Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not allow my DS(12) Mountain Dew or Red Bull

(29 Posts)
bonkers20 Wed 21-Sep-11 09:15:51

He is begging me to be allowed a bottle of the stuff to take on an overnight Scout hike.

I have vague notions of it being massively high in caffeine but as well as that I just feel uncomfortable with him wanting to have these "cool" drinks.

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 21-Sep-11 09:17:37

Just let him have it. One bottle. Otherwise you'll make it even more desirable than he already thinks it is. Both are disgusting but he needs to find that out for himself.

aldiwhore Wed 21-Sep-11 09:18:26

Red Bull is vile stuff, but I love it. Not heard of Mountain Dew.

When I was 12 I was into Purdys....

cantspel Wed 21-Sep-11 09:19:36

let him have one bottle of Mountain dew. It wont do any harm and hopefully he wont like the taste.

borderslass Wed 21-Sep-11 09:20:17

I know some shops wont sell energy drinks to under 16s so YANBU.

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 21-Sep-11 09:21:26

Mountain Dew looks like phosphorescent irradiated goat's piss and funnily enough it tastes exactly as I would imagine that to taste!

Pagwatch Wed 21-Sep-11 09:22:10

If you don't want him to have it just say no.

Don't buy him stuff you don't want him to have because he may just get hold of it anyway. If you start parenting according to compromising your choices because otherwise he will do it anyway, you might as well just give up.

You are the parent. He is the child.

cantspel Wed 21-Sep-11 09:22:21

Our local poundstreatcher refused to sell a bottle of Ben Shaw shandy to my 13 year old but allowed him to buy a tin of red bull instead.

featherbag Wed 21-Sep-11 09:22:48

No way on god's earth would I let a 12yo have a high caffeine drink, I certainly wouldn't be buying it! I don't think under 16s should be able to buy it, it can be very bad for the heart, especially an adolescent one!

Tanif Wed 21-Sep-11 09:23:40

Mmmm Mountain Dew... Get him it but get him the proper american stuff, it tastes far nicer. The British stuff they're putting on the shelves just tastes of sweeteners and I'm pretty certain no liquid that you ingest should ever be that colour.

MsGee Wed 21-Sep-11 09:24:50

I would avoid the Red Bull - don't know about Moutain Dew. I am a hardened caffeine nut and it still sends me a bit loopy.

bonkers20 Wed 21-Sep-11 09:28:42

Can someone point me to some facts which say it's bad for children?

I would like to back up my "no" with good reasons. I think he deserves that at his age.

I haven't decided yet though, it seems opinion is divided.

Thanks.

pleasekeepcalmandcarryon Wed 21-Sep-11 09:28:43

My husband likes these drinks as does DS1 (10). DS isn't technically allowed them but has been known to sneak his dad's or buy with pocket money. Both have ADHD and I have been told that people with this condition can actually find them helpful regarding concentration (as opposed to going on a loopy caffeine high). I often wonder if this is why they like them so much.

MiseryBusiness Wed 21-Sep-11 09:31:28

Mountain Dew is banned in a lot of places as it can be addictive. I hate redbull myself and I wouldnt let kids drink it but I guess the more you say no the more they want to drink it.

borderslass Wed 21-Sep-11 09:32:07

heres one article lots more online

GnomeDePlume Wed 21-Sep-11 09:32:59

As a one off for an overnight hike then I wouldnt have a problem with it. However I would be explaining that it is to keep you going so not to take a slug of it prior to settling down for a nap.

It is when it is used regularly that I think it is a problem.

Maryz Wed 21-Sep-11 09:34:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TiggyD Wed 21-Sep-11 09:40:09

Lucozade sport is the drink he'll need. The raspberry one is divine.

itisnearlysummer Wed 21-Sep-11 09:42:28

And lots of kendal mint cake!

At least that's what mines taking on his hike in a few weeks

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 21-Sep-11 11:23:58

I wouldn't. It's terrible stuff. I'd be explaining that it is very high in caffeine, very high in sugar, and is addictive. Give him KM cake, or lucozade. He will get the same sugar rush without the caffeine if he needs an energy boost. I'd also be explaining about blood sugar spikes and their after effects. Carbs or protein are much better ways of providing energy than red bull.

belledechocchipcookie Wed 21-Sep-11 11:27:41

IIRC, Red Bull is banned in France. I wouldn't want my son to drink any of these, cola is his limit.

bonkers20 Wed 21-Sep-11 22:25:27

Well, I read up about it and talked about it with DH and we've decided that DS won't be having it. I explained it to him (the levels of caffeine, the immense high and then low he might get), but also said that I was sure one bottle wouldn't harm him. I don't want him to think we're hysterical.

As I said earlier, it's not just the physical effect, it's him thinking it's a cool thing to do. In a few years, the issue will be with alcohol and I want him to make sensible choices then, not just do what's cool.

We've said he can have a Sports drink (Lucozade) and he asked for a bag of Skittles...which we agreed to!

Sirzy Wed 21-Sep-11 22:28:33

I am glad you made that decision!

I love the stuff but have had to stop myself having it, if I have more than one can then it has the desired effect at the time but 24 hours has a massive effect on my mood and I end up really miserable and cranky

Wrigglebum Wed 21-Sep-11 22:47:44

A can of redbull actually has less caffeine than an average mug of filter or instant coffee (80mg vs 100-150 mg and some takeaway coffees have over 200mg) it's just hype really rather than anything. I think it works out ever so slightly more than a cup of tea (you know, like some people have to help them sleep).

One can in a blue moon isn't too bad but the problem is that some people will drink two or three on the trot.

Wrigglebum Wed 21-Sep-11 22:52:49

FWIW I probably won't let my DS have it when he's 12 if he carries on being as hyper as he is now! I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine and only have 1-2 cokes in a day, no tea or coffee as otherwise I get the shakes!

You know your son best (how is he with cola/tea/coffee if he ever has it?) just wanted to state the facts as redbull pretty hyped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now