Talk

Advanced search

Step Mum coming to bday party

(25 Posts)
whatever17 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:55:22

Ex-DH and I have been split up for 10 years, SM has been on the scene for 8 years. It is our DS2's 12th bday party this sat. I asked xdh whether we could go together. My reasoning was that we have to take x amount of kids and could take an extra one in his car. he said no way, she is part of the family. i said to exh - i feel like an idiot - we are going paintballing - me and her will be sitting there reading books whilst everyone is p/balling.

exh said tough shit - get on with it.

she is a nice woman but - fuxake - i feel like The Broons

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:57:57

Sorry but that's a pretty crap reason to exclude her grin

You'll just have to suck it up and just think...you've got her 18th, 21st and perhaps a wedding to get through in the future.

This'll be a walk in the park wink

squeakytoy Tue 20-Sep-11 22:58:35

YABU, she is a part of his, and your childrens family. Why should she be excluded?

Kayano Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:49

I would be foaming if my DHs ex wanted to do something with just him when I had been with him for 8 years tbh.

CompleteMug Tue 20-Sep-11 22:59:54

YABU OP.
You're setting a shite example for your kids.

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 23:06:37

YABU; it's a bit mean to leave her out. I assume you talk to her normally so why shouldn't she come along and hang out with you?

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Tue 20-Sep-11 23:14:09

Why don't you all do paintballing and you can have the pleasure of shooting her ?

missmogwi Tue 20-Sep-11 23:15:10

See I think you will have to suck it up for your DS sake. Do you get on ok? You might get on like a house on fire you never know.grin

My exp new wife is an absolute mentalist and was the OW so she wouldn't come to anything I was at. So I'm saved from this situation forever. <smug>

workshy Tue 20-Sep-11 23:16:57

does your daughter want her there?

only question I would be asking

pigletmania Tue 20-Sep-11 23:17:31

YABVU she is your dh wife so why should she be left out unless there is a good legitimate reason.

CointreauVersial Tue 20-Sep-11 23:18:46

Make friends with her.

Go on, try it.

She'll be part of your life (via your kids) for many years to come.

My mum and stepmum are always great to each other and it improved my childhood no end having none of that awful tension most stepfamilies seem to endure.

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 23:22:23

I don't get the logistics anyway.

Why can't your Ex take his DW and the extra kid in his car?

mynewpassion Wed 21-Sep-11 02:41:10

Agree with your ex. Tough shit, she's part of the family, and get on with it.

moreyear Wed 21-Sep-11 05:40:00

YABU to assume that you and exh could go as a 'family' and exclude SM- but if it is any consolation I am sure she is feeling as apprehensive as you.

porcamiseria Wed 21-Sep-11 09:42:42

yabu

mamofK Wed 21-Sep-11 09:44:47

why don't you go paintballing too? problem solved, and you'll get to work off some of your anger!

pictish Wed 21-Sep-11 09:44:49

yabu, yes

hayleysd Wed 21-Sep-11 09:45:59

Yabu and I would have been really annoyed too if I had been there for 8 years and you tried to go as a family! Just take 2 cars then you can fit even more kids in!

ConstanceNoring Wed 21-Sep-11 09:52:17

I think it's very unreasonable of you to ask this, you are making a 'thing' of it and it doesn't need to be. You should all be happy that DS is comfortable for everyone to be there, you've got this far - he's 12, - don't let him see that you think you should be going with your exH and not her, not fair on him.

spookshowangellovesit Wed 21-Sep-11 09:52:46

i was ready to come on here as a soon to be official sm and say god i would never expect to go to sd birthday party expecting her to be like 5. mostly also because dp ex seems to hate me with the fire of a million suns. but in this case i think you are wrong. if the party was at your house fair play but, 8 years comes on, time to suck it up. go paint balling with them if you want to avoid chit chat thats what i would do.

fedupofnamechanging Wed 21-Sep-11 10:03:37

Even if it was at your house, it would be rude to exclude her, unless she was the OW (which she isn't).

deaconblue Wed 21-Sep-11 11:53:27

why are you bothered about someone who wasn't the cause of your marriage break up?

ionysis Wed 21-Sep-11 12:54:24

Totally unreasonable. She is married to your ex and whether you like it or not a parental figure in your child's life. Grow up.

Marymaryalittlecontrary Wed 21-Sep-11 14:16:18

My mum is stepmum to my dad's 2 oldest kids. As a child I remember going to a few events such as siblings' engagement parties, and all of us sitting at the same table as my dad's ex and her new husband. My mum was never excluded as far as I am aware and the 2 women just got on together because that's what adults do. They were never best friends but were always able to make polite chit chat. Consequently my half siblings have always had good relationships with their mum and mine, and still see mine regularly even though our dad died 3 years ago.

But, if your ex literally said 'tough shit' etc then he was unreasonable to put it like that. He could easily have said, "my wife is coming too but we can easily fit another child in the car too."

whatever17 Sat 24-Sep-11 23:54:32

I took all of your advice on board - we went to the paintballing party today. She isn't his wife. She is a very nice woman - but what fucks me off is that she has added 3 years onto their relationship which would mean that they were together whilst we were together.

Which genuinely isn't true - he didn't meet her until after we had been split up for 1.5 years. I know it sounds weird, but by her reckoning they met whilst I was giving birth to our son. I genuinely remember him meeting her. We were in my house today and she said "that is such a sweet photo" I said "I know, that is when we (me and ex-DH took DS to blah blah for his 3rd bday" I could see she was puzzled - I said "you hadn't met him then - DC was 3.5 when you met ex-DH".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now