Talk

Advanced search

To Think A Man Should Not Be Executed...

(83 Posts)
DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 12:10:21

When there's this much doubt surrounding the case?

(Well, I'm anti-death penalty, regardless... BUT this is ridiculous)

porcamiseria Wed 21-Sep-11 12:13:35

fucking deep south of america, hating hating HATING

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 12:15:44

Elaborate, porcamiseria? grin

winnybella Wed 21-Sep-11 12:16:49

Frankly, I don't even understand why he hasn't been awarded a retrial to either exonarate him or uphold the conviction, let alone why they are going ahead with an execution hmm

winnybella Wed 21-Sep-11 12:17:13

*exonerate

mayorquimby Wed 21-Sep-11 12:18:58

Knew this was going to be the troy davis case.
yanbu absolutely woeful trial and conviction

Whatmeworry Wed 21-Sep-11 12:19:27

It's the Deep South, need we say more......

Tyr Wed 21-Sep-11 12:24:00

YANBU. However, I don't hold much hope that the pleas for clemency will be heeded.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 12:26:35

Tyr, me neither. But we can hope. sad

coccyx Wed 21-Sep-11 12:31:44

awful, so wrong

spookshowangellovesit Wed 21-Sep-11 12:33:05

its appalling 20yrs on death row and now this.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 12:41:41

They've had another man say that another "witness" confessed to him that he was guilty, not Davis. sad

bucaneve Wed 21-Sep-11 12:49:57

<angry at Georgia bump>

SwingingBetty Wed 21-Sep-11 12:51:06

everyone on death row is innocent dontchaknow

just read the deathrow penpals pages, not one of them did it

mayorquimby Wed 21-Sep-11 13:00:53

Yeah but in this case the conviction looks shambollic at best.

NinkyNonker Wed 21-Sep-11 13:03:18

This is why no civilised country should have the death penalty.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 13:04:10

SwingingBetty, just take a look at the page. There are witnesses retracting their statements. There is no physical evidence to say he pulled the trigger. One witness was told that if he didn't say Troy pulled the trigger, he'd be charged as an accomplice. Cole Redd's Bil has said, in court, that Cole confessed to the murder.

porcamiseria Wed 21-Sep-11 13:06:35

deep south had segregation as recently as the 60s, as we all know, still have mixed raced proms

the redneck riviera

lambethlil Wed 21-Sep-11 13:14:23

A man should not be executed..

Ever.

No exceptions- no death penalty, no irrevocable mistakes.

wannaBe Wed 21-Sep-11 13:17:42

oh yes, they're all innocent. hmm

Just so happens he was beating an innocent man around the head with the gun that was used to kill the police officer at the time.

Hardly a poor little victim is he.

I have mixed views on the death penalty but:

A, if you murder someone in a country where the punishment is the death penalty then you do so knowing that if you're caught you might be put to death. Occupational hazzard n all that.

B, it is not our place IMO to get involved in the justice processes in other countries, we wouldn't welcome the same here so why is this any different.

He was found guilty. He has had twenty years to prove his innocence - he hasn't.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 21-Sep-11 13:25:18

WannaBe, the partner of the man being beaten at the time has stated that Troy was not the man assaulting her partner, but Cole Redds was. Troy has been trying to prove his innocence. Witnesses have withdrawn their statements, admitted they were coerced by the police and given statements they couldn't read due to illiteracy.

heleninahandcart Wed 21-Sep-11 13:53:57

WannaBe you have completely missed the context of this case. US Deep South, evidence does not support the allegations etc.

Naive at best

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 21-Sep-11 13:57:39

If there is irrefutable proof, then maybe. If there is ANY doubt, then absolutely not!

Feminine Wed 21-Sep-11 14:00:07

Earlier in the month, Texas also executed a man who didn't commit the actual murder...another man did, and he got off (with life) The executed man was convicted under an old fashioned law of having been at the crime scene.confused

The executed man actually ran away from the scene as he was scared.

Not the only,but one of the reasons I am leaving the US ...TOO many innocents are executed each year angry and too many people blindly support the system.

Angel786 Wed 21-Sep-11 14:11:13

I spent some ti e in the south defending death row inmates. The number of coerced confessions, mentally I'll people taken advantage of and those later exonerated speaks volumes. This guy was the youngest on death row at one point, later released. here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now