Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why Quality Street still exist?

(77 Posts)
Euphemia Mon 26-Sep-11 19:44:51

They're vile, sub-Roses.

Got a box from MIL today. I'm only eating them to get rid of them. grin

Is it really necessary to have three variations on crown-extracting toffee?

Strawberry ones are yummy though!!

HeadfirstForHocusPocus Mon 26-Sep-11 19:46:07

My dog likes it when we have quality street as she gets to eat the toffee pennies, so for that reason yabu grin

Andrewofgg Mon 26-Sep-11 19:46:30

Because people buy them?

LollipopViolet Mon 26-Sep-11 19:47:25

YABU I looooooove the toffee ones.

It's the ones where someone has been stupid enough to decide that chocolate and fruit need to mix that drive me insane and we always get LOADS of the orange and strawberry ones! sad

MurunBuchstansangur Mon 26-Sep-11 19:48:25

Old people who don't 'get' celebrations.

Roses and Quality Street are defunct now that celebrations are on the scene, but my granny won't entertain those young upstarts!

MissTapestry Mon 26-Sep-11 19:49:06

Caramel ones are my favouritest, but the coconut shite should all be banned.

Olivetti Mon 26-Sep-11 19:49:15

Did they abolish the coffee ones? They were lush.

SelkirkGrace Mon 26-Sep-11 19:49:19

They exsist so that I can eat all the strawberry ones. I'll send you all the ones with toffee in any form

Greensleeves Mon 26-Sep-11 19:49:59

celebrations betray a total lack of imagination imo

I like something a bit different at Christmas, not little versions of the same old shite

gastrognome Mon 26-Sep-11 19:51:19

YABU. Haven't met a Quality Street I didn't like.
OK, they aren't posh Belgian chocolates (and I live in Belgium... And believe it or not they do sell them here too) but they are sort of harmless and nice and there's something very aesthetically pleasing and tactile about the wrappers.

LadyWord Mon 26-Sep-11 19:54:24

Are celebrations those ones that are mini versions of normal choc bars? <old>

If so they are crap and boring because you're not getting anything unusual.
QS are vile, but they're kind of a tradition aren't they. There's one or two you like (green triangle if you have any sense) and the aim of the game is to eat them all asap before anyone else does, until only the tooth-ripping brick-like toffees remain.

Christmas wouldn't be christmas without lying semi-comatose on a wrapping-paper-strewn sofa with your stuffed gut 3 feet high in the air, feeling around in the box for a green triangle.

In fact <philosophical> QS are much like Xmas itself - grim, but a tradition we can't let go of.

MrsKwazii Mon 26-Sep-11 19:55:05

YABVVVVU! The green triangle! The purple one with the caramel and a nut in it! The sickly-sweet strawberry one! <dribbles>.

Although, if you don't like them - more for me grin and thanks

Meteorite Mon 26-Sep-11 19:56:20

If you don't like them why not take them somewhere and hand them around? Lots of people will think you are generous and next time they have a box of Roses they'll share them with you. (I prefer QS though!)

grovel Mon 26-Sep-11 19:56:37

Nicely put, LadyWord.

Kladdkaka Mon 26-Sep-11 19:57:32

The exist to keep Royal Mail afloat. Do you have any idea how much it costs mother to post us numerous tins of them every Christmas?

My favourite are the orange ones following the demise of the coffees. sad

PickleSarnie Mon 26-Sep-11 19:57:56

I miss the peanut cracknels (sp). I used to pillage the pick 'n' mix in Woolies and pick out all the peanutie lovelies

wigglesrock Mon 26-Sep-11 19:58:08

I love them, I thought they went a bit downhill for a while but bought a £5 tin was given a tin for being a wonderful person at the weekend and yum, yum, yum although I love toffee.

AnaisB Mon 26-Sep-11 19:58:28

YANBU - the trauma on Christmas day of opening a Roses shaped parcel to discover QS inside. They could at least have a different shaped box so I didn't get my hopes up.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 26-Sep-11 19:59:24

Because you can't have Christmas without them ffs. Santa only exists because QS allow him to. Without them, it all goes to cock.

My parents don't like Celebrations either, think it's definitely an old person thing grin

Bathsheba Mon 26-Sep-11 20:01:14

Far far prefer QS to Celebrations. Really can't get excited about them - last time I had some I ended up melting them all together and making crispy cakes

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 26-Sep-11 20:03:37

yummmmm, peanut cracknels grin. I miss those things!

Proudnscary Mon 26-Sep-11 20:06:41

Two words: green triangles.

That's why QS are still going strong.

Sidge Mon 26-Sep-11 20:09:53

Celebrations are just rubbish.

They're like real chocolate but with an identity crisis.

Am I a Snickers Bar? No, I'm too small but I'll pretend I am one even though I'm too small to touch the sides on the way down, so you'll think you're eating a Snickers Bar but it's all a big CON.

At least with QS you know where you are - it does what it says on the tin.

mousesma Mon 26-Sep-11 20:10:01

YABU sub-roses indeed pfft. They are a million times better than manky old roses.
I have special love for the toffee penny and the strawberry ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now