Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be mighty p***ed that ds has already lost a school jumper

(38 Posts)
northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 14:58:34

ok so ds has been in reception just two weeks and already he's come home with someone else's tiny old jumper. where is the brand new labelled correct size one i sent him in with? who knows. and if, as everyone keeps saying, things will inevitably go missing why don't parents send them back in to the teacher. ( i have visions of people sat at home unpicking stitched on labels with glee.) how do you get kids to look after their stuff and check that what they are wearing actually belongs to them???

gethelp Fri 23-Sep-11 15:10:44

Yes, it happens, some parents will do that. Named trainers, new sweatshirts even trousers have gone and never come back - despite regular lost property checking. Still makes me mad, it's stealing.
Check your child when they come out of school to see if they're wearing their own clothes, it's the only way. Although when you see the amount of stuff in lost property it's obviously easy-come easy-go for some people.

gethelp Fri 23-Sep-11 15:12:10

And no YANBU, p***sed off is exactly right.

icooksocks Fri 23-Sep-11 15:17:45

YANBU. The last time this happened to my dd I demanded the school replace blush they did as well grin

Charleymouse Fri 23-Sep-11 15:31:57

People pinch unfortunately. I use big block capitals and write inside the hem on all the clothes in permanent marker pen. It is then really obvious to my kids/teachers which items belong to them and it is a deterrent to those who would prefer this years new supply of school uniform. It can not be unstitched/cut out and although needs rewriting after a while is pretty hard wearing.

Anyone any advice on what to do about the black items as DD has already lost her PE shorts. Labelled on the internal label ,so the thieving varmints have cut it out which now appear to be being worn by her 'friend'

CoffeeDog Fri 23-Sep-11 15:34:21

my DD had 4 yes 4 cardi - sweater things go missing last year at £16 a go sad

Labeled collor and up the sleeve (with an iron on)... went in reception to ask for 'lost' property and was just told take what ever your DD size is... Most of the stuff was labeled.... We found 1 that was her's the rest disapered

northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 15:43:36

gethelp - wow trousers?
charleymouse - will do the marker thing this weekend. i knew i should have done it before he started but i just could not believe that it would be necessary after all i bought lovely labels with a little football embroidered next to his name. but sod that i was a first time school mum sucker and should have just bought a permanent marker!
anyway i have confiscated his money box to 'pay' for said jumper and told him we are not going to the park. i feel very unreasonable doing it but was trying not to shout and had to do something to get it into his head not to lose his clothes. ds then told me very seriously that we should get a superhero to go the school to look for it either power ranger or spiderman - i managed not to laugh.

northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 15:53:59

coffedog - 4? 4? but this is too painful to comprehend.
i bought 1 yes 1 jumper and thought that would see me through the year! ah what a fool i was...
am now tempted to write his name in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS all over the front of every single item and dare someone to nick it!
if the jumper doesn't make it back next week i will have to get another one. i refuse to use the mangy minuscule one he came back with as i was still enjoying the 'oh my baby looks so grown up in his nice new uniform' glance down as we walked to school. perhaps by lost item number 3 i will have become jaded and disappointed enough in humanity not to shun the lost property-take-it-if-it-fits suggestion...

Charleymouse Fri 23-Sep-11 15:58:22

Yes I bought labels with a picture next to them for easy spotting but numerous water bottles later out comes the permanent marker and even a sharp implement to scratch some items.

Aah Northernline how cute. Why don't you get him some superhero pants and delegate the role to him to find his own things.

Most outside playtime results in a pile of jumpers/cardis on the floor at my DCs school, then the bell goes and all the kids just run off leaving uniform scatterd to the wind.

Mine doesn't even have a lost property as it only encourages people to lose things apparently. Sigh. Just a systematic trawl around the playground and pegs every so often and I manage to collect the DCs random items.

Pinot Fri 23-Sep-11 16:22:16

icooksocks you actually made the school use funds allocated to learning to replace a jumper? Wow.

