Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have the same jogging bottoms for 12 years?

(28 Posts)
lolaflores Thu 22-Sep-11 18:04:22

To clairfy, not the only pair. But, when the day is done and the papparazzi have gone home, I slip into a huge pair of reebok bottoms that I bought 12 years ago for £4 in a charity shop. They are my shock absorbers at the end of the day. They are only starting to fray at the bum level. I am worried that I will never find another. I am willing though, to pay more than £4 for their successors. But, I don't think I shall ever throw them away. I want to be buried in them. Comfy in the ever after.

Am I a total fucking slob/shame/hopeless case?

worraliberty Thu 22-Sep-11 18:05:30

As long as you don't wear them round Tesco with a dressing gown, YANBU.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 22-Sep-11 18:07:39

I have a pair of black silk shalwar trousers that is 30 years old. Unfortunately they gave up the ghost while I was wearing them last night and ripped while I was out but fortunately didn't fall down!

squeakytoy Thu 22-Sep-11 18:07:44

I have a pair of Adidas tracksuit bottoms that I have had for nearly ten years, they have travelled the world with me, and are still as good as new!

lolaflores Thu 22-Sep-11 18:09:19

I scurry out to the bins in them, one hand keeping them up. they are purely for lying on the couch and scratching my arse in. And squeaks, these things seem indestructable. Been through a pregnancy that kept me mostly housebound and they were my one comfort.

Ragwort Thu 22-Sep-11 18:09:33

My favourite dress is over 20 years old - I was thinking of wearing it to a 21st birthday party but then realised I had worn it at the christening of the same person and was embarrassed in case they showed the photos grin.

lolaflores Thu 22-Sep-11 18:11:53

Ragwort, you must be in some good shape. I would wear the dresst when you find what you love, even after 20 years and still get your arse into it, I would be wearing a sign round my neck.

Mandy2003 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:22:12

I wore the same Adidas pants for around 10 years (well, alternating pairs to accommodate washing in fact!) Didn't have any maternity wear at all, jus' loosed the strings y'all grin

It was only the fact that no matter how far I undid the zips at the ankles they still looked too gathered that made me give them up. I am now the same way with Pineapple high-lycra black stretch pants, just changed from bootleg to straight this year!

Tewkespeggy Thu 22-Sep-11 19:29:22

I once heard someone famous say that the biggest cause of divorce in america is jogging bottoms.

if he still loves you in them... fab! btw i'm dressed head to foot in fleece at the mo (feeling poorly ) and he still comes home and says 'hi gorgeous'

Mandy2003 Thu 22-Sep-11 19:34:06

Oh I agree Tewkespeggy - I had a biker mate who thought Jogging Bottom was a disease! Mine were, of course, athletic pants smile

gardenpixies32 Fri 23-Sep-11 09:16:48

YANBU. I have a oversized grey jumper that I have had for 14 years. I love to slob around the house in it. It is a bit threadbare in places but cannot bring myself to throw it out.

SardineQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 09:21:12

YANBU

i think I have the same pair grin

But they are starting to get a bit threadbare where my thighs rub from overuse and I am genuinely concerned that I might not be able to get replacements.

The other weird thing is they are a size 10, and I was a size 10 when I bought them, and now I am a 14 and they fit lovely. They must be moulded to my contours. The prob is that if I buy a 14 to replace them they will be far too long and so the whole thing is a disaster and I'm going to have to have a cry.

<sobs>

SardineQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 09:23:05

I don't even know how to go about replacing them. My ex bought them for me 15 years ago.

<has another little cry>

SardineQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 09:24:36

do these look comfy?

I am shit at sports wear. I don't do sports.

<wails>

SardineQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 09:26:11

teehee don't know what the neighbours would make of me putting the bins out in these!

golemmings Fri 23-Sep-11 10:05:58

My beloved purple veggie docs (bought in 1994-5) moved house with me about 4 times even after the soles had worn off and they were unwearable. I only got rid of them 3 years ago when we had to put everything into storage and I couldn't reconcile paying to store something that really was unrepairable.

My winter coat I have had for 21 years. It galls me every time I fill the car up that when I bought it - the most expensive thing I'd ever bought - it costs the same as a tank of diesel now.

You would be unreasonable to get rid of them if they are still serviceable!

lolaflores Fri 23-Sep-11 10:47:06

I do the "it will fit me in 6 months...course it will" bullshit and try and play the long game. I am also looking for the ultimate winter coat, which is basically a duvet that starts at the top of my head and just goes down. Arms are optional. I saw Bjork wearing something akin to what I want. But her knees were out. So that won't do. Or just make me look like The Michelin Man. I will need two seats on the bus. Fuck em

Mandy2003 Fri 23-Sep-11 11:15:36

Was it Margiela's duvet coat from 1990 you were thinking of? Sardine - don't go for three-quarter joggers - cold air will get in where you don't want it!

If you want a very cheap bit of comfort to experiment with while looking for the perfect pair, but can still be worn outside in the hours of darkness, try the velour pants from Primarni at the moment - about £6.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 23-Sep-11 11:22:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rookiemater Fri 23-Sep-11 11:34:46

I have just been out for a run in a 14 year old t-shirt, I know this as it has 97 on the front, also have one from Uni graduation which must be at least 19 years old , nowt wrong with old clothes particularly as we may be entering a period of extreme austerity

Scholes34 Fri 23-Sep-11 12:01:37

You've obviously not done a lot of jogging in the past 12 years!

My DD has taken to wearing a very nice lambs wool cardigan of mine I bought 22 years ago (from the menswear dept in M&S - they don't make them to the same quality any more).

SardineQueen Fri 23-Sep-11 13:33:15

mandy thanks for the tip about draughts! I wouldn't want to get any breezes up.

And for the primark tip! There is hope.

lolaflores Fri 23-Sep-11 13:59:34

cheers all. and the austerity reminder. With that, I can be found rumaging in one of those charity bins. I am small enough to get in, not sure about the exit. Feign ignorance when the come to clear it.

SpiderObsession Fri 23-Sep-11 15:09:05

Haven't you put on any weight in the last 12 years?

YABU simply cos I'm jealous. envy

YankNCock Fri 23-Sep-11 15:10:56

I have loads a few items of clothing that moved with me from the USA, and that was 9 years ago. And I didn't buy it right before I left either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now