Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that school should...

(16 Posts)
ChameleonCircuit Tue 20-Sep-11 22:06:25

...provide something for the children to do their homework on?

They get their homework (usually photocopied sheets) in a thin plastic folder, but they have not been given a book or similar to actually do the work on. We've been having to provide paper, as there's no room on the actual sheets to put any answers.

AIBU to expect school to provide a homework book?

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 22:07:54

YANBU. Are you sure your DC hasn't 'lost' the homework book? Otherwise it's a bit odd and I would ask for one.

ChameleonCircuit Tue 20-Sep-11 22:12:22

No - not lost. Have asked a couple of my friends with DC in the same class and they are as [sceptical] as me.

ChameleonCircuit Tue 20-Sep-11 22:12:56

Bugger - I meant hmm

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:14:29

Just buy a pack from the pound shop

rhondajean Tue 20-Sep-11 22:15:31

Itll be the budget cutbacks.

I know a lot of teachers and one of them was telling me the other day that they cant give the children worksheets to write on because of the cost of photocopying now, they have to collect them back in at the end of each lesson.

TeamEdward Tue 20-Sep-11 22:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

penguin73 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:23:40

Ditto Team Edward - one of the first lessons I learned in teaching was not to allow books home if you ever want to see them again. I always offer paper but it is invariably refused/lost/left on the desk, most pupils prefer to write on the back of the sheet or can provide paper themselves.

ChameleonCircuit Tue 20-Sep-11 22:53:49

The thing with writing on the back of the sheet is that you have to keep flipping it over to refer to it. Ho hum ... I guess that's me off to get some A4 pads.

Thanks all.

wicketkeeper Wed 21-Sep-11 09:21:00

Get real. In the UK pretty much everything is provided. In many countries (and I'm thinking Ireland in particular) all copies (exercise books) are bought by the parents. For every subject. Find a piece of paper, and use it, it's not difficult.

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 21-Sep-11 09:23:38

Are you serious OP? Just get to the pound shop like worra says and when you get back perhaps you could do a bit of work on that sense of entitlement you have. God alone knows why everyone thinks everyone else should provide stuff for them.

Maryz Wed 21-Sep-11 09:32:18

Gawd, we have to buy all the books and copies and paper and stationery (including art supplies) for our children shock.

And then we have the pleasure of paying an extra 50 quid a year towards "photocopying".

By a couple of A4 pads, unless you really can't afford them.

aldiwhore Wed 21-Sep-11 09:36:55

My eldest has got a homework book for the first time ever, but I've been buying packs of 5 exercise books from Poundland until now.

Zimm Wed 21-Sep-11 09:55:40

What is it with AIBU this morning? It's full of petty woes! YABU.

redskyatnight Wed 21-Sep-11 10:13:53

Unless it's a worksheet to be filled in, we've always provided our own paper. Never thought this was odd tbh. We also provide pencils to write the answers, rulers to draw lines and computer to do internet research. grin

ll31 Wed 21-Sep-11 12:06:02

in Ireland - u pay for all books copies etc plus additional 70 euros for photocopying etc . plus 80 for complulsory swimming classes during school, plus continual requests for 200 voluntary contribution etc etc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now