Talk

Advanced search

To let DS walk into school playground on his own?

(12 Posts)
gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 14:49:32

He is 8. in year 4

There is me, and about 4 other mothers in the playground every morning and every evening.

The last week, i have been dropping him outside the school gates at the very last minute before the bell goes, then go to work.

I feel very very uncomfortable, because up until this point, i have always stood with him in the play ground till he goes into the classroom.

Im not sure but i presume that all other parents drop their kids off because the play ground is full of kids, with only us parents in the play ground.

This is not for my conveneince BUT it means that i am getting to work about 15 minutes earlier than i was, which is good for me, but is it what is best for my ds?

southeastastra Mon 26-Sep-11 14:50:50

i did similar, my son used to just run off with his mates anyway.

Fuzzywuzzywozabear Mon 26-Sep-11 14:52:40

We're not allowed to wait on junior playground. We're supposed to drop then and go from year 3 onwards

CurrySpice Mon 26-Sep-11 14:52:49

At my DDs' Junior school (year 3 upwards) no parents are allowed in in the mornings. They are dropped off at the gate in the morning and that's it.

He'll be fine if you just drop him off. I assume he goes off to play anyway so you're just standing there waiting?

Seems a bit daft. Just drop him and go and stop off for a coffee get to work earlier

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 26-Sep-11 14:52:58

My ds (Yr 3) positively encourages me to say goodbye just outside the school gates these days. I get a chance of a sneaky kiss then, cos he certainly won't kiss me in the playground in front of his mates.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:54:25

I was walking to school by myself at 8 and will be expecting my ds's to as well. I know it depends on exact circumstances, not least of which is distance and roads, but I wouldn't have a moments thought about dropping him at the gate. He's year 4, not 4 years old, don't sweat it smile

Groovee Mon 26-Sep-11 14:54:39

My 8 year old has been going to his door for a year as he said it wasn't cool for me to be there. A lot of his year are the oldest so parents are elsewhere in the school at other doors. It got lonely so I listened to him. On my work days he walks with the other children from the childminders.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Mon 26-Sep-11 15:01:32

If there is only you and 3 or 4 other mothers does that mean all the others drop'n'run?

There's your answer then.

gigglepin Mon 26-Sep-11 15:06:46

I presume so foryour, i just wondered what you all do.

Give um roots but wings...i know i know.

pfb...can you tell??? gringrin

moogster1a Mon 26-Sep-11 15:12:00

My Ds just started reception. The first day I walked in with him so he could find his coat peg and door to his classroom. The second day he told me he knew where he was going and to drop him at the gate. I stand at the gate and watch him go most of the way in as you can see the door from there, but to be honest, my watching time is getting less and less and I'm just assuming he gets in now!!

bananamam Mon 26-Sep-11 15:16:59

My DS is 4 and I walk him to the playground. He has been in school 6weeks and the teachers are encouraging parents to drop them in the playground and leave before the kids line up for the bell, and not hang around. He is 8, why on earth are you hanging about?

I will be walking DS to the playground this week and then after the October break(we are in Scotland) I will walk him in, ensure he has a friend, then I will leave. He wants me to leave now. I'd be worried if he wanted me there 4 years from now tbh

YANBU to let him go in alone. Yabu to continue to go in with him IMO

JennaTailor Mon 26-Sep-11 15:54:44

I drop my yr4 DS (9 next month) off at the school gate at 8.30am so that I can get to work in time. He is happy with it and we have discussed what he should do in various situations. He is often the first child in the playground.....with the others arriving 5 or so minutes behind him. So YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now