Talk

Advanced search

To be insulted by my MIL's idea of a gift for DD

(115 Posts)
MsWetherwax Sat 24-Sep-11 21:48:21

DD is her 1st Grandchild. She is 3 months old. MIL returned from a shopping break to New York last week bearing thewanky generous gift of a christmas tree decoration with DD's name on it. In September. Am I wrong to think this is a bit odd?

cjbartlett Sat 24-Sep-11 21:49:51

No it's lovely
I guess might have been better to give it to you in December though

Beamur Sat 24-Sep-11 21:50:17

I don't see why is it odd? It is a gift that will come out every Xmas and be used again (presumably..).
What don't you like about it?

crumpet Sat 24-Sep-11 21:50:35

I wouldn't think this at all odd. Nice idea to have a decoration for the first Christmas. And better to have it now than to open it on December 25th...

SuePurblybilt Sat 24-Sep-11 21:50:52

I think that's nice. Lots of people buy one new decoration a year for a child and often the first one is a 'baby's first christmas' type one. I like the tradition, less so the personalised bauble perhaps, but insulting? Really?

NinkyNonker Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:04

How is that insulting? confused

RedHotPokers Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:05

Why on earth would you be insulted?

BatsUpMeNightie Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:13

3 months old? Well what did you have in mind as a gift for her? A glittery supersonic interactive 3D all singing all dancing extra difficult Rubik's Cube from F A O Schwartz?

YABU!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:19

Nice attitude.
Is she OBLIGED to get your three month old child a gift from every city she visits?

crumpet Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:19

And frankly a 3 month old isn't going to give a toss about whether September is a good time or not.

cat64 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:24

Message withdrawn

larks35 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:25

Maybe she should have kept it for Christmas but apart from that I can't see the problem (not my thing but my DP's mum gave us similar for DS's first christmas)

TheWorldKeepsSpinning Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:45

DO you celebrate Christmas? If not then Id think it was odd otherwise I think it's nice.

cloudydays Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:45

I think it's nice, and much more meaningful / lasting than clothes or toys or whatever.

It sounds like you were expecting something else. Anything specific?

LemonDifficult Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:47

What were you hoping for? A new handbag?

I think the Christmas decoration sounds pretty appropriate, but there you go.

Wassup with that ? confused

Happygomummy Sat 24-Sep-11 21:52:23

YABU. I think it shows how excited she is about the first Christmas with her grandchild. It's a lovely present.

HairyGrotter Sat 24-Sep-11 21:52:42

YABU, what a nice gift. My family got a lovely Christmas tree decoration with mine and my DD's name on last year AFTER Christmas, I shall put it on this year.

tiddleypompom Sat 24-Sep-11 21:52:55

Bit mean (of you rather than her) I think - not like a 3 month old needs a big gift and it is something she can keep and bring out every year at Christmas in the knowledge it was from her granny. Sort of thing my mum would do, and I think it's rather thoughtful, so 'fraid my view is yes YABU.

saggybaps Sat 24-Sep-11 21:53:06

YABVU. I think it's quite sweet. She was obviously thinking of your daughter & bought a personalised gift. Don't be so bloody ungrateful.

I think you are being a bit unreasonable.

If it was just a quick weekend getaway for a bit of shopping before Christmas she's probably brought her something else that she's saving for Christmas and bought that as a little souvenir in the meantime.

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sat 24-Sep-11 21:54:04

I think that's a really lovely gift. Thoughtful and lovely. It can be used every Christmas.

MsWetherwax Sat 24-Sep-11 21:54:08

Maybe I'm being over sensitive then. Its not handcrafted or anything, just a bog standard plastic bauble with her name printed on it. Still, at least she thought of her I suppose.

RattusRattus Sat 24-Sep-11 21:54:08

YABU. Insulted? Bemused maybe, but "insulted"? Or do you follow a religion that doesn't do xmas or something.

Icelollycraving Sat 24-Sep-11 21:54:15

Insulted by a bauble?! Wow,I'd like your life!
In honesty,I'd think it was a thoughtful gift,something that will be kept & brought out each year. If it's hideous then put it on the tree near the back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now