Talk

Advanced search

not to go to the GP for chicken pox?

(23 Posts)
upsylazy Mon 26-Sep-11 13:15:55

DS2 has chicken pox. I phoned nursery to let them know that he wouldn't be in and why and was asked if I'd taken him to the GP. I said that I hadn't and wasn't planning to as there's nothing that can be done for it (it's actually very mild and and I would barely have noticed it but was sort of on the lookout for spots as there have been 5 cases at nursery).
I was told that I had to take him to get it "confirmed". I have no intention of doing this as a) I know it's chicken pox because my older 2 have had it as have countless of their friends and I know what it bloody well looks like and b) I don't think that taking him to sit in a waiting room where he could infect pregnant women or people with suppressed immune symptoms is a very good idea and I doubt the GP would either. The manager has since phoned me and told me again that I must take him to the doctor. I think they're being ridiculous. AIBU?

deemented Mon 26-Sep-11 13:17:45

YANBU at all.

I think you're being very sensible.

If they carry on i'd just tell them you've taken him and it was confirmed.

worraliberty Mon 26-Sep-11 13:18:12

Why are they insisting on this? Is it to do with Nursery fees or something?

ThePumpkinKing Mon 26-Sep-11 13:19:33

I have always understood that the advice was not to take children with chicken pox to the doctor.

If you had a young baby, or complications were likely, then you could call a GP out or something, but otherwise I think you're right.

Are the nursery worried that you are trying to get out of paying this weeks fees or something? grin

kat2504 Mon 26-Sep-11 13:19:50

Phone the doctor. Ask if you need an appointment. They will say no. Tell the nursery the doctor has refused to see you.
But perhaps they are concerned that it isn't chickenpox but some other infectious disease that they might need to know about?
Or just lie. Say you have been. They can't check up on you!
I think it is probably better to not be infecting the waiting room to be honest, unless your child actually needs to see a doctor.

CamperFan Mon 26-Sep-11 13:20:23

Yanbu

GingerWrath Mon 26-Sep-11 13:20:34

I never took my DD to the doctor when she had it but I DID phone the surgery to have it put in her medical records for future reference.

ForYourDreamsAreChina Mon 26-Sep-11 13:21:18

I think the doctor will tell you under no circumstances should you take your child in, because they don't want you spreading it. Perhaps what kat says might be the case,that they want to be sure you know what it is.

Ring the docs and see, I had chicken pox at 16 and the doc came out to me.

ZeldaUpNorth Mon 26-Sep-11 13:22:24

When dd1 came out in about 7 spots on different parts of her body i took her to the doctor as she was well in herself so wasn't sure what they were. The doctor wasn't sure what they were either but said it is from the pox family...yeah thats reassuring. To this day i still dont know if dd has had cp or not.

going Mon 26-Sep-11 13:22:58

One of my dd's had slapped cheek. The school asked me to get it confirmed by a gp as they needed to inform the other parents if she did have it. I didn't as it was a waste of my time and I was worried about infecting others.

upsylazy Mon 26-Sep-11 13:25:09

It isn't to do with not paying fees - I have to pay even if he is off sick (unless it's a long term thing when they try to come to some sort of arrangement). Kat - that;s what I'd planned to do but the manager told me that I have to get it in writing. WTF? It's actually a very good nursery and my other 2 DCs went there but there is a new manager who does seem keen on quoting policy and procedure to every question rather than giving an answer you can actually understand.

Callisto Mon 26-Sep-11 13:25:17

I didn't take DD in to the Dr's when she had chickenpox, and when she infected me with it (didn't realise I hadn't already had it, nor did my dad hmm) I didn't go in for myself. It's only chicken pox fgs and she is best kept away from anyone it might harm. Your nursery manager sounds mental - I'd have told her to get lost if she'd phoned me. None of her bloody business.

HMTheQueen Mon 26-Sep-11 13:25:26

I took DS when he had it - simply because I never had it as a child and didn't know what it should look like blush

I spoke to the receptionist when I booked the appt and they asked me to leave DS in the car, report to reception (about 2 metres from the car) and then wait for the Dr to come out and call me through. Then we were ushered through a side door and missed the waiting room altogether.

I also wanted it on his notes, for future reference too. But I'm sure a Dr would put it in his notes if I'd spoken over the phone.

paddypoopants Mon 26-Sep-11 13:28:39

I didn't take ds. What a waste of yours and gp's time. Phone the doctors for a telephone appointment and explain the situation. I'm sure they will just put it on his record. Then you can tell the nursery manager to bog off (nicely of course).

godzuki Mon 26-Sep-11 13:33:05

DS had chickenpox a few weeks ago. I called the surgery who told me not to bring him in, but to make a note of it myself in his red book for future reference.

kat2504 Mon 26-Sep-11 13:36:24

GPs don't issue written pox certificates for fun. It isn't like a child needs a sick note to stay off nursery. If you say the GP won't see him, what can they do?

iamaLeafontheWind Mon 26-Sep-11 13:37:41

My DC's nursery puts up a 'Possible case of chicken pox' sign so everyone knows but their backside is covered. But ridiculous to take up a GP appointment if your LO is feeling ok.

slartybartfast Mon 26-Sep-11 13:38:49

bah to the new manager.

she is crazy.
tell her surgery wont want or need to see yoru dc

whats the worst that could happen, you pay anyway ?

Sleepglorioussleep Mon 26-Sep-11 13:41:30

If I were a patient at your gp surgery I would be very grateful to you for not going to surgery with a case of chicken pox. Ring gp if you like for their advice, but I didn't think it needed confirming. Nursery aren't taking the wider view here-you could be exposing babies (ds got it at three months-not fun) pg women and elderly people to something that could knock them for six, just so they can get official confirmation of it. Check Nhs website for advice too. I think you're being kind to your family and the wider community. Hope the chickenpox isn't too tough for you all.

PuppyMonkey Mon 26-Sep-11 13:43:47

Tell manager the doctor has expressly told you not to come in. It's ridiculous.

When DD had chickenpox earlier this year, I wasn't 100% sure what it was and I ended up parking outside nursery and asking one of staff to cone out and confirm it was definitely chicken pox.

Hulababy Mon 26-Sep-11 13:47:08

YANBU

I thought advise was to not take the child to a doctor with CP unless complications arise.

Can you phone the GP and just ask for advise anyway. Tell the nursery manager that the GP adbvises you not to go in and will only put it in writing if someone pays, which you are not prepared too.

Also, ask them WHy they need you to do this, what guidelines are they follwoing?

upsylazy Mon 26-Sep-11 13:52:17

Thanks everyone, I didn't think I was BU but just wanted to check. I phoned the GP who was fab and said that the nursery was being ridiculous and that he trusted my judgement especially as the older 2 have had it. He said that, if the nursery has any probs with this, they can ring him and he will "give them a piece of his mind".
What makes me laugh is that the nursery has a notice at the door saying that they have had 5 confirmed cases if chicken pox and that pregnant women who haven't had it and people who are immuno-suppressed should not enter the building but they are advising parents to take their kids to the surgery where there may be ...pregnant women and people who are immuno-suppressed. DS2 is fine although he is milking it for all it's worth.

startail Mon 26-Sep-11 13:55:24

YANBU, I got CP at university and had to get a sick note because I was in the middle of my final year project. He didn't really want to see me, but understood my problem. Certainly didn't bother taking either DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now