Advanced search

Getting house in joint names

(152 Posts)
CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 14:59:46

I know this is not the correct forum but it gets the most traffic and I need advice.

DP has always owned our homes jn his name but I want that to change when we buy next year. I don't work (SAHM) and I know he will argue that as I don't have a job I can't be on the mortgage. Can anyone clarify for me if this is true? I needs some financial security for me and the DC's. TIA

StrandedBear Thu 22-Sep-11 15:03:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slightlymad72 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:04:56

I'm a SAHM and I'm on the mortgage, I wouldn't have it any otherway

Shodan Thu 22-Sep-11 15:05:20

You don't have to be on the mortgage to have the house in both names. We have done exactly this and I am a SAHM. I'm afraid that I can't remember offhand how we did it though- probably through the solicitor.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 15:06:23

If you're worried about financial security and you're only a 'P' then definitely get yourself named on the mortgage and the deeds. If you were a 'W' it would be different.

Reality Thu 22-Sep-11 15:06:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eurochick Thu 22-Sep-11 15:08:29

Remember if you do this you are liable for the entire debt if he buggers off or the housing market tanks and you end up in negative equity.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 15:10:46

Even if he 'buggers off', he's still jointly liable. And if the housing market tanks, it's not an issue unless you actually need to move house.

Boo81 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:11:16

Yes you can get on the mortgage. Its very common for SAHM's to be included on the mortgage and to own the house jointly.

Have you and your DP written wills? If he currently owns the house and he doesn't have a will then you are leaving yourself in a very tricky position should (god forbid) something happen him. I'm presuming here that you're not married because you've written "DP".

mumsamilitant Thu 22-Sep-11 15:15:37

Get the pen and sign the document! Don't leave yourself and DC/s without a roof over your heads if it all goes tits up. Or marry him.

CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:17:20

Yep not married, two DC's. It's awkward because he owned a property before we met, which he then sold after DC1 was born as it was a third floor flat with no lift. The proceeds of the house sale went into his bank account and we are now renting but he wants to buy next year but he is talking as if HE will be buying it.

It's a very awkward situation for me because I am asking to be put onthr mortgage but I won't be contributing financially, however I am bringing up his two children. It's so bloody awkward, advice gratefully appreciated. sad

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 22-Sep-11 15:18:19

OOoh what's his game eh!? You should be on the house and you can do that without moving. Your salary doesn't have to come into it, he can just put your name on the deeds.

eurochick Thu 22-Sep-11 15:18:29

Yes, I am aware of that Cogito. I was pointing out that there are potential liabilities as well as upsides to doing this.

Reality Thu 22-Sep-11 15:19:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Thu 22-Sep-11 15:22:00

You are doing a job as much as he is and seeing as you are a family you work as one unit. His wages are for both of you just as the job you do as a SAHM benefits him.

Does he feel your contribution is worthless?

You are risking being left penniless by letting this continue. He could chuck you out and you will have not built up any equity and I assume you will also not have a career seeing as your a SAHM.

If he put lots of money into the equity before you come along then that can go in the contract so that for eg, you sell and he gets 60% and you get 40% etc.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Thu 22-Sep-11 15:22:03

Rubbish! For your own protection you must have your name on the maortgage. He is being a bit of a scumbag.

NinkyNonker Thu 22-Sep-11 15:22:36

We live in a house DH bought, my flat is rented out. I'm not on the mortgage but am on the deeds or something, the solicitors did it. It would not be fair for you to be compromised by having children in this way, and he needs to realise he isn't a single chap any more.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 22-Sep-11 15:25:18

"I am asking to be put on the mortgage but I won't be contributing financially, however I am bringing up his two children."

Exactly. You are bring up his children, and if you were not doing so he would not be able to work/earn or would have to pay someone else to do it.

Just because no money changes hands does NOT mean that you are not contributing financially.

CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:27:11

We are currently renting at the moment (joint tenants) but I am become really worried about this issue, as he keeps talking about when he buys another house for us. The year tenency runs out next March so we will be looking to buy then. I'm feeling increasingly vulnerable. I haven't got a leg to stand on at the moment, have I?

glitterkitten Thu 22-Sep-11 15:29:11

given you are cohabitees, the main points are as follows;

1) you need your name on the property. Otherwise, in the event of a split, the presumption will be that he gets the house and you get nothing. Unless (and its a big unless) you can prove you have made substantial financial contribution to the mortgage or in terms of increasing the value of the home (i.e home improvements). If you own the property jointly the presumption upon splitting is that (if Jt tenants) you and he would have 50/50 interests in the property or (if tenants in common with designated "shares") your interest in the home will be however it is described in the tenancy in common.

2) Adding you name to the mortgage only brings with it a liability- i.e to pay the mortgage. it wouldn't in itself give you an interest in the property.

CJ2010 Thu 22-Sep-11 15:34:10

Can someone clarify for me please - do I need to be on the mortgage or the deeds? Or both? I'm confused! blush

Firawla Thu 22-Sep-11 15:35:50

you need to just be honest with him about your feelings, dont just leave it cos you feel awkward, its better to openly just tell him you want your name put on the house deeds and see what he says? it may just have not occured to him, or if he says no then you will need to find out why and what he's thinking

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 22-Sep-11 15:39:26

You need to be on the deeds - to be one of the owners. You don't need to be on the mortgage - to be liable to the bank for repaying the loan.

glitterkitten Thu 22-Sep-11 15:41:40


my advice is correct grin

glitterkitten Thu 22-Sep-11 15:42:18

but whereyouleftit says it better/clearer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now