Talk

Advanced search

in taking a 3 year old to watch me have a blood test?

(40 Posts)
MothInMyKecks Tue 27-Sep-11 16:01:17

Doc thinks I have thyroid problem so blood test in the morning. Have my youngest with me, I'm not squeamish or 'owt and don't mind needles. Would it be ok to take her do you think? If not, will have to give it a miss.

iklboo Tue 27-Sep-11 16:02:54

I'd have taken DS at that age. It would show her needles are nothing to be scared of.

no problem, explain matter of factly what's going on sit her in a chair away from the action take something to distract her and away you go. good luck

valiumredhead Tue 27-Sep-11 16:03:19

I always took my ds with me. They don't have to watch and you can distract with some sweeties or a toy.

mumsamilitant Tue 27-Sep-11 16:04:32

No not unreasonable at all, seeing as you don't mind having this done, it will be a positive experience for your child.

MothInMyKecks Tue 27-Sep-11 16:07:05

Ah thank you Ladies. smile
Worry over. I'll stash her favourite toy in my bag tonight.

ll31 Tue 27-Sep-11 16:09:07

I'd no problem doing this at all. Also ensures you yourself display absolutely no fear or pain !!!

HooverTheHamaBeads Tue 27-Sep-11 16:11:48

There is no reason at all for her to know what is going on if you don't want her to. Read her a story/distract/offer snack etc she won't realise if you don't draw attention.

Scout19075 Tue 27-Sep-11 16:13:00

I do it all the time (monthly blood tests, injections, other tests, monthly doctor appointments). Toddler isn't afraid of the doctors' surgery or the hospital (or even the EMT when he had to be checked over after a nasty fall) because he always goes and sees what it's all about. So no, I don't think YABU.

MothInMyKecks Tue 27-Sep-11 16:14:04

Thanks everyone. Thanks Scout - that's reassuring to know.

hophophippidtyhop Tue 27-Sep-11 16:17:24

my dd came with me for all the tests when i was pregnant with dd2 - the only downside was she became a obsessed with playing doctors and constantly took my blood pressure and fake injected me!

Rowgtfc72 Tue 27-Sep-11 16:24:27

Dd used to come watch me give blood when she was three, she has no fear of doctors !Take something to occupy her and remember to smile !

BessieBooPooBum Tue 27-Sep-11 16:29:10

my 3yr old DS comes with me every month for blood tests at the hospital. the nurses all know him and he even got a little pressie from them at xmas!

mousymouse Tue 27-Sep-11 16:30:11

yanbu, it's no big deal.

Meglet Tue 27-Sep-11 16:30:13

I've done it with my DS. He was very good and the nurse explained what she was doing.

I'm not usually one for taking the DC's on errands with me but a blood test is something they should know about.

Also had to take ds (3) with me to all my ante-natal, he was facinated by blood tests.

On one occassion the mw said, sorry wildthing, but can you move ds a little further away, I turned round (can't look when they are taking blood) and ds's nose was about one inch from the needlegrin

bluelaguna Tue 27-Sep-11 16:35:26

I took my DS when he was 3. I told him the nurse was taking blood out of my arm with a needle so that they could see if the blood was OK or if I needed any medicine. He enjoyed it and the nurse let him shake the bottle of blood.

18 months later, aged almost 5, he needed a blood test himself. He remembered seeing mine was no problem and sat there as calm and still as an adult whilst he had his done with no anaesthetic/magic cream. He knew that the needle hurt a bit but he knew it would be fine. I am very glad I took him to mine!

NestaFiesta Tue 27-Sep-11 17:47:02

My DS was in the room when I had an amniocentesis! YANBU, it's good and positive and will help at vaccination time,

purplewednesday Tue 27-Sep-11 18:13:03

I think its fine. I'm a nurse and I've had people come for blood tests with children in tow. I think it teaches them that healthcare is normal, a good thing, and that people have blood tests sometimes and its not a scary painful thing. If you have got terrible veins and its a palarva to take then it may not be such a good idea though smile

DoodleAlley Tue 27-Sep-11 18:19:47

I did the very sane thing last week with my three year old and I hate needles. I just didn't watch and chatted to him while it was being done and showed him it was no big deal. Both if us were fine!

StealthPolarBear Tue 27-Sep-11 18:22:36

Do you mean having blood taken from your arm? yes I've done that with 2 little ones watching and no doubt causing havoc somewhere

plupervert Tue 27-Sep-11 18:23:02

DS came to my last midwife appointment, and I agree with others about showing him blood-taking is nothing to be scared of.

Iggi999 Tue 27-Sep-11 18:25:50

Ds (4) is my shadow, I have no easy childcare available so he is at bloodtests etc - even scans, though I'd prefer not to bring him for those if I had the choice. I did draw the line at my smear test though!

Chandon Tue 27-Sep-11 18:29:30

have taken mine to smear testblush

meditrina Tue 27-Sep-11 18:33:22

My youngest came with me when I was giving blood. It's fine, as long as they can sit calmly for duration of whatever you're having done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now