Talk

Advanced search

To have 'told' on him?

(14 Posts)
Marymaryalittlecontrary Fri 23-Sep-11 19:26:20

I was in a job centre type place today (not THE job centre but something similar) using a computer to apply for a job. A guy was there who obviously didn't want to be but had been told by his advisor to search for jobs online.

After 5 minutes he said "I'm done" and the woman supervising the room, but nothing particularly to do with him, looked online for him and found a couple of jobs in the sector he said he wanted to work in for him to apply to, including one for him to phone up about.

She showed him a few more sites to look at but practically as she walked away the guy was complaining "I'm bored!" This was a grown adult of about 30, not a teenager. The woman tried to chivy him along, and she suggested he ring about the job. She offered him the use of a phone for free but he said he'd use his.

She then went out to ask his advisor if she could see him, as he was moaning about how his appointment was 10 and it was now 10.10. But that is how the appointments there work - you do a job search then talk to an advisor, and this guy sat and moaned about everything to the man sitting next to him. He then said "I'm not going to ring that number. I'll tell her it was engaged."

This made me quite cross as I am trying really hard to find a job and am grateful for any help this place can give me. I was doing an online application, which took ages, so by the time I had finished there was only me and 2 members of staff in the room. I have chatted to the woman there quite a bit and get on well with her so before I left I said, "that guy didn't ring that number by the way. I heard him tell the man next to me he was going to tell you it was engaged." The woman looked a bit shocked, then said, "Thanks for telling me that, I'll let his advisor know."

Then I felt really awful! I don't normally stick my nose into other people's business, but this guy just annoyed me because people were trying to help him and he was not bothered and was also acting childishly, complaining he was bored etc. But, I don't know why he didn't want to ring the number. He might have had a good reason for all I know. I shouldn't have said anything should I?

What do you think? Was I unreasonable to tell on him?

worraliberty Fri 23-Sep-11 19:29:30

Yep YABU totally

You should have minded your own I'm afraid

Nanny0gg Fri 23-Sep-11 19:30:37

I don't know about him not being a teenager, but how old are you?

Oakmaiden Fri 23-Sep-11 19:32:14

seriously, worra? I probably wouldn't have bothered, but I don't think it was unreasonable of the OP. After all, it is sort-of cheating to claim a benefit which relies on you to be looking for a job and to actually refuse to look for a job and lie about it.

cricketballs Fri 23-Sep-11 19:33:25

why so worra? He is receiving benefits no doubt and playing the system 'looking for a job' whilst having no interest. Sorry, but i don't work 40+ hours a week, pay taxes and national insurance for a 30+ bloke to sit on his sorry arse

well done op!

featherbag Fri 23-Sep-11 19:35:34

YANBU - I would've done the same. If you're unemployed (and I don't mean disabled, a SAHP, or other valid reason for not being in paid employment) and on benefits your full-time occupation should be looking for work, any work. I say this as someone who has done some truly dreadful jobs in my life to avoid ever claiming a penny in benefits. There's no shame in having to be on benefits, but only if you're actively doing everything you can to get back into work.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 23-Sep-11 19:40:19

YANBU - I know many people who have no intention of getting a job, but merely waste everyone's time by fannying around like this arrogant way. I would have done the same.

Kayano Fri 23-Sep-11 19:42:42

I would have grasses on him. Too many lazy scum get away with not really trying and playing the system imo

Marymaryalittlecontrary Fri 23-Sep-11 19:44:08

I'm glad a few people don't think I was too unreasonable. I didn't want to get him into trouble, I was just talking to the woman because I've spoken to her before, get on well with her, and just sympathised that she had to help people who didn't want to be there. I thought she would just say something to acknowledge my sympathies, not say she would tell his advisor!

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Fri 23-Sep-11 19:46:50

Hmm it's something I could imagine me doing as well. The bloke just sounded incredibly annoying, not sure I could have helped myself [telltale emoticon]

eaglewings Fri 23-Sep-11 19:47:05

YANBU and I hope your application is successful

slavetofilofax Fri 23-Sep-11 19:50:47

YANBU.

If he is on job seekers allowance he should be properly job seeking. Otherwise he is committing benefit fraud.

You have no reason to feel bad, it came up naturally in the converstaion. It's not like you actively went out of your way to get this guy in trouble with some kind of intended malice. You did the right thing.

HeidiHole Fri 23-Sep-11 19:52:38

Good for you... too many see benefits as a way of life. Lazy arse needs to get himself a job!

CocktailQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 20:17:18

Nope, you were right. Lazy arse. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now