Talk

Advanced search

to dig up the bloody lawn and replace it with AstroTurf?

(27 Posts)
Wrigglebum Tue 27-Sep-11 15:53:21

Lawn is covered in fungus again and I'm fed up of it! We have trees all around so all the leaves and roots feed the fungus and I've no idea how to kill it without some sort of chemical attack. Neither fungus nor chemicals are great with a toddler around.

I'm sure it would be a little bit better if we raked or mowed a bit more but I daren't mow with a toddler around and at the moment either he's awake or it's dark. And it rains all bloody weekend.

Rant over, but has anyone managed to clear their lawn of fungus?

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 27-Sep-11 15:54:56

My friend is buying a house with an astro turf lawn and we're laughing like drains at the pictures grin Um, can't you have lots of mushrooms on toast? <helpful>

Wrigglebum Tue 27-Sep-11 16:01:59

No idea if they're safe or not but I can't stand bloody mushrooms and the smell of them cooking makes me heave!

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Tue 27-Sep-11 16:02:45

Can you not put him in the buggy for 10mins while you cut it?
as my DH keeps suggesting to me when I tell him to do it?

Wrigglebum Tue 27-Sep-11 16:15:11

It's quite a big lawn so 10 mins wouldn't do it (hence we don't get round to it so much). Might just have to lock him inside with a Mr Tumble or two...
Sure we'd still get the fungus though as it even pops up where the grass is bare, ggrrr

UsAndTwo Tue 27-Sep-11 16:22:01

One of mums at school with lots of DS has astro turfed back garden - says it is the best thing she ever did!

scampadoodle Tue 27-Sep-11 16:22:25

We've got fake grass & I've never regretted it. It's a small, weirdly-shaped area though. I wouldn't have done it if we had a large lawn.

We've had it a few years & now there are weeds growing through it but that's partly because I don't pick them early enough.

emsyj Tue 27-Sep-11 16:24:39

Eeeek, astroturf really hurts if you fall over on it - as I discovered to my cost at a posh tennis club when I took a tumble. Yowsa.

scampadoodle Tue 27-Sep-11 16:26:01

No, ours is really soft. You can get different piles, like carpet. I wouldn't put proper tennis-court Astroturf in my garden...

Dillydollydaydream Tue 27-Sep-11 16:29:06

DH keeps going on about getting artificial grass. I'm not 100% sure what it'll look like. He reckons it'll look hood but I think he's just thinking of not having the mow the lawn anymore!

I'd love it if I could afford it smile

FairyBlueBell Tue 27-Sep-11 16:32:56

We have astro turf stuff and it's fab on a small space - DH got fed up of the boggy area in the shade with patchy moss and wisps of grass. It's also brill under the slide and trampoline wink

emsyj Tue 27-Sep-11 16:57:28

Ah, I'm obviously not an astroturf buff! Soft lovely artificial grass sounds amazing and I would get it in a heartbeat.

BaronessOrczy Tue 27-Sep-11 17:09:56

My MIL has just had her lawn removed and astroturf put down.

We can't stop laughing, it looks completely freakily smooth. At least if she's ever short of a bob or two she could rent it to the local bowling club.

Wrigglebum Tue 27-Sep-11 17:11:06

Looks bloody expensive though, maybe it's just better to get the guy who cuts my neighbours' lawns to do ours, don't think he's too expensive. And people keep going on about Greenthumb and the like...

mistlethrush Tue 27-Sep-11 17:13:09

Its hopeless for wildlife of course.

I have cut the lawn (not small) with ds on my back. Don't recommend it, but if that's your only choice...

Proudnscary Tue 27-Sep-11 17:13:32

Do it.

Bearskinwoolies Tue 27-Sep-11 17:40:05

Dh wanted to get it done as he was fed up with mowing, but I much prefer the wildlife in our garden instead.

Happymm Tue 27-Sep-11 17:45:48

Did it at our old house. Was completely fabulous in every way. Was like a lovely soft carpet outside, so didn't need mowing, dried in an instant after rain, so the DC were outside playing on it constantly. They even did jigsaws on it, it was so carpet like smile

YNK Tue 27-Sep-11 17:49:29

I have astro turf in the area the dogs and cat use. It's fabulous stuff. I used a company called Verdigrass and bought it from their bargain section (used and offcuts). It's very expensive but worth every penny for high traffic areas or pets pens.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 27-Sep-11 17:52:56

They are now selling it on Homebase - looks pretty realistic too.

I think it's a great idea as the modern ones let the water through properly so have less environmental impact.

However when I mentioned it to a lentil weaving mate she whined on and on about the insects and the worms hmm

I say fuck the insects grin

MrsRobertDuvall Tue 27-Sep-11 17:53:50

Our lawn has fungus which is making my dh cry.
He loves his lawn, it has bowling green stripes on it from his careful mowing.
I couldn't give 2 hoots....the garden is 100 feet long, and I would concrete it tomorrow.

WhoahThere Tue 27-Sep-11 17:55:10

Another artificial lawn here! V expensive (same as carpet!) but ours is small so not too bad. We absolutely love it, would recommend it!

nancerama Tue 27-Sep-11 18:05:20

MIL has a teeny tiny square of AstroTurf in the middle of her back garden. I have to restrain myself from making a little pyramid of shiny apples in the middle of it like the fruit man at the market.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Tue 27-Sep-11 18:35:41

My house is arranged over 3 floors and I astroturfed my large-ish 2nd floor flat roof. It's one of the best things I've ever done. Sitting out at night among the rooftops of central London with a few hundred solar-powered white fairy lights, a few candles, and an appropriate beverage, is pure bliss.

I have a friend who's astroturfed his huge living room floor and it looks magnificent - I couldn't resist buying him a garden gnome for his birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now