Talk

Advanced search

For those born in the 50's, 60's and 70's...

(190 Posts)
unpa1dcar3r Tue 27-Sep-11 22:53:24

For those who were born in the 50's, 60's and 70's, this may sound familiar: Firstly, we were born to parents who smoked and drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products and lots of processed meat. After that trauma, we slept in baby cots covered in coloured lead based paints. As kids, we rode in cars with no seat belts, air bags, power steering or anti lock brakes. We drank water from a garden hose, NOT from a plastic bottle. There were no McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Chinese, Indian or Thai meals. No KFC or Subway. If you wanted takeaway food, it was fish and chips, all wrapped in newspaper! And it tasted great! Even though all the shops were shut by 6pm, half day closing on Wednesdays, and didn't open on weekends, we somehow didn't starve to death! We could collect old glass drinks bottles, and cash them in at the local shop, and buy gobstoppers, bubble gum and toffees. We ate loads of sweets, white bread, real butter and drank fizzy drinks with loads of sugar in them, but we weren't overweight because........we were always outside playing! We'd leave home straight after breakfast and play all day. Our parents had no idea where we were, but knew we'd be home for tea. We'd build go-carts from old prams and fly downhill on them, suddenly finding out we forgot about brakes. We had no PS3, Wii or X box. No Sky tv, no dvd's or cd's. We had no mobile phones, no PC's, laptops or notebooks, and there was no internet. WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside to find them. We fell out of trees and got cuts, broken teeth and bones. Did our parents sue the landowners? NO! We learned to be more careful the next time! We ate mud and worms, and we didn't die! We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthday. The only time you could buy easter eggs and hot cross buns was at Easter. Shops didn't sell tins of Quality Street in September. Football, rugby and cricket teams had tryouts, and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to deal with disappointment. Can you imagine that?! Teachers used to hit us with the cane or a slipper. And if we broke the law, our parents sided with the law and wouldn't bail us out! We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility. And we learned to deal with ALL OF THEM! You my friends, are one of the lucky ones who grew up as kids before the government and lawyers regulated our lives "for our own good" Oh, you may wish to show this to your kids, so they can see how brave their parents were when kids were kids.

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 22:55:49

Urrrgggh all that's missing is "Copy and paste to your facebook wall. I did, I doubt you will"

And bloody right...I won't.

<born in 1969>

FabbyChic Tue 27-Sep-11 22:56:48

Paragraph police! Born in 64.

AtYourCervix Tue 27-Sep-11 22:57:05

paragraphs might have helped me not phase out after the first 2 sentences.

and is this one of those shitey-worthy-bollocks emails i delete as they hit my in box?

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 22:58:42

I actually died from not passing on this chain mail.

NonnoMum Tue 27-Sep-11 22:59:54

Yawn.

mycatsaysach Tue 27-Sep-11 23:00:30

what a load of rubbish
i have always been chubby and i got knocked over by a car when i was a child playing out

cat64 Tue 27-Sep-11 23:01:59

Message withdrawn

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 23:02:46

Perhaps the OP has munched on too much lead based paint?

elesbells Tue 27-Sep-11 23:04:46

I couldn't read all that....born in 1969 so my eyes aren't what they used to be..

[Hmm]

confusedandsilly Tue 27-Sep-11 23:04:47

Born in 78, can relate a bit

MorbidlyMoribund Tue 27-Sep-11 23:05:31

I would have murdered every member of my family <narrows eyes> and you lot on this thread ....for a Wii, DS, mobile phone or laptop when i was little (born 1973)

were things better back then for kids? were they heck as like....

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 23:06:22

I know during the 80's signing on and doing a bit of cash in hand wasn't as frowned upon as it is now grin

Feminine Tue 27-Sep-11 23:06:23

So 2007! grin

born in '71

LineRunner Tue 27-Sep-11 23:07:28

There was me just telling DD (15) how fucking bored I was all the time at her age......

edam Tue 27-Sep-11 23:07:40

and the point is what, exactly?

(Except that quite a lot of children used to die or be seriously injured from things such as no seatbelts in cars, let alone child car seats. Or falling head first off slides in playgrounds where the ground was covered in concrete.)

MorbidlyMoribund Tue 27-Sep-11 23:09:32

OP - a word of advice - these things make you sound thick - if you send them on facebook you will end up defriended...if you send them by email you will be put in spam inbox.....

HTH

On a serious note though - would you really deny your children all the amazing things we know more about now? Better medication and knowledge in general. i could reply by saying when i was 10 and wanted to find something out i had to catch 2 buses to the local library and order the relevant book to come in (bearing in mind this would only be one persons opinion on said matter) and do the same journey 2 weeks later to collect the book. God Bless Google and all who sail in her , i say!

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 27-Sep-11 23:10:15

Most of those who were born in the 50's, 60's and 70's were taught about paragraphs.

ChippingIn Tue 27-Sep-11 23:10:39

Why C&P an email that's done the rounds so many times?

Flowerista Tue 27-Sep-11 23:10:41

We also exploded from the friction of all the polyester we wore. My dressing gown actually melted when I stood too close to the electric fire.

The hair crimes, the food, the lack of heating and lack of doctors/dentists for 10 days over Christmas.

Those were not good times.

hiccymapops Tue 27-Sep-11 23:10:49

Born in 1973, and I did have a computer, it was a spectrum grin

Mumcentreplus Tue 27-Sep-11 23:11:18

1972 and yes I survived all that shit grin ...plus dodgy food colouring/additives and I was never a tween (thank fuck)

headfairy Tue 27-Sep-11 23:11:27

Personally I never ate White bread, or drank fizzy drinks (coke was about properly exotic) I was always overweight, watched waaaay too much tv (whyyyyyyy don't youuuuuu) I've never been given an air gun or a catapult, and every half term we went to Wimpey...

So ner!

Born in '70

Mumcentreplus Tue 27-Sep-11 23:13:53

I had a commodore 64 <bad gal>wink

garlicnutty Tue 27-Sep-11 23:14:33

Yep, all true. You win a bit, lose a bit. Next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now