Talk

Advanced search

to hide when dh invites the postman in for a cup of tea

(22 Posts)
GeorgeEliot Sat 24-Sep-11 13:28:56

new postman (although dh would not have known that). I was working from home and had a deadline to meet. Did not want to spend 20 mins making polite conversation to postie.

Dh also invited the Ocado delivery man in for a cup of tea, but he declined but said he'd love to next time.

Dh thinks you have to offer tea to everyone who comes to the door.

StrandedBear Sat 24-Sep-11 13:29:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakytoy Sat 24-Sep-11 13:30:34

I dunno, I would saunter past wearing something low cut and skimpy and put on a deep husky voice... that should stop DH from being so liberal with the kettle!... grin

GeorgeEliot Sat 24-Sep-11 13:31:46

I should add that I offer to make tea if people come to the house to do a job which will require them to stay for longer than 10 minutes.

GeorgeEliot Sat 24-Sep-11 13:32:36

haha squeaky don't think dh (or the postie) would notice!!

gaaagh Sat 24-Sep-11 13:34:21

I wouldn't ever think of offering a passing person a cup of tea, only if they're going to be there for a few hours - certainly not the postie or a delivery person - I've just always assumed they're on such strict schedules these days that it would be slightly tortorous - offering tea but them being unable to drink it due to deadlines!

I can't say i've ever worked as a postie or a delivery driver though, so it's purely based on my perception of seeing them as quite busy.

Should i offer in future then? [nosy]

gaaagh Sat 24-Sep-11 13:35:15

tortuous i mean

BlowHole Sat 24-Sep-11 13:38:58

Maybe this explains why my post is so late now?

TrillianAstra Sat 24-Sep-11 13:43:06

Doesn't the postman have a schedule to keep? What a bizarre thing to do. Do you live in a village in the 1950s by any chance?

Of course YANBU to get on with your work when you have a deadline.

TheMonster Sat 24-Sep-11 13:45:01

Your husband invites delivery men in for a cuppa? How odd.
Maybe I'm just rude. I took out post from the post man through the lounge window this morning. He must think I am really rude.

worraliberty Sat 24-Sep-11 13:45:37

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was waiting for a parcel and found the Postie sipping Earl Grey with a neighbour grin

NormanTheForeman Sat 24-Sep-11 13:47:02

<makes note to knock on GeorgeEliot's door>

ChaoticAngeloftheUnderworld Sat 24-Sep-11 13:48:45

It would never occur to me to offer the postie, or any delivery man, in for a cup of tea for the same reasons as gaaagh. I don't think they'd want to come in with the dog barking at them either grin

ineedabodytransplant Sat 24-Sep-11 13:49:17

our postie makes me sick...

always smiling, singing and getting on with everyone

Couldn't meet a nicer bloke and I know he does get tea and bacon sarnies from some of the neighbours!!

Wish I had as much charm for the ladies he does.

GeorgeEliot Sat 24-Sep-11 13:55:38

Don't tell dh about the bacon sardines, they'll be queuing up.

DorothyGherkins Sat 24-Sep-11 14:02:40

Our posties would never have time, they all seem to be rush rush rush, red in the face and out of breath and practically run everywhere.

ChippingIn Sat 24-Sep-11 14:07:02

Your DH invited him in - why did you have to stop working?

I'm guessing it was your DH's lovely nature you fell in love with... you shouldn't resent it now smile

GeorgeEliot Sat 24-Sep-11 14:16:01

yup - the phrase 'generous to a fault' could have been coined just to describe him...

ineedabodytransplant Sat 24-Sep-11 14:17:31

DorothyGherkins,

I doubt it's their rounds making them all rush, red faced and out of breathgrin

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Sat 24-Sep-11 14:18:50

My DH is just like this. Drives me mad sometimes. grin

He isn't English. ;)

Kladdkaka Sat 24-Sep-11 14:22:16

This brings flashbacks to my childhood. My parents were like Ma and Pa Larkin. You could never get a seat at the kitchen table in the mornings. Mum would be serving up bacon butties to the postie, the milkman, the bread man, the bin men, the council grass cutters, the village copper and the vicar who swore us all to secrecy as his wife was a healthfood fanatic who'd kill him if she knew. (Not all at once of course, different people different days)

bigTillyMint Sat 24-Sep-11 14:26:22

I guess you don't live in London grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now