actually works - I never usually use them as I am a brilliant nit catcher with me combs and me thumb and finger. But this time they are defeating me. Is there anything that works!?!

Urgent answers required hence posting in AIBU where most traffic is.

valiumredhead Wed 28-Sep-11 08:24:27

Hedrin.

Birdsgottafly Wed 28-Sep-11 08:31:42

All you can do is minimise re infection by following the advice given and stop the nits from growing to adulthood by daily combing.

If you break their legs they cannot reproduce.

borderslass Wed 28-Sep-11 08:38:48

Once you get rid of the blighters use tea-tree shampoo helps prevent them.

MothershipG Wed 28-Sep-11 08:46:52

I go for a belt and braces approach - I use Full Marks which is one of the treatments that suffocates them so it doesn't have nasty, poisonous chemicals, then I use a Nitty Gritty comb to take out the corpses.

My DD managed to get to 8 before getting them, I was just starting to think we were home and dry but she's had 3 lots in the last year. confused

spookshowangellovesit Wed 28-Sep-11 09:03:40

hedrin use to work a treat but now when i use it i pull out live ones. so either they have become immune to being suffocated (one day nits will take over the world) or they have made hedrin weaker so you have to buy it more (random conspiracy theory for the day). the expensive comb is good takes out the eggs too so that is a must now in my house especially for my 9 year old that cant go a month with out getting the little shits grrrrrrrr.

Proudnscary Wed 28-Sep-11 09:14:49

Thanks. What is this posh comb you speak of?

Proudnscary Wed 28-Sep-11 09:16:50

Ps I have been combing and pulling out for weeks so must have damaged them you'd think?? Also I use electronic comb and even har
it straighteners when I'm desperate.

Proudnscary Wed 28-Sep-11 09:17:34

Hair not har it. Bloody iPhone

Miggsie Wed 28-Sep-11 09:18:49

Use a nitty gritty comb with conditioner.
Then rinse.
Then cover the hair and scalp with olive oil and leave for at least 30 mins. Any remaining nits will be coated with oil and will suffocate. Give a quick comb after 30-60 mins.
Wash and rinse out the olive oil.
Mix tea tree oil in a water spray bottle and spray onto the hair in the mornings to discourage nits to jump back onto the head from another child.
Keep checking for nit cases. Repeat if necessary (though I find it isn't)

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Sep-11 10:12:09

I got fed up with nitty gritty and tea tree oil so asked for help on MN last week - someone suggested Derbac M lotion. We are all now nit-free for the first time in months.

beatrixkitto Wed 28-Sep-11 10:17:52

nitty gritty comb with conditioner twice a week, regardless if dd has them or not. it takes 30 mins and will remove any that have been picked up. Hair in a high ponytail or a bun with teatree spray and hairspray.

* NITFREE FOR 1 YEAR AND COUNTING*

discobeaver Wed 28-Sep-11 10:20:11

They are horrendous. My daughter went to the hairdressers last week and I got a call half way through to say they had found some nits and couldn't finish! So embarrassed but they were v good about it and said it happens every day.
Derbac I think used to be the super stinky clear liquid which was great but now it's changed to a wimpy creamy consistency, can't find the really severe stuff. Might have to use Frontline . . .

stoatie Wed 28-Sep-11 10:35:23

"I got fed up with nitty gritty and tea tree oil so asked for help on MN last week - someone suggested Derbac M lotion. We are all now nit-free for the first time in months."

Snap. We were doing brilliantly with teatree leave in spray until last year. DD2 was constantly being reinfected - one morning I had combed her hair and knew she was nit free - she came out of school with the biggest bruiser of a louse sat on her frindge - I swear it was grinning at me. Hedrin et al didn't seem to help much (probs because other classmates untreated).

Determined to sort it out during summer holiday and went for Derbac - worked a treat and - fingers crossed - still nit free (use teatree shampoo and conditioner as deterrent)

Proudnscary Wed 28-Sep-11 10:43:50

I think I will try all of it - the nitty gritty, the olive oil and Derbac.

Plus do you think the electronic comb is any good - I have been using it and it does pull a few out but not as much as you'd hope.

My dc have come up with an 'invention' - a helmet you put on kids' heads and it electrocutes the fuckers through dozens of electrolodes carrying shocks. I said 'hmm I'd buy it, but you'd have to make sure not to kill children in the process...then again I still think I'd buy it'. Dragon's Den maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now