Talk

Advanced search

to expect the person I am walking with to wait while I tie my shoelaces??

(21 Posts)
Faffalina Wed 28-Sep-11 08:18:08

Went for a stroll in the woods with MIL and DD, MIL pushing the pushchair.

I noticed that my boot was unlaced and stopped to sort it out. MIL didn't break her stride and vanished off round the corner. I had to call out to her to find them! I know she wants time alone with DD but seemed... odd to me. Quite rude. I'd always wait for the other person.

Obviously I didn't make a fuss about it, but found it slightly annoying. AIBU?

peterpan99 Wed 28-Sep-11 08:27:56

haha yeah i would say its common courtsey, but maybe she didnt notice or didnt want to slow down and thought you would just catch up (which you did).
I always wait, unless im in a mad rush!

OchAyeTheNooPal Wed 28-Sep-11 08:33:06

she probably didn't even notice you had stopped. Don't think it's rude either but you sound like you don't like her that much.

Illegitimate Wed 28-Sep-11 08:35:27

vanished? shock How long did it take you to tie it?!

Faffalina Wed 28-Sep-11 08:46:53

Illegitimate we were in the woods, so the vanishing was almost immediate.

Birdsgottafly Wed 28-Sep-11 08:48:21

I would stop going for a stroll in the woods with people you don't trust.

Remember what nearly happened to Snow White.

chickenchops Wed 28-Sep-11 08:56:24

(snort at birdsgottafly)
Yanbu. I would be irritated too

ZeldaUpNorth Wed 28-Sep-11 10:29:19

I have to admit that on the school run, if we're walking with my neighbour and she stops for whatever reason i keep going, as once i stop it takes a while to start again lol (up steep incline and pushing buggy) I do go slightly slower so she can catch up though. smile

DizzyKipper Wed 28-Sep-11 10:34:01

It would depend on whether the person was a repeat offender for going slow/stopping whilst I was in a rush as to whether I'd slow down. In the situation you describe I think it would be common courtesy to wait, particularly as you were in the woods and finding them again could have been difficult!

splatapus Wed 28-Sep-11 10:36:22

I think she probably did something to your shoe lace on purpose so she could leg it, don't fall for it next time.

I would stick to velcro in future.

And watch out for traps.

She probably thought you'd tie your shoelace and catch up. I'm not seeing the problem. Is there a bigger picture here?

pippilongsmurfing Wed 28-Sep-11 11:45:16

It's MN Hecate, there's always a bigger picture.

grin true, true.

SnakeOnCrack Wed 28-Sep-11 12:11:14

MIL was clearly hoping you'd get taken by a bear so she could have your DD to herself.

mythical Wed 28-Sep-11 18:22:19

Did you let her know? "hang on a sec, i'll just tie my shoe lace" or something like that?

Catsmamma Wed 28-Sep-11 18:23:45

I never wait for dh, he is so slow.

upahill Wed 28-Sep-11 18:26:34

I never wait for my colleague while he does his laces up or goes to find a place to have a pee because he walks miles faster than me so he soon catches up.

TBH I think yabu.

Most of my mates don't wait for me and I don't wait for them, we catch each other up.
No problem.

thisisyesterday Wed 28-Sep-11 18:28:00

no yanbu

it's common courtesy to wait if one of a party stops to do something, unless they say "go on ahead i'll catch you up"

AisforAcorn Wed 28-Sep-11 18:34:45

She probably didn't notice.

One time my sister fell on her arse and I kept walking for about a minute before I noticed she was prone on the pavement behind me.

grandtoadd Wed 28-Sep-11 18:38:49

And while down there ... Did you check if there were any other little jobs requiring attention before you straightened yourself up again? (you will when you get a bit older and the joints stiffen up)

pocketfullofposies Wed 28-Sep-11 18:41:47

My Mum used to do this when DD1 was a baby.

I'd be walking around M and S with her, stop to look at something and she'd disappear off with my little newborn who constantly needed breastfeeding.

It used to really upset me actually.

Now she's three, of course, I'd pay her to take her off my hands for a bit grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now