Talk

Advanced search

to put make-up on my son?

(20 Posts)
Imnotaslimjim Tue 27-Sep-11 16:52:29

DS fell off his bike yesterday. Pulled the wrong brake, went straight over the top and bashed his chin on a concrete step.

He has his school photo tomorrow and his chin is purple sad is it wrong of me to want to cover it up? Its DD's first photo so I want to buy it, but I'll be forever reminded of him and his purple face

MuthaInsuperior Tue 27-Sep-11 16:54:26

Is it REALLY bad? because I quite like the way photographs tell a story of what was happening at the time - but if it's so bad that it causes a distraction from the rest of the photo I can see your point.

seeker Tue 27-Sep-11 16:54:51

I'd leave it. It'll be one picture that you'll remember! Most of them are so dull !

feetheart Tue 27-Sep-11 16:58:33

If the photo isn't as soon as they enter school and he is first in the line he will have wiped half of it off/replaced it with snot/acquired mud from somewhere/rubbed dinner in his hair/painted his ears/etc - or is that just my DS grin

I agree with the 'every picture tells a story' line.

thisisyesterday Tue 27-Sep-11 16:59:54

yabu

i have a school photo of me with scabs all the way down my forehead, nose, top lip and chin where i came off my bike

you wioll look back on it and sy "ahhhh, remember when you fell off your bike just before the school pics"

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 17:01:55

YABU

I'm sure you'll both love this photo when he's grown up

mistlethrush Tue 27-Sep-11 17:01:55

Get some arnicare cream - ds brought home a shiner one day from nursery - they even rang me up to warm me about how he was looking - more ice then arnicare when I got home, and more cream before bed - the next day you could see where the cream had got - black on the bit close to his eye which didn't have any cream, the rest the bruise had gone, like vanishing cream.

Floggingmolly Tue 27-Sep-11 17:24:55

Is it an individual photo? If so, they can airbrush it for you, it takes seconds.

troisgarcons Tue 27-Sep-11 17:26:34

Nooooooo! My best school photo involves one with a spot between his eyes! the next with a big graze where he walked into a lamp post, and the third minus his sweatshirt as he'd poured yogurt down it! A damned site more appealing that the dreafully posed ones!

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 27-Sep-11 17:34:02

The bruise will give character smile
ds has his tomorrow. Last week he went to the barbers on his own and has come back looking as if he has nits, and I have taken the shears to him. Still, it emphasises his beautiful eyes hmm

blaaahh Tue 27-Sep-11 19:34:10

yabu - it will make you smile when you look back and see your little ds smiling away with his bruise. :D

Imnotaslimjim Tue 27-Sep-11 20:40:02

I was joking lol, but thanks for the replies

I've had 5 people so far today tell me that I should consider putting concealer on it. It IS pretty bad, his chin is purple with a huge scab on it. I'm not too bothered though, as most of you have said, it'll be one to look back and have a laugh. This his 3rd photograph, and I'm very surprised this is the only one with face-wars. He is the worlds clumsiest child!

I'm glad you all agree with though and not the neurotic mothers at the school gate!

unpa1dcar3r Tue 27-Sep-11 22:45:00

My youngest loves nothing better than wearing make up; gets it from his sisters. he also likes high heels n handbags! Don't bother me, he's kinda growing out of it now in favour of hair gel and shirts.
But I wouldn't put make up on him for a photo to cover a graze or bump cos the bumps make him who he is; a clumsy, bump covered, make up wearing, handbag carrying potential transvestite and I love him just the way he is. smile

FabbyChic Tue 27-Sep-11 22:47:38

I wouldn't put foundation on it, have you any powder?

Imnotaslimjim Tue 27-Sep-11 23:47:05

Aw unpa1dcar3r, thats lovely! And thats just how I see my DS. Every bruise on him tells a story as he is fantastically clumsy!

Fabby, I couldn't put powder on it even if I wanted to, it would clog in the scab and make it sore I think. I really don't mind though, its just surprised me how many people have said " get some concealer on it"!

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Tue 27-Sep-11 23:52:15

My DMother has kept the one of the ridiculous poodle perm she gave me. Another one for the "every story tells a photo" line.

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 28-Sep-11 08:54:03

Yabu, my first school photograph aged 4 I have a broken nose, 2 black eyes and stitches in my lip. I show it to kids and explain this is what happens when you don't listen to the teacher and decide to run headlong down the hill in the playground on a go-cart with no brakes and meet an unforgiving wall at the bottom. It never fails to instill awe and respect.

Illegitimate Wed 28-Sep-11 08:56:21

My sons first school photo is great. He had ringworm circle on his chin- fucking massive it was, its the only school photo on the wall, i love itgrin

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 28-Sep-11 09:29:56

My DDs best friend got hold of some temporary tattoos. Suffice it to say she looked like a Maori warrior in her school photo.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 28-Sep-11 09:41:14

I'm loving the stories of bumps, bruises and facial marks!

The photographer was really really good. She sat the 2 of them together and got them to huddle, then got DS to lower his chin slightly - voila no chin bruise on show! I was very impressed. Can't wait to see the photo properly now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now