Talk

Advanced search

to expect the broadsheets to be able to spell the name of a country, namely Colombia, correctly

(16 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 12:17:17

The Telegraph has just published "Columbia", I have complained to the Independent before now for doing the same, as does the BBC - it is just wrong ....

goes off pondering at what point I turned into Victoria Meldrew

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 20-Sep-11 12:19:16

YANBU

However, are you absolutely sure there are not two ways of spelling "COLUMBIA"! grin

WowOoo Tue 20-Sep-11 12:20:34

Are you sure it's referring to the S.American country and not the capital of South Carolina in US?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 20-Sep-11 12:25:29

Baby, are you checking now to see which "Columbia" it is!

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 20-Sep-11 12:27:19

coz I can't stop sniggering at the thought that you have flounced off a stroppy e-mail to the Telegraph but are actually talking about a different place. Honestly my shoulders are shaking grin

Sort of thing I normally do.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 20-Sep-11 12:34:24

Yanbu.
I assume you are referring to the Dimbleby piece?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 20-Sep-11 12:36:22

linky?

limitedperiodonly Tue 20-Sep-11 12:40:14

Ahh, the Dimbleby piece. I've checked. It is about South America.

I skipped it because it's by Bryony Gordon and spelling mistakes are possibly her least irritating trait.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 20-Sep-11 12:42:55

I like the way it now seems as though I have read the Dimbleby piece.
I haven't, just did a search so could mock the op if she was wrong support the op.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 20-Sep-11 12:43:47

Link here

limitedperiodonly Tue 20-Sep-11 12:47:53

I read the Dimbleby piece so you lot don't have to. It's very dull. I can confirm the spelling mistake.

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 12:47:57

I am absolutely positive the article was about the country and not a state of the USA .....and I am even more positive that they are not spelt the same way!!!

I have indeed sent a flouncy email to them which ends with "E for effort ..." grin

ClevelandAnnie Tue 20-Sep-11 12:51:16

YANBU. They should know better.

They probably don't employ any sub-editors anymore. This is the result.

TheLaineyWayIsEssex Tue 20-Sep-11 12:55:20

grin

pleasekeepcalmandcarryon Tue 20-Sep-11 13:15:52

Saturday nights BBC advertising at one point flashed up Doctor Who as Docotor Who which gave me a confused moment.

Guess they have axed the proof readers for budget savings.

WowOoo Tue 20-Sep-11 13:48:21

Have seen article now. Very poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now