Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that builders are recharging their mobiles and using the toaster!

(100 Posts)
chocolatekimmy Tue 20-Sep-11 21:46:39

I woudn't mind but one of the guys plugged his mobile in as soon as he arrived, before I had even left the house.
The other day the toaster (in the front room at moment) was left plugged in.

What a bloody cheek - they could at least cover there tracks and be more discreet

FabbyChic Tue 20-Sep-11 21:47:30

I see no reason to concern yourself about a mobile being plugged in, using the toaster however is taking the piss.

lockets Tue 20-Sep-11 21:49:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyWalker Tue 20-Sep-11 21:49:42

YABU - I can't see a problem with either tbh.

Mightimama Tue 20-Sep-11 21:50:37

YANBU I think thats very cheeky - they are providing the service to you, not the other way about. Deduct something from the payment you are giving them for your electricity bill grin

FagAshLill Tue 20-Sep-11 21:50:56

Agree with Kitty - I cant see the problem with it either although I would have asked first TBH.

Springyknickersohnovicars Tue 20-Sep-11 21:52:32

Be nice to your builder they have your home in their hands.

unpa1dcar3r Tue 20-Sep-11 21:53:45

Blimey any workmen coming here must be made up; I make them sandwiches, cakes and all sorts and/or leave them to help themselves to tea/coffee, whatever they want. Probably why they always charge me a fair and lower rate than they might someone else; cos I'm nice to them!
Pretty trivial really to get worried about something like this. Just my opinion.

cestlavielife Tue 20-Sep-11 21:54:53

In the scheme of things it not going to cost that much and being friendly to builders could mean better service

KurriKurri Tue 20-Sep-11 21:55:16

Can't see any problem at all, I'd have offered them access to the toaster, kettle, whatever. Don't have a problem with people recharging their mobiles either. confused

alemci Tue 20-Sep-11 21:56:06

yes I would be nice to them. They do have a habit of wandering off so make them want to keep coming

EverythingsNotRosie Tue 20-Sep-11 22:09:26

I charge my phone at work. And I use the toaster. It's really not costing you that much. YABU!

squeakytoy Tue 20-Sep-11 22:10:28

YABU unless they were using your bread ....

cat64 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:12:59

Message withdrawn

buzzskillington Tue 20-Sep-11 22:13:08

If they're good builders you'd be a twat to complain about this.

Yabu and petty.

Builders chez cheese get naice biscuits, bacon butties, iced drinks and cans of lucozade as and when required.

SansaLannister Tue 20-Sep-11 22:14:21

At least they don't leave skidmarks in your loo.

limetrees Tue 20-Sep-11 22:16:09

Recharging the phone is OK IMO.

Using the toaster is rude and I don't think people generally expect builders to do that. It's not really the cost of the electricity, it's the use of stuff that doesn't belong to them without asking.

Meglet Tue 20-Sep-11 22:17:13

yabu!

You're shelling out £££££ building work and begrudge them a chance to charge their phones and fill themselves up with toast. What will that electric cost you, a few quid.

I'm the nice chocolate biscuit queen when I have tradesmen round, no crap stuff.

sincitylover Tue 20-Sep-11 22:17:28

it wouldn't bother me at all

FranSanDisco Tue 20-Sep-11 22:19:55

Tight wad!

CointreauVersial Tue 20-Sep-11 22:22:53

I found a copy of The Sun and an empty coffee cup in my bathroom after the builders had been in recently.

I mean, I know they have to take a crap, but I didn't really need it brought to my attention quite so much!

sand12 Tue 20-Sep-11 22:24:35

It wouldn't bother me I would make the tex and toast for them.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 20-Sep-11 22:26:02

I didn't mind our builders charging their mobile phones. The bit that bothered me was that we left our charger plugged in a fairly hidden spot (away from dd who was an inquisitive baby, not away from the builders!)

One of them came into the living room (where they weren't working) took the charger hmm and didn't mention it. Dh and I had a bit of a confused row about which one of us had moved it. Sheepishly the builder knocked on the door and returned it!

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 20-Sep-11 22:27:31

Oh and one of them used to take a fork out of the cutlery drawer, make his pot noodle and leave the fork for me to wash up! That made me laugh actually.

Another time dh came home early, and was offered a cup of tea by the plumber's apprentice. He thanked him nicely, then introduced himself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now