Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel as though I've been mugged

(26 Posts)
spiderslegs Sun 25-Sep-11 00:10:34

Am in Windsor this weekend visiting Legoland & family, had a great day, met DSis for dinner,
parked in carpark, only had five pounds in change, thought that would probably be enough,turns out that's enough for an hour, can't pay with notes, can't pay by mobile. Ok, went back an hour later put another two hours in. 8.50 in total.

Lovely meal, come back a little late for the bill. Get back to car ten minutes late, clamped, as are four other people, thankfully the delightful booked are still around & kindly remove it for me for only 120 quid. Thanks, 120 quid for 10 mins. I thank you. Bastards.

BuntyPenfold Sun 25-Sep-11 00:18:23

Agree, bastards.

ajandjjmum Sun 25-Sep-11 00:19:29

Total bastards. I despise people who do this job.

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 00:21:26

I thought they were clamping down (sorry blush) on this kind of thievery?

Can you appeal against it?

spiderslegs Sun 25-Sep-11 00:27:24

I can, appeal, think I'll be wasting a stamp as well as 120 quid though..

spiderslegs Sun 25-Sep-11 00:28:44

I can, appeal, think I'll be wasting a stamp as well as 120 quid though..

AgentZigzag Sun 25-Sep-11 00:49:43

Don't quite a high % of people manage to win their appeals? Could be just bog standard parking fines though.

Do it to spite the twats.

What would you do with the £120?

spiderslegs Sun 25-Sep-11 01:04:02

Shoes, booze & spite....

Would probably chuck 40 in fave charity out of joy.

Nobbers.

jojane Sun 25-Sep-11 09:36:41

We used to live in a flat with a small archway that led round the back to our private car park. DH came home from work one day to find a big lorry blocking the entrance. He parked next door in the conservative club car ark so he could find the driver. Was about 3 min and came back to find the car clamped. Bloke wouldn't unclamp it even though he j ew it had only been a minute. Had to pay £120 to unclamp it otherwise would be towed 2 hours away and cost £250 to get it back(plus travelling etc). I was heavily pregnant and went down to try and reason with him ie might need car if I went into labour right then sort of thing.

BleurghUna Sun 25-Sep-11 10:03:39

That's extortionate! When we visited Legoland last year it was only £2 for a whole day. The tickets are so expensive you shouldn't have to pay anything for parking! These places are robbing us blind! How can anyone afford to go there when parking is £5 an hour?

niceguy2 Sun 25-Sep-11 10:06:25

I don't think the car park was at legoland

BleurghUna Sun 25-Sep-11 10:08:49

Just checked the Legoland website spiders and it says parking is £2 a day. You should definitely appeal against the clamping. How dare they! angry Link here - hope this works -
www.legoland.co.uk/Plan/FAQ/Car-Parking/

TheMonster Sun 25-Sep-11 10:10:18

Bloody hell that is expensive parking!
However, if you were late back, you were late back.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 25-Sep-11 10:17:08

Message withdrawn

valiumredhead Sun 25-Sep-11 13:32:37

Bet you won't ever be late again! grin

How can you appeal if you were late? confused

TheMonster Sun 25-Sep-11 14:03:49

I don't think you'd have a successful appeal without a decent excuse.

Thingumy Sun 25-Sep-11 14:10:11

I've witnessed a postal van being clamped while he was busy delivering,police had to be called out as the clampers --robbing scum--refused to release his vehicle.

hmm

Whorulestheroost Sun 25-Sep-11 14:16:53

Oh I feel so sorry for you op. These people are ruthless bastards who really don't give a hoot. I was clamped once. It was 3 wks before Xmas and I was 8 months pregnant with ds. I am a district nurse and had parked on a pub car park to go and see one of patients. When I got back I had been clamped. I spoke with the bloke and explained I was a nurse etc but he didn't give a stuff. Worse thing was I was already on maternity leave and just doing an extra shift for a bit of Xmas money. It cost me more to work that day than I earnt!
Lesson learnt though I never ever park anywhere I shouldn't. It made me so cross but then again the signs were clear I just hadn't seen them angry

MollieO Sun 25-Sep-11 14:18:30

Sounds if you parked in one near the river near the back of the theatre. Absolutely extortionate but assume you don't know the area. If you ever go again you would be better off parking in Home Park http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/web/parking_romney_lock.htm which has a lot cheaper parking - £1.50 after 7pm or during the day all day parking is £4.60. It is about a 5 min walk from where you parked.

I think where you parked is privately owned hence rip off prices and quick clamping.

AhsataN Sun 25-Sep-11 14:33:07

my FIL parked behind the local shops and was clamped £350 later to get his car unclamped. what bastards it was rife round here and guess who one of the clampers was LEVI BELLFIELD piece of shit!

whackamole Sun 25-Sep-11 14:54:11

I was towed once, went to get the car and they wanted £500 for it. This was for a D reg Nova, bought for about £250. When I told them fine, keep the car, and went to get some stuff out the back (a pair of boots and some other bits and bobs) the guy actually went to punch me round the face. He then kicked out at me but only got my dad's car as I leapt in and we drove off.

Horrible fucking scumbags.

Oh, and they only towed me because I was parked in an open space next to a private car park for a car wash which was not in use as it was a Sunday.

spiderslegs Mon 26-Sep-11 18:15:22

Hello all, didn't abandon my thread, was using DH's smartphone (hence the slightly confusing wording in my OP, well that & the wine) & managed to hide the thread & couldn't work out how to unhide it until I got home.

No it wasn't at Legoland, it was indeed where you said MollieO, thanks for the tip for next time.

& yes, I was late so banged to rights really.

It got me thinking though, what if someone didn't have the money or did but £120 would mean penury for the rest of the month?

It just seems completely disproprtionate & I'm a bit shocked it's legal. It also felt quite intimidating having two enormous blokes waving their card reader at me demanding payment.

Grrrrr.

mumsamilitant Mon 26-Sep-11 18:45:23

Add another grrrrr to that. I've been towed, £320 plus a ticket! angry

Kayano Mon 26-Sep-11 18:51:53

Well... Op was late

mumsamilitant Mon 26-Sep-11 23:36:50

Yes Kayano she was and guilty as charged but the amount being dished out by these people now is outrageous! I live in London and to park the car for an hour here is £2.20. We also have "zone" parking and I can't pop in to see friend across the road for a cuppa on the way somewhere in the car as its "out of my zone" without having to pay for the privilige in the same bloody borough.

Friends daughter parked her car somewhere which she thought was legal before going on holiday. Every day they slapped another ticket on which amounted to £750!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now