Talk

Advanced search

To be hurt to have received birthday present of 2x (70% off) Tesco saucepans

(56 Posts)
specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:39:37

From PIL, so at least not from husband. Or AIB very Ungrateful.

8 months Pg and not enjoying cooking at all. Also already have perfectly good same sized saucepans which barely fit in overstuffed kitchen cupboards, which surely they have noticed on their weekly visit.

hocuspontas Sun 25-Sep-11 10:41:04

They probably think that you love saucepans so much that you can't get enough of them grin

worraliberty Sun 25-Sep-11 10:42:23

God, you're lucky they bought you a gift...just be grateful for it.

And at least they bought you two while they were cheap grin

specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:42:36

Who doesn't!

specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:43:46

Who doesn't love saucepans I meant! X- posted with Worra

GoEasyPudding Sun 25-Sep-11 10:44:26

Thats a super rubbish gift.
Put them to the back of the cupboard and forget about it. If they dont fit put in charity bag.

Perhapes make a note to give them an equally rubbish gift to them next time.
Pop to shops and buy yourself a lovely something that you like.

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 10:45:09

no yanbu

i would take them bback and swap them for um, well, something that doesn't cost much :-/

thisisyesterday Sun 25-Sep-11 10:45:36

oooh oooh, save them. then give them BACK to PIL for christmas. say you loved yours sooooo much you got some for them too

LittleMissFlustered Sun 25-Sep-11 10:46:14

I've been lusting after the wok one of those. To be fair, I think if I were known for not enjoying cooking I would be tempted to prang somebody who gave me a pan about the ear with it. especially if pregnantgrin

diddl Sun 25-Sep-11 10:46:26

ILs have never bought me a present-just a card.

Doesn´t bother me as I´m not that stuck on bdays.

And tbh, sometimes it´s better to have nothing that something for the house?

(Unless specifically asked for?)

specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:48:21

I'm not sure I can even take them back as purchased in the main with money off vouchers!! Will see if any friends need some. (Not for their birthday obviously!)

prettybird Sun 25-Sep-11 10:50:29

If it makes you feel better, for his birthday dh got from his mum two M&S jumpers bought from a Bin-end shop so he couldn't even take them back in styles and colours he would never wear (one was cerise pink) and an "extra" of a cut-price autobiography of Michael Parkinson, whom he has never been interested in.

His nephew now has the jumpers - his sister said she'd make sure he never wore them in front of his gran - but dh said he should! grin

specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:51:02

Like the re-gifting back to them at Xmas idea!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 25-Sep-11 10:53:36

My late, much lamented gran (who I don't think ever liked her DIL, my mum, and the feeling was mutual) famously once bought her a packet of very large knickers for her birthday. We thought it was completely hilarious..... mum's never forgiven her confused

CoralRose Sun 25-Sep-11 10:54:47

They're still £20 each, even with the discount.

I'll have 'em, I love saucepans grin

CoralRose Sun 25-Sep-11 10:56:07

Oh, and YABUngrateful.

beepbeep Sun 25-Sep-11 10:57:39

My mum's MIL (my stepdad's mum) bought her a broom stick for her birthday!! It was a decorated one, but still!!!

specialagentmeh Sun 25-Sep-11 10:58:15

Ha ha Prettybird and Cogito. DH always tells the story of a teenage Xmas when he received a selection of M&S sleeveless "wife beater" style T-shirt/vests from his mum, not a style he ever admired. (Or I imagine, at a studious age 15, was ripped enough to carry off!)

fatlazymummy Sun 25-Sep-11 11:02:20

I would try not to feel hurt by it. People just have different ideas about what makes a good present. Some people are happy with household gifts, some people aren't.
Seeing as they are decent quality I would assume that they meant well and just be polite about it, in the interest of good relations with the inlaws. At the same time make it clear to your husband that you expect personal gifts from him.

Casmama Sun 25-Sep-11 11:03:32

Oh well, they clearly have form for poor present choices so don't feel hurt.

Tortington Sun 25-Sep-11 11:05:45

present - nice.

i didn't even get aphone call asking if i was ok after a car crash last weekend - not from any of my in laws

so i have decided they can all go fuck themselves.

it takes a lot to make me cross and i forgive lots and lots, i ignore even more, but fuck you in-laws FUCK YOU

purpleknittingmum Sun 25-Sep-11 11:06:17

agree with fatlazymummy

worst thing my in-laws got my OH was when we first got together, they posted up 2 massive parcels of christmas presents for us. Included in his was a second hand Dorothy Perkins jumper!

iklboo Sun 25-Sep-11 11:06:43

For my 40th, FIL & his wife bought me some 'Wicked-a-like' type drink from Lidl (rrp £2.49 for 4). I don't drink the stuff and never have.

Fuctifano Sun 25-Sep-11 11:08:13

I got a gym bag and set of bathroom scales from the future ILs the christmas before my wedding...

CoralRose Sun 25-Sep-11 11:08:59

"At the same time make it clear to your husband that you expect personal gifts from him."

Jesus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now