Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How big should it be?

(11 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:49

I worked 7 and a quarter hour long shift today working with children in a nursery. I was given 20 minutes to have a break in during the middle of it. I thought it was a bit stingy. AIBU?

I'm genuinely interested to know your views. It's not a stealth moan.

Mightimama Wed 21-Sep-11 22:09:14

I think for every 4-6 hours you work there has to be a 20 min break. Does seem stingy if you are on your feet with toddlers all day.

Birdsgottafly Wed 21-Sep-11 22:15:02

We get 30 mins dinner break on a 7 hour shift. It depends in care on the whole set up and what activities are planned, whether you can get a drink whilst working, go to the toilet etc.

Tidybush Wed 21-Sep-11 22:19:14

You are legally entitled to a 20 minute break if you work 6 or more hours. The break cannot be added on to the end of the shift.

Do you have anything in your contract about breaks?

Mbear Wed 21-Sep-11 22:31:12

Also it can depend on how much of the shift you are paid for. So you may be legally entitled to take 45 mins (I think that's right for 7.5 hrs) but you are not paid for 25 of that, so they are just giving you the breaks they pay you for. Best way is to ask, and have them explain their system.

Kayano Wed 21-Sep-11 22:32:19

I am
Going to play a game
Of
Only answering based on the title of te thread.

At least 7 inches but pref more grin

TiggyD Wed 21-Sep-11 22:37:46

Kayano It's only 7 inches when I fold it in half! (Not really. I'm hung like a gerbil)

I don't get paid for breaks, but I do need a brief rest every now and then.

Salmotrutta Wed 21-Sep-11 23:01:18

My understanding (and I may well be wrong) is that after 4 hours you are entitled to a break of 20 minutes.
But someone who is a union rep or knows more about this may be along in a minute ....

Indaba Wed 21-Sep-11 23:04:23

post in employment
there are strict rules under european working time directive dictacting breaks

megapixie Wed 21-Sep-11 23:29:00

Where I work we are allowed a 15 min break for a 4 hours shift if you want, but nobody takes it. We recently found out that if you don't actually write on your sign in/out sheet you didn't take that 15 min, they take it from your pay anyway!

For 6 hours we get 30 min and 8 hours we get 45 min.

workshy Wed 21-Sep-11 23:31:27

legally you are getting your correct break entitlement, but you are right does seem stingy

most companies offer a 15 min break after 4 hours but this is not a legal requirmenet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now