Talk

Advanced search

to ask dh if he minds sleeping in the spare room accasionally if he needs to get up early (or sleep there myself)

(9 Posts)
soggy14 Sun 25-Sep-11 12:02:46

I sleep very lightly and struggle with insomnia. It is worse when I get woken after some sleep (say at 5am - I cannot get back to sleep). We go to bed late (dh likes to stay up - if I go to bed before him then he wakes me when he arrives and I cannot get back to sleep so I stay up until he goes to bed). He appears able to exisit on about 5-6 hours a night. Am I unreasonable to ask him to sleep in the spare room (or sleep there myself) occasionally when he has a really early start? I find that if we are up until 1.30 - 2 and then I get woken again at 5.30 then I can't function at work all day. However dh was not happy at the suggestion so wondered if I was BU.

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 12:05:42

sounds fine to me.
if i were you i would go to bed much earlier in the spare room.

if he wants to sleep with you then maybe he should think about going to bed earlier? i fail to see how he can be unhappy with you wanting to get more sleep confused

Kayano Sun 25-Sep-11 12:06:50

My mum is just like you and my dad is actually very considerate and moves to the spare bed if:

He has had a late night and she is asleep,

He has a cough or cold

She has not slept well in a few days and asks him to

His legs are bad (he has an illness and moves often in his sleep if it is playing up)

grin my dad is pretty awesome actually

TidyDancer Sun 25-Sep-11 12:06:55

YANBU, but IMO it should be you moving to the spare room just because it's you who needs the solitude. DH can't really stop you if you are the one to move. I get why he would be upset with it, but he's being unreasonable if he actually tries to stop you.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sun 25-Sep-11 12:08:57

I'd sleep there yourself. Don't stay up late, either - go to bed when you want to.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sun 25-Sep-11 12:14:22

Yanbu. Do what you need to do!

squeakytoy Sun 25-Sep-11 12:15:07

Cant even see why you would need to ask. My husband often has to be up at 4am to get to his jobs for 7am. He goes to bed at about 9pm, so there is no way I would be going to bed so early. I just sleep in the spare room rather than disturb him.

I cant see why anyone should be upset, good sleep is vital to our health.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 12:15:40

I don't get why he'd be upset with you, unless he thinks how he feels is more important than doing something simple to help you get a good nights sleep.

It's only not sleeping next to each other for a few hours occasionally, your hardly filing for divorce.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 12:16:57

You're not your.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now