Talk

Advanced search

Community midwives - overdressed?

(22 Posts)
deliakate Fri 23-Sep-11 13:59:19

Fully prepared to be slated here..... but....

The community midwives in our area really struck me when they came avisiting after both of my summer babies as having slightly over thought their outfits.

Its really none of my business what they wear, of course. But an observation is not I hope out of order.

They were all sparkly sandals, pedicures, white linen pant suits, glitter tops and lots of makeup. It did make me wonder whether they were headed out to a cocktail party on a yacht in the french riviera after hours - once they had finished dealing with the frazzled new mums with sick in their hair, messy houses who had only just changed out of their pyjamas in time for the visit.

AIBU to think some places of work become competitive, and you end up with more and more glamourous and spangly work outfits appearing each day, as part of the culture? Or was I just feeling a frump and jealous??

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Sep-11 14:02:09

LOL!

I saw mine yesterday and she was wearing slacks and her NHS tunic.

worraliberty Fri 23-Sep-11 14:03:01

YABU sounds like you were feeling a frump and jealous.

And not all new mums have sick in their hair and messy houses.

itisnearlysummer Fri 23-Sep-11 14:03:24

Perhaps it's to guilt all the slovenly new mums into making a bit more effort grin

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Fri 23-Sep-11 14:03:52

As a health worker myself, I have to say, after many years in uniforms, generally most of us are terrible at putting together outfits. I have been able to spot many a MW on a day off by 'wacky' earrings or funny purple hair.

There is something about only being able to express a bit of your personality through your clothes. I am in a no uniform job now, I look like shit and I can't accessorise for toffee.

MerylStrop Fri 23-Sep-11 14:04:22

I would have thought it would be more professional to wear NHS uniform.

Are you SURE it was a midwife, not an Avon rep?

MollyTheMole Fri 23-Sep-11 14:04:54

You are feeling a frump and jealous smile

I would have seen style in a bucket full of shit when I got home with DS

MoaningMinnieWhingesAgain Fri 23-Sep-11 14:07:51

My money is on them being Health Visitors wink

deliakate Fri 23-Sep-11 14:09:06

The health visitors are a lot more ordinarily dressed. They still look nice, are not in uniform, but they are not quite so..... blingin'

deliakate Fri 23-Sep-11 14:10:07

Oh, minnie, the HVs' natural beauty shines through!

Sewmuchtodo Fri 23-Sep-11 14:12:37

Send your well dressed midwife my way.......my midwife was here this morning and looked like she had slept in her faded and crumpled blue linen trousers and slightly stained/soiled red t-shirt.

Also I agree with Worraliberty, I have a new baby but im fully dressed, clean, make up on and housework done. I hate feeling scruffy, and can always find 5min to make myself feel clean and tidy.

deliakate Fri 23-Sep-11 14:13:59

To confirm, my house was always tidy too, and I looked pretty. Ping.

JohnniesBitch Fri 23-Sep-11 14:17:16

i'm not sure about aybu, but sounds strange for a midwife to come in civvies. most trusts issue uniform and we had to wear hideous nylon lilac blouses with navy blue workwear trousers, or navy scrubs on the wards.

LillyTheMinx Fri 23-Sep-11 14:23:57

feeling a frump and jealous me thinks

michelleseashell Fri 23-Sep-11 14:24:18

Ugh I know exactly what you mean. I remember one time I spent a night in hospital. It was an emergency so I had nothing with me and I'd fallen asleep in my clothes. By the morning I was crumpled, my hair all Cameron Diaz spunk quiff, foul breath, the weepy black eyes of a chimney sweep and croaking like a frog stuck on it's back. Cue the most beautifully made up young female doctor waking me up. Hair in ringlets, perfect manicure, smart suit, make up you'd kick a puppy for. I could have died. I would've given my kingdom for a dash round Boots with a tenner.

cat64 Fri 23-Sep-11 14:46:10

Message withdrawn

MainlyMaynie Fri 23-Sep-11 15:34:57

I've never seen a midwife not in uniform! But then I probably do have baby sick in my hair, the most housework I can manage is sticking the washing on and I can't imagine wanting to make time to put make up on, so maybe they just don't want to make me feel bad.

Bue Fri 23-Sep-11 16:54:23

Not strange for the CM to be in civvies, lots of trusts do that now. In mine (I am a student midwife) we have to wear black trousers and white top, but it can be anything reasonably smart that we own. Your midwives' outfits do sound slightly over the top, but then again, someone was on here a few months back complaining that her CM in the clinic was wearing a flowery top and jeans. The horror!

gallicgirl Fri 23-Sep-11 16:58:36

My CMWs all wore civvies and trust me, I saw a lot of them!

They were always smartly dressed but not over-dressed. wouldn't have looked out of place in my office. Surprisingly, they didn't seem at all concerned about my baby puking on them, even at 8:30 am when I must have been the first call of the day.

BakeliteBelle Fri 23-Sep-11 18:30:02

Ha ha. Just like female newsreaders - I want my news read by a frumpy old bat, not some beauty who looks like she's on her way to a high-octane cocktail party

Pseudonym99 Fri 23-Sep-11 20:22:44

I could be considered a breach of patient confidentiality if NHS midwives / community nurses etc turned up in uniform as all the neighbours would know that they were ha ing treatment.

rogersmellyonthetelly Fri 23-Sep-11 20:32:02

Regards to breaching patient confidentiality, for the cm I should think the new baby would be more of a giveaway than the midwife visiting......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now