Talk

Advanced search

Is DH being unreasonable about a pan that boiled over?

(30 Posts)
lonelyplanetmum Mon 26-Sep-11 21:43:54

Just before DH came home from work this evening I was cooking. My youngest DD ( aged 3) called me to her bedroom to help her into a princess dress, wings and shoes etc. While we were wrestling her into the dress a pan of rice boiled over and left an average sized mess of spilt water on the 10 year old cooker.Although it was easy to clean I didn't get around to it as was serving supper, helping older DD with homework and printing off some info I need for work tomorrow! DH came home immediately saw the spilt water on the cooker and exclaimed " JEEZZ! " in an angry exasperated voice. (Also I had been out specially today to get him a special sirloin steak as a treat ). Is DH being unreasonable?!
For supper

JaneFonda Mon 26-Sep-11 21:45:30

Err... YABU? Not really sure what the issue is here, to be honest.

lonelyplanetmum Mon 26-Sep-11 21:45:32

Sorry the words " for supper" weren't needed!

lonelyplanetmum Mon 26-Sep-11 21:47:33

The issue is he was basically complaining at me and was cross because a pan had boiled over and I hadn't cleaned it up immediately !

AgentZigzag Mon 26-Sep-11 21:47:52

Had he had a bad day?

If he's like it all the time, he was being unreasonable and petty.

Tell him to clean it up himself if he's that bothered.

I'd leave it for a couple of days to prove the point <not petty at all grin>

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Mon 26-Sep-11 21:47:55

Tell him to be glad he doesn't live in my house. The number of pans I used to burn when I cooked savoury rice. That would give him something to complain about.

YANBU

JaneFonda Mon 26-Sep-11 21:48:51

Did he actually complain though? If he just made a noise, that's not an issue at all.

If I got home and saw stuff spilt then I would probably exclaim something, but this isn't exactly a big deal, is it?

Or you could leave him.

SandStorm Mon 26-Sep-11 21:49:46

Good job he doesn't live here. I once managed to burn a boiled egg blush

AgentZigzag Mon 26-Sep-11 21:51:17

If I got home and saw stuff spilt I'd probably exlaim something too jane, but then I do all the majority of the cleaning.

Unless the OP's going to tell us he does all the housework, he was just being critical and taking whatever's wrong with him out on the OP.

maighdlin Mon 26-Sep-11 21:51:25

He is being U. Its a small mess of water, not sulphuric acid! Me and DH are mismatched he has to have DD's toys put away immediately i like to leave it to the end of the day, she's just going to get it out again shes 2!! (sorry slight divergence)

squeakytoy Mon 26-Sep-11 21:52:18

I regularly burn boiled eggs.. I wander off to do something and forget all about them until I hear the eggs rattling away in an empty pan..

ChippingIn Mon 26-Sep-11 22:00:22

Of course HE IBU

FGS it was a bit of water on the stove...

Is he usually this much of a tit?

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Mon 26-Sep-11 22:03:29

YABU to have married a man who can say "Jeezz" with a straight face.

eaglewings Mon 26-Sep-11 22:04:19

Tell him to buy you a microwave rice cooker so it doesn't happen again wink

niceguy2 Mon 26-Sep-11 22:04:57

Dump the bastard! grin

TrillianAstra Mon 26-Sep-11 22:05:11

YABU to serve sirloin steak with rice.

Kayano Mon 26-Sep-11 22:08:44

He said jeez...

That was it

This is rediculous

Proudnscary Mon 26-Sep-11 22:11:14

What's the random 'For supper' about?
And what is an 'average sized' spillage - all spillages are relative you know...
Jeez.

Sandstorm, I once managed to explode two eggs and another time we had to evactuate the house for hours to escape the fumes from the great pork pie versus the plastic plate in the microwave saga blush

AgentZigzag Mon 26-Sep-11 22:15:22

Depends on whether there was an eye roll or not Kayano.

Minor, but important wink

Rice water is a shit to clean if you leave it though, it's all starchy and goes into a raw egg/snot/jizz consistency, which is revolting to clean up.

redwineattheweekend Mon 26-Sep-11 22:18:29

FFS how daft of him. I come home to bombsite if DH been "working at home", spilt water on cooker i'd be thankful for!!! He is BU

SheCutOffTheirTails Mon 26-Sep-11 22:25:42

Was he rolling his eyes because you didn't use the absorption method to cook your rice?

My DH would roll his eyes about that. He is almost evangelical about it hmm

I am very bad at cooking rice well, which makes around half the people (the ones who insist it is easy) quite exasperated.

lonelyplanetmum Mon 26-Sep-11 23:03:42

Thanks to AgentZigzag for the suggestion of leaving the mess for two days to make a point (and thanks for the other comments too)! Just to complete the picture,DH's loud exclamation was indeed accompanied by an eye roll and a sort of dramatic despairing flap of both hands vaguely in the direction of the spillage. Earlier I was feeling like DH's domestic obsessions are like that man in "Sleeping with the enemy"! Now I have got my sense of humour back,and realise that no true cleanliness psychopath would use the expression "Jeez" . ( Finally TrillianAstra the rice was to go with DC's supper and not the steak!)

scuzy Mon 26-Sep-11 23:15:58

he is BU

however you are BVU to leave a pan boiling on an unattended stove!!

threeinmybed Mon 26-Sep-11 23:18:57

He probably just had a bad day OP, I wouldn't take it to heart.

I can over react to stupid things too I've had a rough one. Has he mentioned it since?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now