Talk

Advanced search

to think wtf ? .why is the school asking for 2 ltr fizzy drink bottles .....?

(78 Posts)
droves Tue 20-Sep-11 21:59:20

... when they are promoting "healthy eating" and have banned fizzy drinks in school .

Its a bit hypocritical of them .

Now , aside from being a bit confused . . . It feels like im being blackmailed into buying fizzy drinks , as my twins will be the only kids <or a in a few> who dont bring in a stupid plastic bottle.

I dont allow twins fizzy drinks <cant stop teens buying the tooth rotting muck , but at least with the wee ones i have some control >.

The school are being "enviromental " and building a "greenhouse" from bottles.

Got to laugh at the letters for drinks bottles being handed out the same time as child-smile letters !

Mabey i should just tell the dentists wink.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 20-Sep-11 22:00:05

get a couple of bottles of value water from tesco - around 25p each?

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 22:00:25

YABU they would probably be shocked beyond words that you thought of fizzy pop rather than carbonated water. Disgraceful.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Tue 20-Sep-11 22:01:00

Buy water bottles - doesn't have to be fizzy, sugar-laden stuff

Sirzy Tue 20-Sep-11 22:01:09

Just because the children dont drink them (although I bet a lot do at home) doesn't mean the parents - or even neighbours, relatives etc - don't have them which they are willing to send in.

troisgarcons Tue 20-Sep-11 22:01:18

you mean they are asking for 2 litre bottles?

O M G "Shock Horror" feckwits buy water in those too

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:02:08

Blackmailed into buy fizzy drinks Lol?

The school promotes healthy eating and as part of any healthy diet, a fizzy drink now and then is absolutely fine.

Grrrrr when will this hysteria end angry

<Breathes into low fat crisp packet>

AuntiePickleBottom Tue 20-Sep-11 22:02:29

buy cheap lemonade, as tip it over flower...the sugar is good for them

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 22:03:18

Fizzy drinks aren't an essential vitamin/mineral/component of a healthy diet worral hmm

VivaLeBeaver Tue 20-Sep-11 22:03:54

Yabu.

Most schools don't allow fizzy drinks. I limit them at home as dd goes a bit wild. However I knock back diet coke like it's going out of fashion, no calories and no sugar. I think these greenhouses are fab and will help the kids be able to grow stuff. They work really well.

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:04:07

AKMD Did I say it was? hmm

aldiwhore Tue 20-Sep-11 22:04:16

Wtf??? That is all.

Buy the damn fizz, chuck it and provide homes for insects without complaint I say (but do peel the label off... insects are sensitive to advertising).

rhondajean Tue 20-Sep-11 22:04:56

Ive got loads of empty 2litre water bottles I could post you?

itisnearlysummer Tue 20-Sep-11 22:05:12

No, but they can be consumed as part of a healthy diet without any long lasting detrimental effects.

Buy asda smart price lemonade or something. It's about 15p a bottle or something.

Harecare Tue 20-Sep-11 22:05:20

YABU. If you don't have them you don't have them. If you do, it is a good way of reusing the bottles. There will be families who have 2 litre bottles of water/fizzy drink etc, so they can bring them in. There will be others who have them, but can't be bothered and then there may just be a few others shock --horror- who also don't have fizzy drink bottles.

Harecare Tue 20-Sep-11 22:05:39

horror

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:06:44

Exactly summer

The world's gone mad because some people just can't get their head around the idea of all things in moderation etc...

It's the kids I feel sorry for.

hairylights Tue 20-Sep-11 22:07:58

These greenhouses are great! we make them at work. People consume the drinks anyway

cat64 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:23:21

Message withdrawn

limetrees Tue 20-Sep-11 22:28:21

I would just buy a cheap value bottle and chuck the contents down the sink so that your DC can have a bottle just like everyone else.

JockTamsonsBairns Tue 20-Sep-11 22:28:49

Ffs, what is going on here? You are not being blackmailed into making your dc's drink fizzy juice. Nothing awful has happened here, you are in a tizz about absolutely nothing. In the grander scheme of things, this is but minutiae, seriously.
Either;
1) Buy a bottle of water and use that,
2) Buy a bottle of fizzy stuff, tip it down the sink and use that
3) Don't bother providing anything, safe in the knowledge you haven't been blackmailed, or
4) Write in complaint to the Chair of Governors and/or the LEA.

The world's gone bloody mad.

thesortinghat Tue 20-Sep-11 22:30:30

Oh no, it's a slippery slope. They'll be asking for shoe boxes and wrapping paper next. I'd think about transferring them ASAP

Maisiethemorningsidecat Tue 20-Sep-11 22:33:13

Shoes? Shoes??? I hope to bloody hell that they've been ethically sourced and fairly traded - although preferably hand made 1.5 miles up the road.

Shoes are made by children in sweatshops - everyone knows that. Schools shouldn't be seen to support this industry angry

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 20-Sep-11 22:36:28

Mine have to take in a Pringles tube to make a rocket. This means that we have to eat 2 tubes of Pringles. Ooh the hardship.

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 22:39:59

I'm hoping mine will be making a charity blanket out of Greggs paper bags...all sewn together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now