Talk

Advanced search

To want to give this cat to a loving home.

(14 Posts)
lollilou Mon 26-Sep-11 14:00:59

A stray black fluffy cat has been around for a couple of months now he is lovely, very friendly and looks like he just wants a lap to sit on and some fuss now I love cats but don't want another one as we have 2. Also this male cat has been bullying one of ours. My nephew has offered to take him. Should I let him? The cat suddenly appeared with a collar(no tag) a few days ago but he is always outside and was taken to the vet about a month ago by my next door neighbour with mange and an infected eye. The vet said he did not appear to be being looked after very well. So do I kidnap him and take him to a loving home?

Andrewofgg Mon 26-Sep-11 14:08:01

Please don't use human-conduct words like bullying about animals. They do what comes naturally to them.

Can you not track down the owner? If it has a collar it belongs to someone. I wouldn't personally just nick it.

Meteorite Mon 26-Sep-11 14:10:46

Take it to the RSPCA.

edam Mon 26-Sep-11 14:10:52

Given he had mange and an infected eye, then yes, I'd give him to your nephew. Would be worth putting some posters up/calling round the vets though, as he had a collar. Perhaps he's owned by a little old lady with poor eyesight who didn't spot his problems, or who didn't have enough money for vet's bills... (or maybe his owners are neglectful, but it's worth finding out, anyway).

LittleJennyRobyn Mon 26-Sep-11 16:05:48

I think i would try to find an owner first and asses the situation, he obviously belongs to someone if he has a collar now. Maybe leave it a few more days. and if you genuinly cant find the owner then pass him onto your nephew.

but wouldnt take it without trying to find out who put the collar on him

issey6cats Mon 26-Sep-11 17:02:58

put a paper collar with your phone number on it and a short message asking the owner to contact you if he has someone if you get no reply in a few days then he probably hasnt got an owner and then yes rehome him with your nephew, presumably as he has appeared with a brand new collar in the last few days it looks like someone has come to the same conclusion as you and decided to adopt him themselves

ChuffMuffin Mon 26-Sep-11 17:09:34

Check websites like National Pet Register, Animal Search UK, and Lostmycat.org. You can put Found notices on these sites too.

Might be worth ringing the RSPCA to advise as well.

Our cat went missing for 2 years before he turned up home again. This was was pre-internet. I'd love to know where he'd been!

squeakytoy Mon 26-Sep-11 17:12:08

Andrew, cats are very capable of bullying, as are dogs.. the difference is, they do not do it knowing that it is bad behaviour unlike adults.

booyhoo Mon 26-Sep-11 17:14:48

i think you would be wrong to take it now it has got a collar on. someone is obviously looking after it now. you could take it to the vet to see if it is chipped though and try and trace the 'owner'

PopcornMouse Mon 26-Sep-11 17:15:41

I second Issey's suggestion of a paper collar. And get him scanned by the vet for a chip, if you've not already.

hiss42 Mon 26-Sep-11 17:15:55

my cat is one that was 'kidnapped' by my auntie. It lived down her road and was either terriblly looked after or stray. He was a kitten far to young to be out and was painfully skinny and scruffy. We took him in! I'd definatley give him to your nephew.

And I agree with squeakytoy cat's can definately bully each other!

lollilou Mon 26-Sep-11 19:42:43

Thanks for your replies,
Andrew-"Bullying is a form of aggressive behavior, which may manifest as abusive treatment."
No the cat doesn't have a chip he has been checked at the vet.
I like the idea of the paper collar, I'll also try and get a photo and pop round to a few neighbours. My cat-loving next door neighbour(she has 14!) has tried the Cats Protection and the RSPCA.
I hope we find his owners soon this morning he was sheltering under a car to keep out of the rain.
My nephew wants to call him Mr Big Face.

issey6cats Mon 26-Sep-11 20:35:41

aww poor cat, and yes cats are very territorial so if he considers your garden as his territory he is trying to bully your cat out of his spec, my six generally get on ok but occasionally have a spat if one wants a chair space or to get from a to b with one of the others in the way, and out in the garden they each have thier bit to defend from the neighbours cats and god help any poor mog who dares to invade thier space

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now