Talk

Advanced search

To think that parents should apologise if their very young DC do something untoward?

(6 Posts)
CocoPopsAddict Thu 22-Sep-11 18:17:17

Earlier today SIL and two year old DN were round at our house.

I was out of the room putting DS down for a nap. DH was preparing lunch for us all.

DN manages to drop one of DS' toys off our balcony into undergrowth below (a public place).

Now, fine, not a big deal, a 2 year old accidentally drops something and I am hardly going to start a family feud over it!

But I came back in just after it happened and she was sort of like 'oh DN, you're such a rascal' etc type stuff.

I think SIL could have at least said sorry and offered to go down and get it? I mean, that's what I would have done. Seems rude to just not acknowledge it to us and then expect us to have to go down and get it.

It sounds a small thing but I just can't imagine going to someone else's house and doing that.

AIBU?

Sevenfold Thu 22-Sep-11 18:23:36

yanbu. it is called manners

Firawla Thu 22-Sep-11 18:43:07

yanbu!

ChristinedePizan Thu 22-Sep-11 18:44:53

yanbu, that's rubbish

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Thu 22-Sep-11 18:49:00

yanbu

It shows they care, and it models an apology in front of their DC.

My friend's baby got whacked on the head hard by a toddler. Having had 2 toddlers herself, my friend knows what toddlers are like. She mildly told the toddler off for hitting (mother not in the room), and all the mother said was "she doesn't understand" - well, the toddler may not understand, but she should see her parent apologise, and be told not to do it.

MangoMonster Thu 22-Sep-11 18:54:42

Yanbu, apology would have been good. Maybe she thought it was irretrievable...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now