Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to see the irony in threads about no having a penny but using the internet to rant??!!

(86 Posts)
scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:20:11

not on this forum but other ones i frequent i see many thread about having only a fiver in purse to last til next week to feed the kids. i mean seriously if things are that bad would you not get rid of the internet (unless its free) or sky or other luxuries??

or are they poor me attention seeking threads?

RebelFromTheWaistDown Sun 25-Sep-11 18:21:57

Yabu. The Internet is essential these days.

Oakmaiden Sun 25-Sep-11 18:22:55

Except for a lot of families having an internet connection is an essential. My husband needs one as a pre-requisite of his job, my children have to do homework online, etc.

And if you are having a crappy financial month, then cancelling the internet isn't going to help, cos the saving isn't immediate....

Also, we all spend money on non-essentials. Where do you draw the line? "They claim to have no money, but they are sat their with the heating and lights on??"

I do think you are being a bit unreasonable.

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:24:28

yes i guess it is essential in some homes..... but if it is not a neccesity like heating and lights moaning about having no money is a little ironic dont you think?

i mean i'd cancel my internet before heating and lighting obviously!!

DooinMeCleanin Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:00

Maybe they are generally okay for money, but have had a bad week?

Or they could be in contract and it would cost them more to cancel than to continue paying - we want to switch providers but can't as we'd have to pay our last three months contract anyway, so we might as well continue getting the services.

Perhaps their internet is free or reduced. I believe that the Gov. do a free PC/internet scheme for people on benefits with school aged children.

Besides which everyone is entitled to a good rant every now and again and the internet is no longer a 'luxery' it's more of an essential. We save loads of money shopping about online, most jobs require you to apply online or print off an application form from online and most schools now set internet based homework.

YABU.

StrandedBear Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

booyhoo Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:02

most internet packages ar on fixed contract that even if you cancel you would hve to pay the remaining X amount of months fee.

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:31

btw these same people (i searched their names) also posted about what shoes to wear with a dress -posted a link to a littlewoods dress and holiday packages.

usualsuspect Sun 25-Sep-11 18:25:54

YABU

HeadfirstForHalloween Sun 25-Sep-11 18:26:26

Maybe they are in a fixed term contract?

miniwedge Sun 25-Sep-11 18:26:32

It's free to use the internet in most local libraries.

It is entirely possible to have had a disaster after all bills were paid such as a boiler gone bang or a car dying.

Internet access is essential for many people, it gives access to all sorts of support, information etc and it is often cheaper to shop online.

It costs me £11 per month for my Internet line, it costs £2.10 to get a bus into town to the shops just for me, let alone the children.
If I was that skint it would be cheaper for me to have Internet and shop online thAn to get a bus into town up to twice a week.

Do you think the poor or temporarily financially embarrassed should not be allowed Internet then? Odd opinion op.

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:26:39

i see internet was a bad anology but its not essential for everyone i guess. i'd miss it like crazy but it would be the first thing to go if i reaaaalllly had to struggle to feed kids.

SybilBeddows Sun 25-Sep-11 18:26:43

I would think having access to the internet can save you more money than it costs. YABU.

usualsuspect Sun 25-Sep-11 18:26:44

I bet they have big fuck off TVs as well

miniwedge Sun 25-Sep-11 18:27:54

Seriously?? You searched their names to check if they were actually poor?

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:28:24

ok i can see i am in the minority here.

usualsuspect Sun 25-Sep-11 18:28:33

How dare the poor people wear clothes shock

StrandedBear Sun 25-Sep-11 18:28:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Sun 25-Sep-11 18:28:44

You are bordering on the stalking scuzy hmm. Step back, it's only the internet.

If you don't like seeing them moan about money (and I don't), don't look at those threads.

lesley33 Sun 25-Sep-11 18:30:26

Sounds fair enough in theory. But cancelling the internet only helps say for next month, but makes no difference to the amount of money you have this month.

So when i was made redundant on one weeks notice - total shock to me - and then it took ages (nearly 2 months) to sort out my benefits, cancelling the internet would not have helped my budget at all for the 1st month.

Also for some cheap deals people are tied into contracts.

But yes you don't need to have internet in home unless in rural area or for work. In my city, like many others, you can get on internet at library and internet cafes can be a cheaper alternative if you only use it for essentials e.g. searching for vacancies.

alistron1 Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:00

People nowadays do need the internet - you get discounts off utilities, online banking, kids need it for homework etc..

And very often interweb access is tied to phone/tv packages.

YABU.

missymarmite Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:22

All of the above. A contract isn't easy to get out of and can cost a lot more than you would save. Having the internet can save you money, as you don't need to buy dictonaries, encyclopedia, you can have paperless billing. Many cheap deals are only available online. Schools assume all children have access to a computer and the internet. It isn't practical to use the library for access if you have small kids who will run riot, or if you need to work in the day when the library is open.

YAB massively U. When society goes back to pre-1990 lifestyle, where you aren't disadvantaged by not having the internet, then you might be reasonable. But not as things are in today's society.

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:31:34

ok folks i didnt think this through obviously.

and these people are always crying poor mouth so i searched their names as i was sure had seen threads that contradicted their stories.

i guess i have too much time on me hands!

scuzy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:32:25

hands up!
was wrong. i see it is a neccessity nowadays.

GypsyMoth Sun 25-Sep-11 18:33:17

Cancelling the Internet/sky etc doesn't give extra cash for the week it's needed does it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now