Advanced search

To offer massage when I'm not completely qualified

(42 Posts)
Ruggybug Tue 27-Sep-11 10:43:45

Hi all!Changed name but been here for years now!
I trained years ago in beauty therapy.In the second year I did aromatherapy and massage.Due to serious family problems I had to pull out of the course when I only had a few months to go.
I enjoyed massage and spent months studying it and have given massages to friends and family and have been told I'm very good at it.
DH works full time and I have 2 dc and I'm a SAHM as I can't afford to go back to work until they're in full time education.
Just wondered if you think it would BU to work as a mobile massage therapist when I am trained but I'm not officially qualified on paper?
Also do any other mn's have any info on a part time massage course?
It seems such a shame to have to start all again from the beginnig(not to mention expensive being around £1000 for an evening course).
Also how many of you actually use a mobile massage therapist or in this day and age do you just go to your local salon/gym?
Any advice really appreciated thanks for readingsmile

BlueCat2010 Tue 27-Sep-11 10:47:25

I think it would be a big mistake - what if you inadvertantly hurt someone and they sue you? No insurance is going to cover you!

slavetofilofax Tue 27-Sep-11 10:49:34

You won't get insurance without a qualification, so no.

Meteorite Tue 27-Sep-11 10:51:29

YABU - agree with BlueCat.

StrandedBear Tue 27-Sep-11 10:53:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

worraliberty Tue 27-Sep-11 10:53:19

I doubt an unqualified Masseuse would get the insurance needed.

Have you looked around for an intermediate course?

Ruggybug Tue 27-Sep-11 10:55:18

I'm looking into courses right now.You are all right.It's not worth hurting someone.I will have to start again.Thankyou for the repliessmile

mycatoscar Tue 27-Sep-11 10:56:23

what did you study in the first year? Are you qualified in that? Couldnt you offer a mobile service in something else? That would help pay towards the course to complete your massage qualification? And you could offer free massages etc whilst on your course to your clients, my mum did this and afterwards her training "bodies" became clients for massage. Coudl you do a couple of shorter courses, for example, indian head massge or hopi ear candles? They would be cheaper but expand your repetoire.

I would def use a mobile service for massage/pedicure/manicure etc, would be lovely not to have to get in the car and drive after having a relaxing treatment.

But YABU to do anything you arent covered by your insurance for, it is not worth the risk.

notcitrus Tue 27-Sep-11 10:58:39

Call ITEC or whatever exam board you were studying for, and see if you can do the exam only rather than the whole course again, or talk to a local college about doing just the last term. Independent ones may be more flexible than council-run colleges.
I did the ITEC massage and aromatherapy course some years ago and we negotiated a deal where we'd teach ourselves the theory (mostly medical students, so stuff we knew anyway) and pay half price for the course.

You will need the qualification to get insurance. Don't even think of being employed without. But a visiting massage person might work well as a business.

Ruggybug Tue 27-Sep-11 11:02:24

Thankyou mycatoscar!That's great advice.I am qualified in facial massage,shoulders and upper back massage,leg massage and hand arm massage but just not whole body massage(as random as that sounds!)as that came in the second year.
Indian head massage is a shorter and cheaper course so I'm going to look into that through hot courses website right now!Thanks again.

pinkdelight Tue 27-Sep-11 11:03:50

I agree that to advertise and act as a mobile massage therapist you would have to have a decent qualification. But whilst you're studying for that, I don't really see why you couldn't earn a bit of extra money by doing massages. Just don't call yourself a therapist and try to go through friend's recommendations. We see a Thai masseuse at her house around the corner and she's bloody good, but I doubt she's got insurance and it's cash-in-hand. Sure people will say it's dodgy (not in the happy finish sense!), but people do it and as long as you're careful i.e. don't get involved with major back problems, do it more for people who just need relaxation etc. then I'm sure you'll be fine and be able to fund your course. Good luck.

mycatoscar Tue 27-Sep-11 11:29:46

Ruggybug, where are you based btw? Am serious when I say I would use the service smile

aldiwhore Tue 27-Sep-11 11:45:54

I think as long as you advertise that you're not qualified (yet) and its for training purposes, I don't see the difference it what you're doing and say a trainee hairdresser.

