Talk

Advanced search

bloody rubberneckers watching someone dying in the road

(10 Posts)
tittybangbang Tue 20-Sep-11 14:00:16

... walking to school this morning and 10 yards from my house was a very large middle aged man lying unconscious in the road, halfway between two parked cars. Head was being cradled by middle age woman and another man standing next to them on the phone - I assumed to paramedics.

I had 5 small children with me so just hurried them on past. At school one of the mum asked me what was going on in my road as it was full of police and ambulances.

Half an hour later I'm back from the school run and the pavements are awash with my neighbours watching paramedics doing CPR on the now shirtless man in the middle of the road. They'd been doing it for at least 20 minutes apparently. They must have arrived just after I'd walked past with kids.

What is wrong with people standing watching someone probably dying in public?

I'm also feeling guilty that I didn't stop and try to help. If someone had done CPR on the man straight away he might have been ok. I didn't stop because of all the children, but I'm now wishing I'd done something, even if it was to suggest to the woman or the man there that they try to see if the man had a pulse.....

sad
sad
sad

StuckUpTheFarawayTree Tue 20-Sep-11 14:01:49

Poor man. How rude and disrespectful.

BimboNo5 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:02:15

Poor man, some people have no sense of dignity.

lisad123 Tue 20-Sep-11 14:02:39

It drives me mad, had same when I had major car crash and was being pit on a spinal board and every car slowed to get a look, just glad I was wearing knickers grin

Poor man, and you couldn't have done anything sad

itisnearlysummer Tue 20-Sep-11 14:04:21

Don't feel guilty. You had 5 children with you, all of whom needed to get your yours and what the situation didn't need was 5 children getting bored and in the way.

Some people are rude and incredibly disrespectful.

itisnearlysummer Tue 20-Sep-11 14:04:52

school not yours

fanjobanjowanjo Tue 20-Sep-11 14:05:42

Maybe all those people had the same thought as you and had stopped to see if they could help? I do understand what you mean though.

tittybangbang Tue 20-Sep-11 14:05:57

My asd ds probably would have tried to get involved if I'd attempted chest compressions. He's obsessed with paramedics and ambulances...... <shudder>

tittybangbang Tue 20-Sep-11 14:06:50

They weren't close enough to help. They were standing around in their vests and dressing gowns, leaning on their gates.....

SnakeOnCrack Tue 20-Sep-11 14:18:42

Oh I've seen this, I came out of the tube once and saw a crowd of people (about 30 I'd say) on the pavement by the road, thought it a bit odd and then noticed an ambulance. When I crossed the road I could see a girl had been knocked off her bike and was lying in the road. All these people were just standing there staring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now