Talk

Advanced search

To think Waiterose is for posh people?

(221 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 21-Sep-11 21:57:59

I was a bit hmm to see the medium sized Waiterose near me sells 12 types of humus. I take it their regular customers would be upset if there were only 8 types of humus to dip their free range organic corn chips into.

They do have a range of 'budget' products: their "essential" range. It includes humus! I think humus is OK but I'm not entirely sure if it's "essential".

moondog Wed 21-Sep-11 21:59:31

Ridiculous

Like yoghurt aisles.
Who buys this crap like 'Activia' and what have you?
It's yoghurt and flavouring.How many kinds does one need to be wasting one's time perusing? hmm

bringmesunshine2009 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:00:05

Haha! Aspirational rather than posh smile 10 types of deliolive also.

BimboNo5 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:00:10

grin

slavetofilofax Wed 21-Sep-11 22:00:43

Hummus is essential to a hummus addict like me.

I like Waitrose.

I'm not posh, I go there because it's the closest supermarket to my house. I also go to Asda, Sainsburys and Tescos. Morrisons is too far away.

TiggyD Wed 21-Sep-11 22:01:07

They don't do Angel Delight either! shock

AuntieMonica Wed 21-Sep-11 22:01:30

I love Waitrose, I prefer to eat food, not chemicals

<sniffs>

weblette Wed 21-Sep-11 22:01:53

Well Tesco and Sainsbury stock umpteen types of houmous too so I'm not really sure it's the best comparator to use...

celticlassie Wed 21-Sep-11 22:02:30

Apparently you can but '6 everyday champagne flutes'. grin

Kladdkaka Wed 21-Sep-11 22:02:36

I'm not posh, I go there fore the cakes.

Happymm Wed 21-Sep-11 22:03:57

Ooh! I'm posh! grin

<preens self as shops in Waitrose sometimes always>

belledechocchipcookie Wed 21-Sep-11 22:04:00

I love Waitrose. I don't think I'm posh though. confused

ivykaty44 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:04:08

yeah just one type of yogurt and humous in lidl tis all you need grin

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 21-Sep-11 22:05:32

I have been having the occasional Ocado order. They frequently send me 15% off and sometimes up to 25% off codes; working out much cheaper than Tesco!

LadyMary Wed 21-Sep-11 22:05:58

There are some things Twatrose does really well (fresh fish very good, some fruit etc). Most of it is just Asda-quality, ridiculously over packaged. Their deli stuff is foul - oily, full of nasty flavourings, just hideous.

GingerWrath Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:06

I go there for the proper ingredients, I am a cook and need proper ingredients!

Thingumy Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:43

tescos do stupid amounts of different hummus too.

Not getting your point OP.

Do you hummus issues?

vj32 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:47

I love Waitrose cheese/deli counter - they can tell you if everything is vegetarian/pasturised etc. If there is something that isn't available they will rush off out the back to check for you and apologise if it isn't available. They also do the shopping for the old people who go in the store with a shopping list and can't manage it all themselves. I might just be very lucky to have a fab Waitrose though. Its a choice of that or Aldi where I live.

Thingumy Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:51

*have

stripeybump Wed 21-Sep-11 22:07:58

I love Waitrose. They just have whole worlds of interesting variations on food, like instead of bogstandard stuffed pasta you can get spiced butternut and sage or whatever. It feels like backpacking smile

Hassled Wed 21-Sep-11 22:08:05

Humous/hummus/humus Nazis. I have the right to my 12 different kinds of chick-pea based mush. Only today I bought some caramelized onion hummus. It was Sainsburys, but I feel my point is clear.

Wrigglebum Wed 21-Sep-11 22:09:12

Hummus is an essential according to our HV, they are always suggesting I feed it to DS.
I go to Waitrose sometimes as it's one of three shops in walking distance and is cheaper than the Co-op and the Spar.

Thingumy Wed 21-Sep-11 22:10:29

out of all supermarket hummus consumed,I prefer tescos.

<working class>

stripeybump Wed 21-Sep-11 22:11:45

It's true, they literally do only have one type of yoghurt in Lidl grin it's weird plain runny stuff. It's the closest shop to my work so I get that and stock up on flavourings like fruit and vanilla essence to wankify it

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 21-Sep-11 22:12:17

I don't have a choice, my nearest supermarket is Inverness, also dubbed as Tesco Town.
No Asda, Sainsbury or Waitrose, a Morrisons and a very small co op. And about 4 fucking Tescos..
I want choice, I want to see how many types of houmous I can get in Waitrose.
It's not fair, I'm discriminated against as I can't go on an MN thread and discuss the variations of supermarkets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now