Talk

Advanced search

To omit to tell the WHOLE story

(10 Posts)
Angel786 Fri 23-Sep-11 15:55:08

Was employed by X Co (boring but senior importantish job) resigned to go to Y Co (dream job!), found out was pg so told X Co and asked to retract my resignation. X Co agreed so apologised to Y Co and explained not a good idea for me to only be with them a few months before going off to have a baby.

X Co kindly kept me on but have minimised my job by employing someone more senior than me (initially brought in to replace me but they let me stay too).

Have seen another dream job with Z Co. Do I need to tell Z Co all of the details about why there is now someone more senior than me at X Co when I was doing that job before, and also the fact that I am currently on mat leave. OR can I just play along as if I am still in the office so as not to be discriminated against on the grounds that I have a baby...

TIA

CailinDana Fri 23-Sep-11 15:59:23

Hmmm. Don't offer the information but do give it if asked would be my instinct. Don't lie, but don't overdo the honesty either.

itisnearlysummer Fri 23-Sep-11 16:01:02

Why do you need to tell them about the other person or being on mat leave?
Is your job title the same or has that changed?

Angel786 Fri 23-Sep-11 16:11:51

Itis I'm the one on mat leave. So I was head of the team, resigned found out was pg, stayed on. But as I resigned they had already found my replacement (new boss) but let me stay so new boss heads up the team I used to...

Now I am looking to apply for a new dream role (as new boss is mental) just wondered if I go for interviews whether I lie and make out like I am in the office or 'fess up that I'm on mat leave etc etc...

Not sure if it makes sense?

Andrewofgg Fri 23-Sep-11 16:15:10

'Fess up. If you don't and the truth outs, and it will out, you will appear devious if not dishonest, and that's not a good start to a happy employment relationship.

carabos Fri 23-Sep-11 16:18:40

Why does it matter that you're on mat leave? Just as legit to be applying for a new job when you're on leave as when you're not? In fact, being straight up about being on mat leave helps explain why you are no longer in your previous role (wanted a step back while pg etc).

itisnearlysummer Fri 23-Sep-11 16:20:58

I just don't understand why you need to tell them you're on maternity leave that's all. I understand the circumstances you described.

What question would they ask to which "I'm currently on maternity leave" would be the answer?

I asked if your job had the same title because I don't understand why the number of people above you would be an issue either.

Clearly my experience is in different area/environment to yours, so I clearly just don't understand the way your place works grin

I wouldn't lie, but only tell them what they need to know.

wineandroses Fri 23-Sep-11 16:27:42

I think you need to be honest about being on maternity leave. Presumably you won't be on leave at the start date - in which case you say "I am on Mat Leave now but will be available on X date". If X date happens to be some months away, they may not offer you the job (or they may, if they really want you they will wait), but if you say nothing and they do offer it and you accept and then say "actually I am not available for x months", they will be really cheesed off.

Re your current role, I'd probably keep that explanation brief - it all seems a bit odd; you resign then decide to return because pregnant - did the new company withdraw their offer or did you just assume they wouldn't be happy to wait for you? And now you have found "dream job" number 2? Best stick with "I am in x job but your job is my dream job hence application".

TheOriginalFAB Fri 23-Sep-11 16:27:51

They may ask why you don't want to go back to your previous job and are bound to ask what you are doing now. You need to make sure you don't come across as indecisive or unable to run your private life when actually you were trying to be fair by Y Co and have planned the baby.

Angel786 Fri 23-Sep-11 19:05:36

Thanks all. I have spoken to a friend who is a recruiter in the sector I'm in (law, sigh). His advice was don't bring it up but do say it if offered the role / it comes up in conversation as it's important to build trust.

wine I'd be available to start the new role in 3 months time which is my notice period (and fairly standard for my area). I rejected the new co as starting a job 3 months pg with morning sickness etc and stress of job as lawyer in new co would be tough. I also thought it wasn't fair on new co as they wanted someone to be settling in and getting cracking rather than going off for a year after just being there six months.

I think Original's point is very good - I don't want to look like a mess when I was trying to do the best by newco (and my baby to be).

Itis small interview conversation like "did you manage to get out the office ok?", "what are you currently working on" - I could blag but may look dishonest if they later find out I'm on mat leave.

It seems sensible to not bring the situation up myself, but if pressed to confirm I am on mat leave and this is the sector I really want to work in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now