Talk

Advanced search

Quantum Mechanics

(37 Posts)
TequillaMockingBird Mon 26-Sep-11 15:39:04

...to think that Quantum Mechanics involves impossibly complex theories on the wave-particle duality of energy and matter at the sub-atomic level, and -though it does involve inherent uncertainty in knowing both velocity and exact position of microscopic particles - should be left alone by fringe-thinkers seeking to justify their hypothesis that the universe wraps itself around their wishful thinking that e.g. a packet of medium-posh biscuits will magically materialize on their kitchen counter?

aldiwhore Mon 26-Sep-11 15:39:59

YANBU.

Other than that whoooooosh

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:42:07

Don't. I've just answered a question about the quark model of hadrons and the boson model of the weak nuclear reaction and how they can explain how leptons can arise from lambda decay for my OU science assignment.

Brain-frying in the extreme.

JugsMcGee Mon 26-Sep-11 15:42:41

Depends on what the medium-posh biscuits are.

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 15:43:39

Those biscuits are going to appear any day now <<<eyes up counter>>>

In the (almost correctly remembered) words of Leonard Hoffsteder (TBBT) 'Sorry, but I guess prefer my universe stringy rather than loopy'.

nenevomito Mon 26-Sep-11 15:43:53

Well apart from the bit about the Biscuits, which makes it sound like you've confused quantum mechanics with Cosmic (on-line) Ordering YANBU.

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 15:45:45

Callisto.... which course? The particle physics on S104 fried my brain so badly I decided an observational interest in the subject is the limit of my capabilities!

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:47:01

Ahhh, cosmic online ordering. I'd love a Klingon bird of prey...

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:48:21

S104. I love physics, especially cutting edge particle physics, but I do find it all rather incomprehensible.

ShimmeryPixie Mon 26-Sep-11 15:48:41

The biscuits went into the box with Schrodingers cat.

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Mon 26-Sep-11 15:49:28

You have to say "Make it So" like you mean it <nods wisely>

ShimmeryPixie Mon 26-Sep-11 15:49:37

I'd prefer a Millenium Falcon please

TequillaMockingBird Mon 26-Sep-11 15:49:54

Callisto, sounds interesting. Is the scenario that the lambda particle converts to a proton & emits a muon / muon antineutrino?

fedupandtired Mon 26-Sep-11 15:51:28

And in plain english that means...

CMOTdibbler Mon 26-Sep-11 15:51:55

Well, apart from the problems of the action of observer interaction, although we cannot rule out the possibilities of a packet of biscuits appearing, entropy dictates that the organisation of that number of atoms into a useful item, and then appearing in the required place would take an amount of energy equal to the destruction of the earth

stellarpunk Mon 26-Sep-11 15:51:58

Agree; also not v happy with the standard model. Anyhoo, particle physics not in new exam spec. And since when have neutrinos been able to travel faster than C?

Its all very strange, what are CERN playing at!

nenevomito Mon 26-Sep-11 15:52:04

<misreads lambda for lambada>

That was one funky particle I thought you had there for a moment!

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:52:39

Indeedy, Tequilla. It also emits a -W boson in the process, so conserving electric charge. wink

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 26-Sep-11 15:52:46

I am a quark, up, down, top, bottom (snigger), charm and most especially strange.

stellarpunk Mon 26-Sep-11 15:52:52

S104. I love physics, especially cutting edge particle physics, but I do find it all rather incomprehensible.

Oh yes. It is.

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 15:54:34

You missed out peppermint and sex appeal Mrs T Pratchett.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 26-Sep-11 15:54:47

YABVVVVU!!!!! This is exactly the kind of reactionary, knee-jerk virtual biscuit-scrounging propaganda that makes my blood boil angry

SummerRain Mon 26-Sep-11 15:54:58

<<<Summer considers answering Tequilla's question>>>

<<<Summer decides Callisto probably has the books handy anyway and needs the revision>>>

<<<Summer admits she can't completely remember the answer>>>

Callisto, it's an excellant course.... are you heading for a degree? I just finished S250 and it was very good too but much less scary hard stuff grin

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 26-Sep-11 15:56:19

Callisto I am definitely peppermint and sex appeal <twirls>

TequillaMockingBird Mon 26-Sep-11 16:00:34

(Side debate: quantum mechanics + special relativity = quantum field theory?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now