Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be cross that my next door but one neighbour had a bonfire on Saturday when my washing was still on the line!

(51 Posts)
Bluebell99 Mon 26-Sep-11 13:44:19

My dh came home from getting a take away and asked if the washing was still out as the neighbour had a bonfire. So I went out to get it in, shouting what inconsiderate person would light a bonfire without checking if his neighbours had washing out. I may have swore a bit. I then sent dh round to speak to him, which he did do politely and ask if next time he could warn us. Apparently he was apologetic. Would you have been pissed off too?! Thing is, we never have bonfires, we take our rubbish to the tip, and it isnt the first time neighbour has done this, but it is the first time we have gone round to speak to him.

Andrewofgg Mon 26-Sep-11 14:13:18

You shouted and "swore a bit".

Which of you has something to be pissed off about?

Meteorite Mon 26-Sep-11 14:13:53

YANBU to expect prior warning of a bonfire from your neighbours. However they might just not have thought of it. It's good they apologised and probably won't do the same again. YABU to go out shouting and swearing before your DH had gone round to have a civil word with them.

EricNorthmansMistress Mon 26-Sep-11 14:14:16

YABU
You went out and shouted and swore a bit instead of having a word like an adult. Then the guy apologised. YABU!

Tee2072 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:14:26

Honestly, you don't own the air just because you have washing out. Your neighbour can do whatever he likes. He doesn't have to get your permission.

The sense of entitlement on MN lately is just appalling.

mumblechum1 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:14:59

Calm down dear. grin

DooinMeCleanin Mon 26-Sep-11 14:16:14

What Tee said.

PuppyMonkey Mon 26-Sep-11 14:16:21

Not much else that can be done about the whole situation now is there? Let it go. grin

What time was it when he had the bonfire btw, did you have your washing out all night?wink

Dolallytats Mon 26-Sep-11 14:18:01

It can be a pain in the bum when a neighbour makes the washing stink with a bonfire or barbecue, but you haven't really got the right to say anything. I have mumbled under my breath many a time when getting the washing in when a neighbour has done the same. However, I wouldn't be sending hubby round to have a word nor would I shout & swear so that they can hear me.

It would be nice if they warned you, but you don't have a right to be warned!!

chandellina Mon 26-Sep-11 14:18:14

YABU. if you smell a bonfire, bring in the washing, easy. They have no obligation to tell you, though I do wonder if they are actually legally allowed to have it?

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 14:20:40

Honestly, you don't own the air just because you have washing out. Your neighbour can do whatever he likes. He doesn't have to get your permission.

Exactly!

The worst case scenario is that you put the load through again.

You sent your dh round to have a word? Seriously?

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 26-Sep-11 14:21:31

SIOB.

«woodwork squeaks»

bluelaguna Mon 26-Sep-11 14:23:55

YABU. Like someone said, you don't own the air. As long as neighbour isn't doing anything against council rules (eg we can't light fires here) then YABU.

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 14:24:08

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/Escapingandrecoveringfromafire/DG_180786

Good luck proving the bonfire seriously affects you grin

Bluebell99 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:24:37

Thing is I generally don't do things that would annoy my neighbours. I would never light a bonfire. I don't play loud music in the garden. I am really glad that the neighbour now knows that his lighting a bonfire affects his neighbours. I have a friend who lives nearby who also is effected by this man's bonfires. Each time he has had a bonfire, I have had to rush out and get washing in, and have fumed silently about it. But now he knows. Anyway I didn't swear as such , just ranted what sort of idiot would light a bonfire without checking his neighbours didn't have washing out. Hopefully next time he will come and check. I didn't swear at the neighbour. i was in my own garden.

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 14:24:42

Oh whoops - forgot how to do links!

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 14:24:57

<snort>

Would you have thrown all your toys out of your pram if the neighbor had had a BBQ instead of a bonfire?

It's nice if neighbors do let you know if they're having a BBQ/bonfire/rave but they don't have to and YABU to get all stroppy about it

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 14:25:08

www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/Escapingandrecoveringfromafire/DG_180786

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 14:25:54

I have had to rush out and get washing in, and have fumed silently about it.

Well.. why didn't you just pop over and ask him politely to let you know when he's having a bonfire? No need for swearing and ranting.

valiumredhead Mon 26-Sep-11 14:27:09

And why does washing trump having a bonfire or BBQ? confused

PetiteRaleuse Mon 26-Sep-11 14:28:15

YABVU to shout and swear at what could have been an innocent mistake.

YAalsoBU to get your husband to deal with it.

OK it wasn't the most considerate of things to do but I assume it isn't a daily occurrence. It's possible that he thought the wind would blow it in the other direction. But your neighbour, unless he has great magical powers which I would love to have, can't control the wind.

What a weird reason to get so worked up about.

PetiteRaleuse Mon 26-Sep-11 14:29:06

Didn't see your update.

Now I have I am even more hmm

Bluebell99 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:31:20

Actually in our area it is an offence (FROM the council website)

There is no law against having a garden bonfire, though it is an offence for the smoke, or the smell of the smoke, to cause a nuisance•Check your neighbours do not have any washing out and, particularly on fine weekends; check that neighbours are not sat out in their gardens enjoying the sunshine. Avoid having a bonfire at these times

Tee2072 Mon 26-Sep-11 14:32:07

Personally, I think having your washing out, where it might flap in a breeze loudly and disturb the neighbours or perhaps waft the smell of your fabric conditioner over to them, is just inconsiderate. Did you check with them before hanging it out?

Yes, I am being facetious. Just as you are being ridiculous.

ConstanceNoring Mon 26-Sep-11 14:33:12

I would have been annoyed that my washing was all smoky but, I wouldn't have gone and had a word.

If it was becoming a really regular thing I might just ask casually when he would normally do this i.e. Saturday or Sunday so that I could avoid the problem and this would have then served to alert him to the fact that it affects you, and if he was about to light one on another day he would probably give you a heads up.

I think you were lucky he was apologetic about it!

I used to love a good bonfire when I lived at home, we're not allowed them where I live because of some surrounding properties with thatched roofs. I don't recall mum & dad ever alerting the neighbours we were about to fire one up blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now