Talk

Advanced search

or am I just being hormonal?

(20 Posts)
banana87 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:35:28

31 weeks pregnant with DD2. I get the 'big' comments a lot, but mostly from men hmm so tend to look the other way.

Today was DD's bday party and the lady making the cake (around late 30's) delivered the cake. "Wow" she says, "when are you due?". I tell her Nov 22. She looks at me like this hmm. "Yes, it's going to be a big baby", I say.

Then she says:

"Looks like you've got a baby elephant in there!".

Am I impressed? shock

Kindly give her her money muttering bitch under my breath and send her on her way. I've been fuming since, though obviously didn't let it ruin my day.

So was she a bitch for saying that or AIBU?

ThePosieParker Sat 24-Sep-11 18:37:18

Nope, it's not supposed to be horrid. I was never bothered what or how people said stuff when I was pg though. People just comment perhaps your bump is rather large?

BeerTricksPotter Sat 24-Sep-11 18:37:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dozer Sat 24-Sep-11 18:39:02

Nice. She'll need to be more tactful if she wants to increase her business!

Hated it when people commented on my bumps - but in fact felt worse when people said my bump looked small (DD2 was a bit too little sad).

Happymm Sat 24-Sep-11 18:40:57

I had it the other way TBH. Always had teeny tiny bumps, scanned to end of time as bump so small. Admittedly only have little babies, smallest 4lbs, biggest 6, but always had the comments like " sure you don't just need a big fart love?" Ha ha ha....

People just love to comment. Advice:ignore ignore ignore smile

LineRunner Sat 24-Sep-11 18:41:09

Rubbish manners from the cake lady. She should be a lot more tactful.

banana87 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:42:45

Am really tempted to now upload a bump pic to my profile for honest opinions...

Andrewofgg Sat 24-Sep-11 18:42:49

When men say it we are honestly trying to be kind - even if we are clumsy and it does not come across that way. I think it's a way of showing an interest and not suggesting that we think it's all beneath us.

I can't comment on the Lady with the Cakes, though.

StrandedBear Sat 24-Sep-11 18:43:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePosieParker Sat 24-Sep-11 18:44:44

Sorry......for me large isn;t bad. I'm 5' and have average size babies and so look enormous...smile

PamBeesly Sat 24-Sep-11 18:45:12

YANBU that is very rude, just because you are pregnant doesn't give random people or anyone else the right to comment on your body.
Good luck with the baby smile

picnicbasketcase Sat 24-Sep-11 18:46:49

I had all those stupid comments, 'Are you sure there's only one in there', 'It looks like a whole football team' etc etc. Take no notice, they're obviously not clever enough to think of anything interesting to say.

MiseryBusiness Sat 24-Sep-11 18:48:10

When I was 37 weeks pg with DD2, we have a BBQ for DD1's b'day and one of the lads DH works with said, ''I've never seen a pregnant lady as fat as you.'' shock

I'm actually a size 8 but I just had massive bumps, had to keep having growth scans etc but even still, the bare faced cheek of it!

YANBU

tell em its quins smile

banana87 Sat 24-Sep-11 18:57:42

I'm 5'4 and usually a size 10....and at least I think I am all bump...

TrillianAstra Sat 24-Sep-11 18:58:49

People make conversation.

If they know you are pregnant then (rightly or not) the size and shape of your bump and gender of your baby are perceived to be fair game for conversation.

They probably don't mean it nastily any more than people generally mean to be nasty

featherbag Sat 24-Sep-11 19:36:56

banana, I'm 31 weeks and have been getting that since 19 weeks! Got to the point where I was answering 'how long have you got to go?' with 'years. Years and fucking years. Yes, I know I'm huge. Yes, I'm sure there's only one in there.'

banana87 Sat 24-Sep-11 19:40:04

LOL featherbag. That is seriously going to be my next response. I pity the person who asks me now.... grin

DontTellAnyonebut Sat 24-Sep-11 19:42:55

Everyone looks shocked when say i've still got nearly 3 months to go. I was a 16 when i got pregnant but have only put on 5 kgs. My belly definitley looks large and i am the same weight as FT with PFB but i am considerig lying.. I hate it, it makes me fell like crap and, to top it off, i've become completely allergic to make up since i got pregnant so can't even try and blushr in some cheek bones!!

emmam25 Sat 24-Sep-11 21:51:23

YANBU It does seem to be the general consensus that people can suddenly comment on your waist line as soon as you're pregnant. And it is really annoying!

I'm 29 weeks and I've been told my bump is tiny and cute on the same day that the midwife measured it three weeks bigger than my due date! Peoples perceptions are flawed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now