Talk

Advanced search

to go to A+E for a scan?

(82 Posts)
ruledbyheart Wed 21-Sep-11 13:23:11

Basically been bleeding (menstrally?) for 5 months and I've lost weight and I'm extremly tired, been to the doctors, the doctor I saw put through an URGENT refferal to hospital for an ultrasound as I keep getting sever pain in right ovary and she seemed very concerned and said appointment would be in a few days at most.

Rang the hospital today as I haven't heard anything and the soonest they can fit me in is october 17th, so I phoned doctor to get transferred to another hospital (I was asked which one I preferred in the first place) and she is on holiday until the end of next week so cant do it.

WIBU to go to the hospital complaining of the pain to get a scan done?
I'm very concerned now and I'm worrying myself sick over it?

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:25:58

Is it getting worse?

YANBU - sounds like you are having to wait far too long! Yes, go to a and e, say you are in pain and hopefully they will be able to get something started!

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 13:27:57

Everyone will probably say YABU but i would and think YANBU -sometimes the worry and stress gets to you and you NEED something to be done with symptoms like you are experiencing. I am a nurse and we often have admissions to the ward from a and e from people fed up waiting with terrible symptoms to finally get a diagnosis and needing treatment (not gynae)

ruledbyheart Wed 21-Sep-11 13:28:21

Yes it's been getting worse since it started 5 months ago and doctors only decided to do some investigating when I started crying because I can't take it any more.

Sirzy Wed 21-Sep-11 13:28:23

Unless its getting much worse all of a sudden then its not really an A and E job. I would go back to your GP and get him to chase it up though

Proudnscary Wed 21-Sep-11 13:28:30

So sorry you are worried, how horrible for you - I would DEF make a nuisance of yourself and try to get earlier scan...but yes if you are in pain and your instincts are screaming at you to get help quicker then go to A&E.

jeee Wed 21-Sep-11 13:30:01

I don't think you are being unreasonable - but I suspect you'll spend hours at A & E before being packed off home to wait for the scan you already have booked. And A & E is hell. I wouldn't do it, unless your symptons are getting worse.

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:30:11

I agree with Sirzy - unless the pain is really bad it's not an A and E job.

animula Wed 21-Sep-11 13:31:15

Unless someone comes on here who is medically trained, I'm not sure a vox Pop on mn is such a good idea.

Can you 'phone back the GP surgery and get either an emergency apptmnt with another doctor or 'phone NHS Direct and put this question to them?

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:31:19

Hope the scan shows nothing sinister OP and you start to feel better soon smile

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:31:58

I am medically trained........................... by Google grin

mamofK Wed 21-Sep-11 13:32:12

You've been bleeding vaginally for five months solid and only got it checked out this week? Are you crazy woman? Get yourself to an A&E IMMEDIATELY. I don't want to scare the bejaysus out of you, but wasn't that Jade Goody's initial symptom which she ignored?

mamofK Wed 21-Sep-11 13:33:11

PS Waiting for a few hours for a scan is better than waiting for a few weeks when it is possibly life-threatening.

gluttom Wed 21-Sep-11 13:33:35

There is probably an emergency gynae scanning service and I bet OP would get a scan and answers - she may have to wait - yes but a day rather than weeks. Some of you on here have funny ideas about A and E rights and wrongs.

sprinkles77 Wed 21-Sep-11 13:33:47

this is not really an A and E job, as it is neither an accident nor an emergency. However YANBU in wanting this dealt with. As a very very cynical ploy, I suggest you go back to your GP (or another one) and say you are worried sick, you can't sleep, it's affecting your quality of life. And maybe tell them you are worried it could be cancer. I know it is a low thing to do, particularly if your GP does not think it is. However, I know from personal experience that when a patient feels the way you do and is starting to worry (even if needlessly) that something sinister is going on, they will be seen very quickly.

Now i'm waiting for a flaming.....

soverylucky Wed 21-Sep-11 13:33:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 21-Sep-11 13:37:12

I'd say "feck it noone's helping" and go to a&e.

AKMD Wed 21-Sep-11 13:38:10

YANBU. People go to A&E for all sorts of stupid reasons, there is no way you would need to feel guilty about a real problem like this, which could well be an emergency. Just take a book and be prepared for a long wait. If you feel that bad about it, call NHS Direct without mentioning past history with GP and I would bet my bottom dollar they would tell you to go to A&E.

ruledbyheart Wed 21-Sep-11 13:38:42

I have been back and forward to doctors for the 5mths and I had a smear and infection test 3mths ago which showed nothing and I have been pushing to get something done, but only this doctor I saw Monday showed any interest.

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 21-Sep-11 13:40:06

I'd say "feck it noone's helping" and go to a&e.

Go go go!

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:40:46

My mum had your symptoms with the menopause so not necessarily anything life threatening, so try not to frighten yourself too much.

mamofK Wed 21-Sep-11 13:40:50

I don't understand - did these medical professionals think that this bleeding was normal? They never scanned you?????? What was their explanation? What age are you? Do you have a coil fitted?

Crosshair Wed 21-Sep-11 13:41:16

Yanbu imo. I would try and get it sorted as soon as possible.

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 13:41:52

I didn't think you could have a smear when you were bleeding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now