Talk

Advanced search

to LOVE my ice cream maker with a passion!

(26 Posts)
sunnydelight Sun 25-Sep-11 03:14:57

So far this morning I have made strawberry ice-cream (strawberries in season here so dirt cheap), double chocolate chip and I have a batch of coffee/kahlua churning as I type. No good for my waistline I know but Yummmmmm!

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 25-Sep-11 03:16:13

Hmm yummy. I made mojito sorbet for a dinner party gift it was very good.

MeMySonAndI Sun 25-Sep-11 03:17:14

Unless you are in Australia, I think you are... is past 3 am here, at what time did you start to make the ice cream? grin

sunnydelight Sun 25-Sep-11 03:18:11

Yes, I am in Sydney, so it's just past midday. My lunch guests don't arrive for another couple of hours so I might manage just one more batch.... grin

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 25-Sep-11 03:20:48

Brown bread ice cream. You will want to marry me after you make it. I just want you to know that I am already attached, sorry...

MeMySonAndI Sun 25-Sep-11 03:24:39

Damn, now I want one!

sunnydelight Sun 25-Sep-11 03:25:09

Oh wow, I had forgotten about brown bread ice cream. I used to make it years ago - have you got a decent recipe or do you think I could just caramelize the breadcrumbs in the oven, blitz them and add them to my cream base? (Might be back straightaway as I need to go peel my potatoes but thank you very much in hope.....)

sunnydelight Sun 25-Sep-11 03:27:40

Or even might not be back straightaway blush

It's a good investment MeMySonAndI if you like icecream. The good stuff is extortionate here ($12 for a tub of B&Js which is about eight quid) so it will pay for itself after a while (and I managed to talk DH into really wanting it as his birthday present grin)

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 25-Sep-11 03:28:16

Jamie Oliver has one online (which I haven't tried) but I just used to use my Mum's recipe which is still in the UK <sniff sniff>

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 25-Sep-11 03:29:45

There you go

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 25-Sep-11 03:31:18

I bet the Women's Hour one is better grin

sunnydelight Sun 25-Sep-11 04:14:32

Thank you very much! I'm out of time now but will give it a go during the week as it's school hols here. Yay!

peasandlove Sun 25-Sep-11 05:05:34

you know this thread will start a run on icecream makers now?

savoycabbage Sun 25-Sep-11 06:50:50

I was thinking of getting on now the good weather is kicking in. Which one have you got SD? I went to Matchbox to look at them but they only had this mad Mr Whippy soft serve effort.

NestaFiesta Sun 25-Sep-11 09:25:35

I'm all ears about ice cream makers, but aren't they complicated? Don't you have to double boil egg yolks and double cream and stuff?

PS I am a marketing man's dream. Good friends of mine converted me to breadmakers for life after only 20 mins of eulogizing.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Sun 25-Sep-11 13:27:20

You can get a b&j ice-cream 'cookbook'

BelinaTheChicken Sun 25-Sep-11 15:39:30

I was doing really well with not putting too much baby weight on, until my mum bought an ice cream maker. Tiramisu ice cream is amazing!

The Perfect Scoop by David Libovitz (sp?) has really good recipes.

Want the brown bread ice cream now

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 25-Sep-11 15:43:25

Belina, I saw the thread title and came on to recommend David Leibovitz's book. It is amazing; everything I have made from there I love love love.

He has a BLOG too, which is fab reading.

peeriebear Sun 25-Sep-11 15:57:35

Making ice cream is so simple Nesta smile I bought DD1 a maker from Toys R Us last year. It's quite small but works very well, all you do is put the ingredients in and it churns it all up while chilling it. easy smile

NestaFiesta Sun 25-Sep-11 18:03:46

I'm getting tempted. Is it always double cream? I could see me getting an expensive habit.

squeakytoy Sun 25-Sep-11 18:05:27

You could use yoghurt rather than cream. I think I will put one of these on my xmas list. smile

NestaFiesta Sun 25-Sep-11 18:08:30

Good plan squeaky. Hmm, I might well look into this.

wildhairrunning Sun 25-Sep-11 19:18:45

Which one do people recommend?

BelinaTheChicken Sun 25-Sep-11 20:12:15

I've had quite a few from it, the chocolate and raspberry is really good too smile

They're not all double cream ones though, there are loads of sorbets and frozen yoghurts that are delicious, and healthier so you can eat twice as much grin

sunnydelight Mon 26-Sep-11 08:31:51

Mine is a Cuisinart (don't know the model no. but it's the only one in the range that does 1.5l at a time). It was $300 here (Oz) which is about 200 pounds but as everything is much more expensive here I'm guessing you'd get it a lot cheaper. We've the the "put the bowl in the freezer overnight" ones before which are miles cheaper but the fact that you can just bung in all the ingredients whenever you fancy it and the machine does the lot in an hour I think makes the more expensive one worthwhile.

I too though I would have to cook the custard first but according to B&Js there are three options for the "sweet cream base", none of which involve cooking. I do need to start looking at low cal options though or I am going to be the size of a house by the end of the Summer blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now