Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Make My DDs Do Chores?

(66 Posts)
LeQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 17:28:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 17:32:17

DEFO NBU, absolutely not!
My ds aged 8 has to empty the dishwasher every day, sort out the rubbish for recycling and put the rubbish out. We give him £5 on a Friday for this.
He also has to make his bed, tidy up after himself, clear the table...for no pay, this is expected of him.

He saves his money for stuff he sees on adverts on TV that i refuse to buy for him.

IMHO this instills a knowledge of money, working for what they have, principles and will make him a considerate and team playing adult.

He is my pfb, but he defo is not a little prince, nonononono.

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 17:32:17

YANBU, people (my mates) wonder why their teens won't do a thing round the house and imo it's because they weren't expected to do it when they were younger.

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 17:33:37

Your 8 year old gets a fiver? <faints>

I'll come and empty your dishwasher for you and take your rubbish out giggle grin

thestringcheeseincident Mon 26-Sep-11 17:37:49

Are your daughters complaining about it? If not, I wouldn't change a thing. It's good for them to help out.

I just had a guest (cousins daughter) here from Australia for 2 weeks, 21 years old and NO idea how to use a washing machine. Had never washed before. I found that strange and rather pathetic.

squeakytoy Mon 26-Sep-11 17:45:23

Hanging up your own coat and putting away your own shoes is surely not a "chore" but part of being a responsible human being.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 26-Sep-11 17:53:43

LeQueen, I think what your DDs do is about right. As they grow, other things can be added in, if you feel necessary.

Chores are essential, both in the present and in prearation for their future.

Bogeyface Mon 26-Sep-11 17:56:05

I hope not because if you are then I am too!

Everyone has a job that is theirs to do, and then there are the random jobs that are handed out on an "as and when" basis. DD1 (14) does the dishwasher, DD2 (9) lays and clears the table, DD3 (6) puts the recycling out and DS1 (5) helps with the laundry. Coats/shoes/lunchboxes are done as soon as they get in and then they also have to tidy their playroom and make their beds etc. DD1 also cooks dinner occasionally but that is more of a treat as she loves cooking and asks to do it.

Oh and if jobs arent done then pocket money isnt paid!

DizzyKipper Mon 26-Sep-11 17:56:55

When you were asking that I thought you were going to follow with a huge list of unreasonable jobs for your children to complete. What you're saying are surely things that take 5mins, if that. Ignore your friends.

mellymooks Mon 26-Sep-11 17:59:16

YDNBU my DD (almost 4) already "helps out" she helps me making dinner, loves chopping up mushrooms with her plastic knife, stirring the pot (because that's why it tastes nice isn't Mummy cause I stirred it grin) sprinkling on cheese etc, she helps me empty the dishwasher and tidy up her toys, she asks to do these things, she likes being involved and I figure I might as well start early so that in a few years time it's second nature to help out. My Mum and DP's Mum always complained we did nothing to help as teenagers, but why would it even occur to us as teenagers when we had never been asked to help before?! (By the way I will be doing the same with DS, no double standards in this house!!)

LeQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 18:00:18

SuePurblybilt Mon 26-Sep-11 18:01:48

DD is four and tidies her room, sets the table, puts away her own things - lots of jobs along those lines. She gets a pound a week for that: 50p for the bank and 50p to spend on crap whatever she likes. She also does bigger jobs at about 50p a go to save up for things.

So if you are Evil Pit Owner mother, I am worse.

LeQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 18:02:00

DandyLioness Mon 26-Sep-11 18:02:02

LeQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 18:02:46

DandyLioness Mon 26-Sep-11 18:03:34

LeQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 18:04:54

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Mon 26-Sep-11 18:07:32

Ds1 is 2 and bloody loves Housework.

He "makes" his bed, puts his dirty clothes in the wash basket, loads washing machine, sweeps kitchen floor, wipes the patio doors (well they are his handprints) puts his toys away after dinner and whatever else he fancies at the time.

The 1yr old however just trashes the place. grin

DandyLioness Mon 26-Sep-11 18:09:13

SuePurblybilt Mon 26-Sep-11 18:09:44

Then you are worse grin. Or am I, for encouraging rampant materialism and resorting to bribery?
Luckily I don't give a duck's chuff if people think I'm mean or not. There are two of us in our family and we both help out, end of.

Dandy, thank you <bows>

YouHaveNoPowerOverMe Mon 26-Sep-11 18:09:47

Ps: YANBU. blush

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 19:03:28

"ducks chuff."..LOVE IT!!! Im nicking that and gonna use it to death,

exoticfruits Mon 26-Sep-11 19:08:45

YANBU. In the paper today it said that most freshers at university were unable even to boil an egg, they had never used a washing machine, ironed their own clothes and had no idea whatsoever on how to clean a bathroom-they had never done it. It is quite frightening that they are let loose with no life skills.
My only regret is that I didn't start mine off much younger.

FabbyChic Mon 26-Sep-11 19:10:53

Each to their own. I worked 40 hours a week, with two boys single parent, 7.5 and 2.5 initially, they never done any chores. Why? because I had plenty of time to do them myself.

They did put their stuff away automatically, the took their plates out to the kitchen, they put their dirty laundry in the washing basket. We never ate at a table the house was too small so no dining room.

Children should clear up after themselves agree, but not clear up after adults.

noddyholder Mon 26-Sep-11 19:14:18

Better to start early or you will end up like me brandishing a large stick and with one hand on the modem switch in order to get ds to do anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now