OP, it happens. To everyone. Life is too short to get ragey about it. Just mark em up and accept it as a (short) part of raising kids.

gethelp Fri 23-Sep-11 16:28:26

Jumpers get taken off and strewn about at playtime, and PE changing is usually done at high speed and in close proximity so not surprised at trouser confusion! Maybe not fair to make your ds pay the price, especially if someone else has 'targeted' his lovely new jumper. . .
Wait til he 'leaves' his rugby kit including boots on the bus to exact that punishment.

Tewkespeggy Fri 23-Sep-11 16:34:43

last term a boy in my dd's class got his shoes mixed up. Brand new named clarkes shoes... gone! pair of scruffy, worn out, plimsoles left in its place.

I'd of had every pair of shoes off until i found it. how do they get away with it?

RantyMcRantpants Fri 23-Sep-11 16:38:15

I now have three DC's in school and in the first week we had 2 school jumpers, a school fleece and a full PE bag go missing. I look through the lost property box every other day now and have a quick look round the cloakrooms, stuff generally turns up, I now only have a jumper missing so he's going in in the one from last year at the moment which is a bit scraggy.

northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 17:11:41

ok i am getting over it with the help of you all so cheers! and yes pinot - i know i know all part of the territory but in the moment of discovery surely i am allowed a little moan?!!!
BUT - tewkespeggy - if the shoes go missing i will be frisking feet until i find my boy's geox shoes. i am not buying another pair until his toes are peeking out the front!

Bramshott Fri 23-Sep-11 17:20:28

How long has it been gone for? Stuff usually turns up within a couple of weeks, having been either
(a) in a messy pile on the cloakroom floor - usually cleared up by the caretaker on a Friday
(b) left on the school playground - very common with days that start cold and warm up
(c) gone home on someone else, who has washed it before realising that it's not theirs

I wouldn't punish a 4 year old for losing clothes though sad. TBH I don't 'punish' my 8 year old for losing them - just keep on at her to keep looking. Everything we've ever lost has turned up in the end, although some have been gone at times for over 6 weeks (I assume somewhere in school which then gets sorted out at the end of term).

Floggingmolly Fri 23-Sep-11 17:39:47

Aw, making a 4 year old pay for his missing school jumper out of his pocket money! That is seriously OTT.

northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 17:44:25

ok bramshott as pinot said i know i should calm down and i have and probably it will turn up but like i said in the moment and what with ds being my first in school and the memory of never having lost an item at school myself can i not be forgiven for having a mini rant?
i must admit i am not always the most rational parent though i do try my best. anyway am being badgered for dinner by a four and three year old.. alas life goes on!

northernline Fri 23-Sep-11 17:47:28

floggingmolly - see above. blimey ahhh! i'm off!

Tewkespeggy Fri 23-Sep-11 19:41:11

i would frisk the feet too..... but the mum in question wasnt allowed! every child had to check thier own feet and a search was done. I guess they didnt want to single out the thief in case they infringe the childs human rights.

Personnally, i would have gone bananas, but this mother took it in her stride, she was fuming at first but then it passed. maybe she sorted it out with the school on the quiet.

Not me... i'd of made a fuss you could hear on Mars.

Mumcentreplus Fri 23-Sep-11 19:49:13

People are fucking thieves i tell you!!! personally i think some children are coached to nick others cardi's etc..last year my DDs brand new fleece was stolen from her peg...

Funnily enough, my DD1's new form teacher found her sons jumper that went missing last year (brand new) on one of her new pupils...still named

MayDayChild Fri 23-Sep-11 19:57:47

There was recent post about why bother naming. At all. It just gets nicked.
This has happened in our reception class this week. Missing stuff I mean, not necessarily nicked grin

icooksocks Sat 24-Sep-11 11:51:00

pinot for the record no-they gave me one from a pupil that had left the school. I was happy with that, and I think its fair enough. So get off your high horse my dear.

troisgarcons Sat 24-Sep-11 11:52:58

First week of the summer hols I got a call from school saying Y10's PE kit had been discovered (they are all monogrammed and he's the only one with those initials). It was the kit he lost in Y7!!!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 24-Sep-11 11:53:39

Pinot, in what possible way is the school responsible for replacing items that you child didn't look after properly??

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 24-Sep-11 11:54:12

Damn - to wrong poster! Was obviously to icooksocks, not pinot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now