Talk

Advanced search

to stress over DH's work outburst?

(9 Posts)
CompleteMug Tue 20-Sep-11 17:20:24

DH has just come home from a department meeting (he's a civil servant) during which he had a heated rant about a colleague from a different division. He said he was "sly and devious troll who had the potential to be very dangerous". Quote.

He very rarely loses his cool, but this one was said infront of so many people who could report DH's words. What's the worst that can happen? Since this colleage is a bit of a troll who loves a bit of drama, DH is wondering whether any legal action can become of his rant. confused

figgygal Tue 20-Sep-11 17:50:57

Legal action probably not disciplinary action by employer or a formal complaint from the colleague possible. If that happens best for him to be contrite and accept his comments were inappropriate (even of he doesn't think he was) otherwise likely making it worse for himself.

BUT it might go nowhere so wouldn't worry too much OP

CompleteMug Tue 20-Sep-11 19:10:53

Thanks figgygal
I appreciate your help. He hates admitting he's messed up but he knows he's going to have to swallow a bit of humble pie with this one which is a shame because this colleague oh his is a bit of a wanker
Thanks again smile

CaymansBound Tue 20-Sep-11 19:17:10

What evidence does he have to back it up? Has your DH ever made any complaints about quality/timeliness of colleague's work? How does this person's work/actions/behaviour affect DH's work?

Legal action would be slander (spoken version of libel) but it is a civil action and the colleague would not get legal aid for it so would have to fund it themselves so very very unlikely so I would put that to one side and not worry about that for the moment.

Much more likely to be dealt with within work, but as I've said in first para - athough words like troll do not help (!) what evidence does DH have that this person is devious and sly? If they are lying about their work or getting people into trouble at work DH needs to back it up if asked. That's would I'd be thinking about if I was in DH's position so if there is comeback on this, DH can (partially) defend his position.

If the person has a reputation for being sly and devious tbh other colleagues who heard this are going to be unlikely to report, they are just going to be thinking, yes s/he is.

Stiff brandy and discuss together the actual events/incidents that have led to DH saying this and what evidence he has to back this up.

troisgarcons Tue 20-Sep-11 19:24:28

is the collegue short and hairy?

CompleteMug Wed 21-Sep-11 06:10:20

grin According to DH, he is.

amistillsexy Wed 21-Sep-11 06:18:15

Some excellent advice posted already, OP.
I'm a bit concerned about your DH acting out of character and 'losing it' in the way he did, at work. Is he under a lot of stress? It sounds like this might be a warning for him and he might need to start looking after his stress levels a bit more.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 21-Sep-11 06:28:29

Nothing major will happen. Human beings are allowed to lose their temper from time to time.

CompleteMug Wed 21-Sep-11 07:07:47

Thanks for the reassurance Cogito smile. That's it in a nutshell really. And there is a root to this outburst too.

amistillsexy thank you. Perhaps I was a bit flippant saying 'losing it'; it was actually a feeling that had stuck in his gut over a period of time. Person involved had acted according to regulations but was really out of order in doing so. They knew that they were being underhand even if they couldn't have been pulled up on it. My DH works fairly and by the book, and was angry about this particular incident whilst being able to do nothing about it. It was a one-off rant. He'd probably have said exactly the same should the person have been in this meeting. Thanks for your post though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now