Aromatherapy massages needn't be heavy handed, and if you were an untrained chiropractor I'd worry a little unless you were supervised, but a gentle aromatherapy massage? You have to practice on someone.... I would definitely look at getting fully qualified for insurance purposes, and it may be worth speaking to the college about what the policy is for 'practicing' on others.

Stoirin Tue 27-Sep-11 11:59:27

anybody can call themselves a massage therapist, or almost anything else they desire. There are few professions that are very regulated, in that area particularly. You can't pretend to have quals that you don't have, but you can call yourself whatever and massage whoever you want for money.

confusedpixie Tue 27-Sep-11 12:04:12

If you were to redo the course you could offer the whole body massages on the understanding that you aren't yet qualified but are in training. Thats what my Mum did but she refused to do anything she hadn't yet learnt (so would practice arms and upper back but wouldn't do lower if she hadn't covered it yet) iyswim? Don't charge much (or anything) for services you aren't qualified to do and that you are only practicing though, and make it clear that you are not qualified to do it so that the person has a choice.

ujjayi Tue 27-Sep-11 12:07:07

You need to be fully qualified, a member of IFPA or similar and hold full public liability insurance. Without the first two you won't get the third.

I am an aromatherapist. Essential oils and massage should not be used by those not properly qualified. You can do a lot of damage and harm with both the oils and the massage techniques. Just because a substance is "natural" does not make it any less dangerous than medicines. "Gentle Aromatherapy Massage" can be just as likely to cause a problem as deep tissue work.

Please, for your own sake, the sake of your clients and the reputation of massage & aromatherapy generally, do not go in to this without proper qualifications. It does matter.

ILoatheMickeyMouseClubhouse Tue 27-Sep-11 12:13:55

I think you can do a home-study or a 2-day course in massage with Herts and Essex Academy (I think they have namechanged now but if you google them then their new site will come up in the search).

carabos Tue 27-Sep-11 12:17:53

As long as you don't mislead people into thinking that you are fully trained, qualified and insured, and as long as your prices reflect the fact, then YANBU.

kansasmum Tue 27-Sep-11 12:22:35

I am a qualified therapist and as such think you would be mad to practice without qualification as you will have no insurance and anyone practicing without insurance, is, quite frankly, nuts!! I also doubt very much you would get any clients if you advertised as not qualified.

I did my course part time at weekends and thought the standard was very high. It was an ITEC course. Many schools will let you break the payments down so you pay over the length of the course-would that help.

Just be aware that some of the online courses are not recognised courses when it comes to insurance so check with
This website also lists courses- look under "education' on the site.

I seem to remember a small part of my course fees went to covering the cost of insurance whilst training- I know I was covered for my training massages on my willing guinea pig friends!

kansasmum Tue 27-Sep-11 12:23:54

PS: A 2 day course does NOT make you a qualified massage therapist. My course was 7-8 months and we studied anatomy and physiology in detail.

sausagesandmarmelade Tue 27-Sep-11 12:25:16

I'd be very careful.

If someone has a back/neck problem and you're not suitably trained, you could aggravate their condition.

You really need to know what you're doing.

ujjayi Tue 27-Sep-11 12:29:15

Agree that a 2 day weekend course does not make you a qualified therapist. I had to clock up 60 hours of case study work, in addition to a 2 year part time course to meet the requirements of the professional body to which I belong and their insurance plan.

Ruggybug Tue 27-Sep-11 17:11:46

Catsocar-I'm based in Buckhurst Hill near Epping/Chigwell but also close to London as Central line near!Let me know!I'm more than happy for you to be my 'beauty guinea pig'grinThankyou again!

Everyone else thanks for the positive helful replies.Going to look into advertising as a 'trainee' I think as long as I make that clear hopefully they can't/won't 'sue' for anything God forbids anything happens(?).

Thankyou everybodysmile

ujjayi Tue 27-Sep-11 17:19:22

Ruggy - even as a trainee you need insurance, I'm afraid. You can still be sued if you are a trainee and therefore you need liability cover.

Ruggybug Tue 27-Sep-11 17:24:17

Thanks for making me aware of that ujjayi!I didn' think I would need insurance(stupidly enough maybe).
I know when therapists are training that they need bodies to practise on and didn't cross my mind that they're insured so thanks for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now