Talk

Advanced search

to think when did I get old and how did I not notice??

(13 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Thu 22-Sep-11 14:43:35

Yesterday I received a pension summary in the post. I have 23 years and 2 days left to work.

That evening I went out to dinner with some old friends. One of whom spent 10 mins telling us how the young couple next door had not put their bins out and she had become so annoyed she went round to tell them but they were chasing each other round the garden at the time laughing and kissing when she called. We laughed and pondered on how they would have viewed her and we had all turned into people who seem worn down by responsibility and well, life really.

Do we have to turn into the grumpy old cow who moans about the bins?

How did it creep up on us without us noticing?

AIBU or can you keep the fun in your life is so how???

I had a wonderful evening but couldn't help thinking that I may only have 23 yrs and 2 days left (maybe) but the years that are now behind me were the best years.

aldiwhore Thu 22-Sep-11 14:48:56

Well I can't tell you what to do, I'm 37 and still feel young, but not AS young as I was!

My mother has a lots of faults as does my Father, but they are young for the age (without being embarrassing) they're active, fun, and having a busy and great life. They refuse to 'settle' for retirement and both still work, for themselves. They still have a mortgage, this funds their lifestyle, they'll die with a mortgage and probably move another 5 or 6 times.

I think they feel older sometimes, because in your mid 60's you feel the early mornings a little more, and a draught excluder become a priority, but they live like they have a lifetime to go.

I'll never be 20 again, I have some fond memories... I guess that also retrospect always makes life seem rosier (or darker) than it was. Keep creating memories, keep learning, and keep loving life. Its what I intend to do... I'll let you know how I get on!

betterwhenthesunshines Thu 22-Sep-11 14:51:39

Never look in the mirror in bright light, look after yourself, always have plans to start something new.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 14:53:36

Being a grumpy old cow moaning about bins, loud music pumping out of car windows and young people who generally seem to be having more sex than I am..... is the fun in my life smile

aldiwhore Thu 22-Sep-11 14:57:12

cogitoergosometimes grin

mumsamilitant Thu 22-Sep-11 14:58:37

One of my favourite TV shows is Grumpy Old Women. In fact, I take notes!

No way would I like to go back to my youth. Been there, done that, got the
t-shirt (it's a bit tight these days though).

PotatoSkins Thu 22-Sep-11 15:00:26

brilliant thread. I made the grave mistake of buying one of those 5 x magnifying mirrors.

Took one look and thought wtf has happened here.

Depressed me all day

now it is consigned to the back of the bathroom cabinet.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 22-Sep-11 15:02:15

I tell you one thing I totally love about getting old...... it's that I can do exactly as I please without being crippled by self-consciousness and wondering what anyone else thinks. I know when I'm properly having fun because DS will hiss that I am being soooo embarrassing. <Punches air> Result!!!!

Andrewofgg Thu 22-Sep-11 15:29:53

You are not getting older - it's just longer since you were born.

AvaLafff Thu 22-Sep-11 15:34:27

Took one look and thought wtf has happened here.

lol thats made me LOL grin

mumsamilitant Thu 22-Sep-11 15:35:01

I no longer have to shop for a certain accessory - I have a permanent "menopausal BELT" grin

TalcAndTurnips Thu 22-Sep-11 15:48:27

I am strongly considering browsing the Check-a-Trader site in order to secure the services of an expert plasterer and painter & decorator.

Maybe they could apply a layer of some sort of miraculous flexible filler to minimise the ravaging on my poor, tired face. If you can smooth out the imperfections on a wall, why not? Then an expert job with a bit of distemper and matt emulsion should tart-up the exterior a treat.

Whilst there, I shall also seek a re-upholsterer; the stuffing on my top bollocks and arse seems to have gone all lumpy. I seem also to be suffering some form of subsidence and 'heave' - maybe I need underpinning, too.

angry

sad

CailinDana Thu 22-Sep-11 15:52:18

Talc that post was hilarious grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now