Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to wonder how to keep my 16 month old safe

(13 Posts)
butterflyexperience Mon 26-Sep-11 18:23:07

I've nicknamed her danger baby.
It seems that if there is ever anything slightly dangerous around she will get her paws on it.

Just now she has dragged a plastic Childs chair from her room into my bedroom, stood on it, pulled down my hair staightners from the top of my chest of draws, dragged the straightners over to a plug socket in my room that has a safety socket in it which she can pull out so is useless and intended on plugging in my hair straightners.

How on earth do I keep her safe??? Put everything under lock and key???

By the way just before she pulled out the safety plug socket I took off the hair straightners from her,

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Mon 26-Sep-11 18:24:55

My nearly one year old is a climber.
When do we get those eyes in the back of our heads that our mums had???

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 26-Sep-11 18:26:23

Extra supervision and eyes in the back of your head lol.

When up stairs put her in her bedroom with a safety gate and remove any dangers in the living room

Tee2072 Mon 26-Sep-11 18:27:03

Eyes in the back of your head are actually your ears. Listen even more than you watch. And if they're quiet? Investigate!

You really can't baby proof everything, it isn't possible. So just keep saying no and moving her away.

RitaMorgan Mon 26-Sep-11 18:27:26

Where were you while she was doing this?

You just have to watch them when they are in potentially dangerous rooms.

butterflyexperience Mon 26-Sep-11 18:27:31

This climbing lark is dreadful!
I'm begging to realise she can't be left alone in any part of the house which is a pain as when I'm cooking she normally wonders around the house entertaining herself

butterflyexperience Mon 26-Sep-11 18:30:02

I was in the same room sitting on my bed dressing dd1 for bed

Trouble with dd2 is that she's normally quite.

I don't want to repress her natural curiosity or independence but not to the risk of her safety

Mishy1234 Mon 26-Sep-11 18:32:14

You have my sympathy, it's VERY hard work.

DS1 was an angel in comparison to to his younger brother who at 11 months was found on top of the piano. You know, the place where I thought all my stuff was safe, or should I say where I could put my stuff to keep HIM safe.

We have a very small bungalow, so easier to manage than some houses, but it's still tough. Eye's in the back of your head are a must (if you find a good supplier, can you let me know?) and I second the 'investigate if quiet' tip.

butterflyexperience Mon 26-Sep-11 18:39:44

Thanks for advice.
Seems like I can't just let dd2 go play <sigh>

Stayathomebum Mon 26-Sep-11 18:55:36

Same problem here too. Dd also 16 months and has to run everywhere, but her body can't keep up with her legs so she ends up hitting the deck. I am constantly lunging at her to try and get to her before she smacks her head on something but then again I don't want to be too pfb and follow her around with a pillow.

I just try and keep a very close eye on her and don't leave her in rooms alone but have signed up for a paediatric first aid course in a couple of weeks just in case!

blackeyedsusan Mon 26-Sep-11 19:16:39

can she manage to climb a stair gate? can she escape from being buckled into a high chair? (with additional reins over the tops of the straps? ) i
if therer is enough room, she could go in the kitchen whilst you are cooking and play with some special high chair toys? (play dough o cups, spoons, scoops, jugs and some water to pour and drink.)

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 19:22:59

We HAD to buy a tv cabinet with lockable doors from Ikea, we had to literally lock everything away until ds was about 6 becuase he would just dice with death otherwise.

I couldnt have anything nice as not only was he curious to the max, but he was destrcutive too. He would bash, bang, throw, drop and stamp on anything he got his hands on.

Tricky times indeed.

ChippingIn Mon 26-Sep-11 19:31:33

If you decide to get a stair gate - get the ones for dogs, they're just the same but higher!

Other than that, I guess you just have to keep her where you can see her at all times and remember that it wont last forever it will just seem like it.

... and buy lots of wine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now