Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do we think of Cameron's new Great Britain campaign?

(20 Posts)
strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 14:09:50

Am i being unreasonable to think that featuring a portrait of the --serial killer--monarch Henry V111 on the new poster campaign to promote Britain is at the worst morally f**king questinoable and at best unimaginative?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 23-Sep-11 14:10:33

Link?

mumsamilitant Fri 23-Sep-11 14:12:36

Think its fine. I loved the tudors.

strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 14:14:43

How do I add a link?

Load of bollocks innit.

sunshineandbooks Fri 23-Sep-11 14:19:10

Well, given that Henry VIII clearly thought women were only good for shagging and having children, and the Coalition cuts disproportionately affect women far more than men, it's probably a fair representation, as both seem to consider women as a sub-race rather than the 52% of the population we actually are. wink

strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 14:20:35

according to hollinshed, henry V111 executed 72,000 people including his wives! what's wrong with a portrait of a well known writer, artist, musician! sorry still can't work out links

ZeldaUpNorth Fri 23-Sep-11 14:25:19

This is the only place i can find with all the posters on.
www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2040322/David-Cameron-announces-GREAT-Britain-campaign-ahead-London-2012-Olympics.html

strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 14:29:22

OK. I now see that the portrait is part of a wider message to promote museums, but still! Why not feature a picture of Mr Shipman under the strapline the NHS is Great!

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 23-Sep-11 14:31:56

Henry VIII is a well-known image of Britain around the world. Difficult to pick any old English King or Queen, really that hasn't presided of a bit of war, torture or wanton destruction.

strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 14:43:31

Shakespeare is a well-known image around the world. dont think he killed anyone

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 23-Sep-11 14:47:34

Doesn't pay to judge historical figures by modern standards, I find. Other images include Richard Branson, Oxford University and the Ribblehead Viaduct. Nice spread of iconic images.

sunshineandbooks Fri 23-Sep-11 15:03:48

But Henry VIII was a bit of a crap king, truth be told. He left the country in a much poorer than he found it, despite being left huge amounts of money by his predecessor.

His reformation was much more about the quest for an heir than any real depth of thought about religion, since he he was well known for his love of traditional style of Catholic services, etc.

He started out as a promising young king with much potential, but ended up a complete megalomaniac (though to be fair the 'divine right of kings' rule would encourage that).

He would hardly have been so remembered had he not had 6 wives, and some historians believe England may have reverted to Catholicism had he not gone on to have had yet more wives after Jane Seymour and needed yet another divorce.

Now his daughter would be a much better choice - Armada, huge upswing in the nation's wealth, rich cultural development...

PamBeesly Fri 23-Sep-11 15:13:10

YANBU, just because it happened long ago doesn't mean we 'forget'

strangetowngirl Fri 23-Sep-11 15:14:36

school run calls but would love to continue discussion later!

gethelp Fri 23-Sep-11 15:22:05

Shakespeare was an absent father wasn't he? Glad all the extra tax we're paying is going on something useful.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 23-Sep-11 15:37:19

Shakespeare famously left his wife his 'second best bed' in his will. Good job Mrs S didn't have access to MN.

The Holbein Portrait of Henry VIII is as iconic a British image as Sydney Opera House or Mount Rushmore. Places with a bloodthirsty history like the Tower of London are a mecca for overseas visitors. 'Horrible Histories' is one of the best shows on TV. Hangings, beheadings, heads on pikes, persecution .... all gruesome stuff but it's part of our heritage. Britain isn't Disneyworld.

gethelp Fri 23-Sep-11 16:31:30

How about the Mumsnet logo instead? Logs off and goes out

issynoko Fri 23-Sep-11 16:45:03

Shakespeare and Ann Hathaway had worn out the very best bed of course. It was a intimate joke between them and she gave a sorrowful smile when she read that bit.

People love Henry VIII - he is more mythology than anything - all that fatness and fur - no wonder he's a symbol of 'greatness'. And much more a recognisable than, say William the Conqueror or Egbert of Wessex. And they'd hardly use Richard Cromwell, also known as Tumbledown Dick. Tudors are very popular. This is an international campaign. I doubt Cameron has had much to do with it - which advertising agency came up with it? I'm certain much time was spent on the Heritage personality and they will have gone with the one that tested best.

garlicnutty Fri 23-Sep-11 17:43:07

They're spending half a million on it? Last year's "Change4Life" obesity awareness campaign was £14m. Shame the budget isn't GREAT, huh.

Don't worry about the ads, nobody will see them hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now