Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to find it creepy that my Ex has named a goldfish after me?

(18 Posts)
Daisy1986 Sun 25-Sep-11 00:39:42

DD birthday is tomorrow. After ex contact this week I got a text saying DD had named her fish Bubble and and that he thought it was sweet.

He has been controling in nature before assuming that we would always get back together no matter how rubbish he treated me and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested and was staying firm he didnt like it.

Now DD is only turning 2 and will follow whatever you suggest as answers to naming things so its unlikely to be her idea. I find it very odd and creepy.

solidgoldbrass Sun 25-Sep-11 00:41:08

Yes, it is a bit wierd, but does everyone call you Bubble? That's a bit wierd in itself.

Daisy1986 Sun 25-Sep-11 00:41:57

Sorry Im new onhere and that first one didnt come out right and I cant find where to edit it

AIBU to find it creepy that my Exbf has named a goldfish after me?.

DD birthday is tomorrow. After ex contact this week I got a text saying DD had named her fish Bubble and DaisyC that he thought it was sweet.

He has been controling in nature before assuming that we would always get back together no matter how rubbish he treated me and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested and was staying firm he didnt like it.

Now DD is only turning 2 and will follow whatever you suggest as answers to naming things so its unlikely to be her idea. I find it very odd and creepy.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 00:44:07

Just on the surface of it it's uncomplimentary at the very least, but if you add in what you know of his controlling nature I suppose it could be a bit weird.

If his aim was to get at you in some way, it's a pretty lame attempt the big idiot grin

Are you able to laugh it off at all?

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 00:46:17

No edit 'fraid, they like your mistakes to stand for all time grin

Daisy1986 Sun 25-Sep-11 00:46:26

Yes its fine not a big deal compared to the other stuff I have to contend with with him I just find it weird.

squeakytoy Sun 25-Sep-11 07:18:01

I would have thought it quite possible for a 2yo to be able to decide the name of her fish, and at that age she is unlikely to know very many names. Does she know your name? She will no doubt have heard other people calling it you, so it will be a name she knows.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 25-Sep-11 07:20:26

YABU and I agree with squeakytoy. If a 2yo has been asked to pick a name she really likes, I think it's flattering that she's chosen yours. If your exBF was all alone with a collection of poisonous snakes and had called one of those after you without the assistance of any children.... that would be creepy.

solidgoldbrass Sun 25-Sep-11 07:50:34

I must admit that my DS around that age used to name things after people he knew: his toy ducks were named after friends at nursery etc, so it might have been your DD's own idea. But even if your XP did choose the name, the best thing to do is not react at all.

Proudnscary Sun 25-Sep-11 07:53:36

What's with all these fish/phish posts?

hmm

<paranoid>

ChilliKnickers Sun 25-Sep-11 09:23:02

My ex named his ds the same first and middle name of my ds. hmm

banana87 Sun 25-Sep-11 09:50:34

I don't get it. She names the fish not him. And the name is bubbles and daisy? Confused.com

troisgarcons Sun 25-Sep-11 10:22:55

Perhaps he thinks you only have a 20 second attention span like a fish?
Could have been worse, he could have named his dog after you - now that would be insulting!

Kladdkaka Sun 25-Sep-11 10:36:12

That's nothing. When I was married I always said if I had another baby I name him/her Lars/Gudrun (not those Swedish names but other unusual names strongly linked to my own cultural background, not shared with my ex). I found out recently that my ex remarried a couple of years after I escaped and has since had 2 children, a boy and a girl. Guess what they are called. Now that's creepy.

Proudnscary Sun 25-Sep-11 11:20:37

I knew a bloke who called his son Jack, divorced, remarried then called his second son Jack.

Tres weird.

pippilongsmurfing Sun 25-Sep-11 11:25:40

Me and my DH have wayne and waynetta type RL names, it gets confusing.

But the goldfish naming thing, a bit weird yes, but not so bad as they are your DD's fish, I thought you meant they were his fish.

ShoutyHamster Sun 25-Sep-11 15:53:43

Buy some stick insects and call them all after him.

'Norbert 1, Norbert 2, Norbert 3' etc.

Am sure he's not called Norbert but you get the idea.

bakeyouhappy Sun 25-Sep-11 21:14:20

I named a goldfish after my dh. Every time I got mad and screamed 'fuck you dh' I could laugh and say I was talking to dh the fish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now