Talk

Advanced search

to be irritated by sil getting pissed while still bf her dd.

(165 Posts)
mrszimmerman Mon 26-Sep-11 11:14:48

I mean she must have had 3 or 4 units, she was starting to really raise her voice and look lairy.
(btw she's awful when she's had a few)
But she did then give dd a forumla bottle and probably went 8 hours before feeding her. But still. It seems a little incautious to me.
BUT no offence to the bf drinkers, the research is not hugely clear about this is it?

Paschaelina Mon 26-Sep-11 11:16:17

I don't think 3 or 4 units its going to do very much at all to the breastmilk.

mrszimmerman Mon 26-Sep-11 11:19:52

You know that it won't?
I only ask because I think that the research is still fairly inconclusive, ie it probably varies quite a lot from woman to woman.
Also what we do know is that drinking, ipso facto, leads in inaccurate reporting of intake of drinking ! grin
Every study ever done about drinking tends to show that people drink a good bit more than they declare.

Seona1973 Mon 26-Sep-11 11:21:02

3 or 4 units isnt much (a couple of large glasses of wine maybe) and she didnt bf for hours afterwards. You can still have a drink while bf and the alcohol leaves the milk at the same rate it leaves the blood and doesnt concentrate in the milk. I think you are being a bit judgy really (and I didnt bf!)

kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

piprabbit Mon 26-Sep-11 11:21:58

As a one-off, it is absolutely none of your business at all.

bintofbohemia Mon 26-Sep-11 11:22:33

YABU.

Ciske Mon 26-Sep-11 11:23:11

From the NHS website:

"Alcohol clears from the mother's blood at a rate of about one unit every two hours. If you do decide to have a drink, it's a good idea to wait for a couple of hours before breastfeeding. It can be difficult to predict when your baby may want to feed, so some mothers plan ahead and express milk beforehand for special occasions where they may want to have a drink."

If she had 4 units that makes 4 x 2 = 8 hours to wait before BFing.

MainlyMaynie Mon 26-Sep-11 11:23:19

If she then waited 8 hours before feeding her, what's the problem? That's what we were advised to do at the breastfeeding course I went on.

The research is inconclusive, but seems to lean towards it isn't too much of an issue, perhaps your SIL has read it and decided that.

belgo Mon 26-Sep-11 11:23:51

so she didn't actually bf her after drinking 3 or 4 units? She gave her a bottle and then didn't bf the baby for eight hours or so?

What exactly is it you are worried about?

NoMoreWasabi Mon 26-Sep-11 11:24:01

It has nothing to do with you.

kirsty75005 Mon 26-Sep-11 11:25:01

I thought that alcohol left the bloodstream at rate of 1 unit an hour, so 8 hours later she would have had no alcohol in her bloodstream anyway ?

vigglewiggle Mon 26-Sep-11 11:25:15

You don't like her when she's drunk, that doesn't make her a bad mother!

It was your observation that she had 3-4 units, so I presume that is accurate. If your point is correct about under-reporting in studies concerning alcohol and breastfeeding (and FWIW I suspect it is) then she could have safely had a couple more!

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Mon 26-Sep-11 11:25:34

Yes. YABU. And ignorant. And judgemental.

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Mon 26-Sep-11 11:25:39

You sound mental. Keep your nose out.

YABU. But I'm a "breastfeeding drinker" so I'm probably biased.

(realise that makes me sound like an alcoholic!)

mrszimmerman Mon 26-Sep-11 11:26:51

well that's fine.

I just think it's not great sacrifice to stop while you're bf.
It seems an odd right to be defensive of. Why take the risk?
And no one is actually addressing the fact that once you have four units your sense of responsibilty is markedly reduced which is why we don't drive when pissed isn't it?
Just interested to hear, maybe it's fine, it just seems odd and not something I would have been comfortable with for myself.
And this is an open forum, of course it isn't officially 'my business', i was just curious to know what other bfers thought. I think it's incautious is all - so sue me!

stomping Mon 26-Sep-11 11:27:00

YABU. Even if she bf straight away the baby would only get a tiny amount and she didn't, she waited 8 hours.

WoTmania Mon 26-Sep-11 11:27:35

YABU -

worraliberty Mon 26-Sep-11 11:28:34

YABU, she waited 8hrs

She's entitled to enjoy herself, or would you prefer she was just a baby making and feeding machine?

I had a few drinks when pregnant too. So sue me.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Mon 26-Sep-11 11:29:10

YABU - you sound like a very dull martyr type of person.

belgo Mon 26-Sep-11 11:29:30

If she wasn't bfing at all, would you still be irritated by her drinking?

TBH I think it's probably more dangerous to make up a bottle of formula after a few units, then it is to bf.

stomping Mon 26-Sep-11 11:29:34

I'm not a drinker but I have spent 36 months pregnant and about 7 years bf and tbh, I think for a drinker to not be able to drink a couple of glasses of wine for that length of time is quite a sacrifice.

TattyDevine Mon 26-Sep-11 11:30:22

I think there are plenty of things she could do that are much worse. YABU to be irritated by it.

pommedechocolat Mon 26-Sep-11 11:31:07

YABU. You sound a whole lot of fun OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now