Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not know if you can put newspaper down in

(20 Posts)
Springyknickersohnovicars Wed 21-Sep-11 16:31:54

a puppy's cage.

I know that's sad but i don't know if newspaper is safe for them or not and don't want to do anything to hurt the puppy. RSPCA recommend caging them and have blankets etc in the age with water and food but is it ok to cover the base with newspapers or could that hurt the puppy?

dogscatsandbabies Wed 21-Sep-11 16:35:43

Puppy will likely eat the paper if bored but will not do any harm.

VelvetSnow Wed 21-Sep-11 16:38:49

don't know, suggest asking in 'The Doghouse'

but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon enough.

cornsillx Wed 21-Sep-11 16:39:25

I think newspaper is safe.

Stoirin Wed 21-Sep-11 17:15:37

YABU.

And there is a whole section of MN for dog related posts.

GingerWrath Wed 21-Sep-11 17:26:07

Newspaper is fine. But not overly absorbent so puppy might end up wet from standing in his own wee!

Springyknickersohnovicars Wed 21-Sep-11 19:09:52

I did wonder about it soaking up the wee overnight. Dogs section is quiet and wanted some advice before bedtime. I have a few blankets one is already weed on but one wee has happened in the garden. She's lovely and I'm as soft as a brush!

issey6cats Wed 21-Sep-11 19:38:49

you can buy trainer pads for puppies they are similar to the ones you put on toddlers beds to protect mattresses but are designed for pets, i think you get them from pets at home

MardyBra Wed 21-Sep-11 19:42:52

With all due respect, I have hidden the dog section because I don't give a stuff about dog related questions.
Ditto chickens, camping and baby feeding.
YABU.

ChameleonCircuit Wed 21-Sep-11 21:00:30

If you have any of those disposable change mats, they work well, I'm told.

ShowOfHands Wed 21-Sep-11 21:03:32

The dog lovers on MN are exceedingly dedicated and will respond if you post there.

ShowOfHands Wed 21-Sep-11 21:04:31

What sort of pup btw?

BeerTricksPotter Wed 21-Sep-11 21:10:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinot Wed 21-Sep-11 21:10:11

YY the disposable baby change mats are the same thing as puppy pads but half the price. Newspaper won't harm her but she'll get printy feet from standing in the piddle. Make sure to let her out mid-way through the night until about 12 weeks old.

But I'm a sap and have my dog upstairs in my room (and the kittens) I draw the line at DS2's snake though.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 21-Sep-11 21:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabbyChic Wed 21-Sep-11 21:14:07

I kept mine in a huge cage thing for a few weeks when I got him and when I went out to work so he didn't chew things! I put newspaper down on oneside to wee on.

When you train him outside the cage you will then put paper down too.

BigHairyGruffalo Wed 21-Sep-11 21:14:51

Newspaper is fine to line the cage, but you might want something more comfy for the puppy (like the baby change mats or towels previously suggested). Good luck with your new pet!

sugarandspite Wed 21-Sep-11 22:01:48

Rather than paper or training pads which the puppy might chew, buy crate-sized pieces of vet-bed matting. It's nice and cost and if the puppy wees, sort of wicks the wee away to the bottom of the crate whilst staying fairly dry ontop so much nicer for the puppy. You can then just bung in the washing machine.

Kladdkaka Wed 21-Sep-11 22:06:51

The ink on newspapers these days is carcinogenic, which is why they are no longer used for chips. So at a guess, I'd say it depends on whether you think your puppy will eat it or not. I have 2 dogs, one is bugger for scoffing the paper.

dozyrosie Wed 21-Sep-11 22:47:24

My dog eats fox, horse and goose shit and is still fine, if a little smelly. I'm sure newspaper is OK, I doubt they would even eat it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now