Talk

Advanced search

to find it strange that the Terence Higgins Trust have set up a directory enquiries number called 118GAY?

(2 Posts)
LisasCat Sat 24-Sep-11 08:12:00

I saw the advert for this last night, and I assume it's a profitable way to raise funds. But as I understand it, being one of the main charities supporting AIDS sufferers, one of the major remits of the THT is to challenge the notion that AIDS is a gay disease. This service, however, just reinforces that idea.

I don't know what 3 letter word they could have used instead, but I'm just wary of the THT doing something that identifies them as a service for the gay community only. They do fantastic work, and help people regardless of how they contracted the disease, and no one should ever feel shut off from their service because they think they're the wrong sexual orientation.

So AIBU and overthinking this? Should I just be pleased they've found a good source of revenue to support their work and a 3 letter word that makes it easy for people to remember the number?

OpenMouthInsertFoot Sat 24-Sep-11 09:32:39

Never heard of it.

Just googled and it seems it is not set up by them. But it is a company that is providing those services and has named the THT as its 'chosen charity'

So it's not them. They are just being given some money as this 118gay has chosen to support them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now