Talk

Advanced search

To think they are lying

(182 Posts)
Fairyloo Tue 20-Sep-11 09:38:12

Just read article about being a busy working mum (on back of new SJP film) won't in article are saying that they haven't had a uninterruped phonecall for years? And not had full nights sleep for years nor a bath!

Now I'm busy and tired but still manage a bath a full night sleep and an uninterrupted phone call.

Do you? Or is it really that busy

AKMD Tue 20-Sep-11 09:39:52

How many children did she have? Any SN? Unless she has six under-fives or something else going on out of the ordinary I think you're probably right.

fustyarse Tue 20-Sep-11 09:40:27

I don't think I've had a proper full night's sleep since before I was pregnant with dc1, 8 years ago

I rarely get to have a bath without a small person wanting to get in with me

I get uninterrupted phone calls only if all 3 dc are asleep/out

so no, I don't think she's lying. Maybe slightly exaggerating, if anything

2blessed2bstressed Tue 20-Sep-11 09:42:33

What rubbish! Or ....what rubbish parenting that you pander to your child to the extent that they think its acceptable to interrupt you to that extent. Babies, yes, but once your child is, say 3, you should be able to manage to fit a phonecall in, surely.

pictish Tue 20-Sep-11 09:44:02

She exaggerating, certainly.

Witchofthenorth Tue 20-Sep-11 09:45:10

I can most nights get a full nights sleep, so long as DD2 doesn't have a nightmare. As for baths, I gave up on them a long time ago, 5minute shower now, baths are reserved for when nobody else is home. Phone calls? I could go an hour with out the kids needing something from me, as soon as that phone is at my ear.........muuuuuuuuummmmm tell her, mummmm can I get juice, muuuuuuuuummmmm he is annoying me etc etc.

Lying? No. Embellishing the truth? Perhaps. FWIW my kids are 8, 6 and 3.

Atwaroverscrabble Tue 20-Sep-11 09:45:27

The sleep thing i can understand because once you have kids you never fully go deep into sleep and dh's snoring wake me up... But...

I bathe once the kids are in bed, always have done so that may well be 8/9/10/11pm but its uninterupted... Even when dd was wakibg every 2 hours...

Phone calls! Meh.... I only do short calls anyway and important ones i leave for when naps are in progress....

Yes motherhood is hard, juggling work and motherhood is bloody hard but you work around it all....

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 20-Sep-11 09:46:25

Surely? Does that mean you've tried it yourself, or not?

Fwiw I haven't had a full night's sleep since ds1 was born 8 years ago, I've had about two baths a year, (unless you count the ones where they both climb in and I have to get out, or someone injures someone else pointlessly within two minutes of my announcing I am having a bath so I have to get out)

and phone calls? Forget it, unless yes they are actually OUT with other people or possibly asleep and this never happens at the important moment when the phone call needs to be had.

Maybe the fact I'm not married or living with someone comes into it but yes to me this is totally plausible.

Riveninabingle Tue 20-Sep-11 09:46:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Atwaroverscrabble Tue 20-Sep-11 09:47:57

Oh and the kids here are 16, 12 and 22 months... DH IS 41 grin and i have juggled high powered jobs alongside being a single mum to ds (now 12) and uni and part time jobs and now my phd....

2blessed2bstressed Tue 20-Sep-11 09:51:38

Yes, I have.2 dcs, one asd, single parent since we lost dh, manage an uninterrupted phonecall every so often...not every time but the original op said never

worldgonecrazy Tue 20-Sep-11 10:05:36

I don't disbelieve her but I think there may be some exaggeration or she has zero support around her? I've only got the one DD so I know it's a lot easier with one, but we get a decent night's sleep, uninterrupted baths when we want them (but normally we all have a family bath because we like it), and can make phone calls when we need to. We're out of the house 6.30 a.m. - 6.30 p.m. Monday to Friday, so it's not like we have a great deal of family time so we make the most of the hours we do have.

Stoirin Tue 20-Sep-11 10:41:18

If you are a working mother, surely you get plenty of uninterrupted phone calls at work?

It all sounds very martyrish to me.

aldiwhore Tue 20-Sep-11 11:04:41

I'm a SAHM and haven't had a proper night's sleep in years.... not the full 8 hours anyway!! She's probably telling the truth, but its says more about the management of her day to day life than it does about what she does with her time.

I am a full time working mum and I am able to have a phone conversation at home without DS interupting me and I am also fan of long baths - I dont get in the bath unless I have at least an hour to spare and DS knows not to hassle me.

I also get a good nights sleep!! Either she is exaggerating or she needs to brush up on some parenting skills smile

SwingingBetty Tue 20-Sep-11 11:15:25

what rubbish. you have a bath after kids have gone to bed.

some people have no common sense. Hilarious that no one can get a bath undisturbed but can spend hours faffing on tinternet grin

itisnearlysummer Tue 20-Sep-11 11:22:19

I'm astounded!

I wouldn't dream of letting DCs getting into the bath with me during my bath. It's my time and they know that.

And I don't think either of them have ever wanted to.

Proudnscary Tue 20-Sep-11 11:23:35

Lying or exaggerating - and martyring herself to boot. Stoopid.

Ragwort Tue 20-Sep-11 11:27:37

Unless your children have SN surely you are being a total martyr - I can't believe your children are up all night so that you can't have a bath/make a phone call or whatever after say, 8pm ??

I think some parents really enjoy playing the martyr card and yes, agree with Swinging - easy enough to find time to mumsnet hmm.

northernrock Tue 20-Sep-11 11:29:28

Here's how it goes:
Saturday morning, for example-
Me "I'm going to have a bath. What are you going to do?"
DS (4.10) "Play in my room"
Me" Ok"
<Locks bathroom door.>

Or
Me
"I'm going to call Auntie B now.I don't want you to interrupt me, Ok?"
DS "Can I watch some telly"
Me "Ok, fine, but if you interupt me I will swith it off, even if it's Octonauts"
DS " Ok"

And if he does come and bang on the bathroom door, I ask if it's an emergency.
" Is the house on fire?"
"No"
Have you pooed in your pants?
"No. Can I come in and play with my bath toys?"
"Not now. I am HAVING A BATH!"

< ds wanders back to lego>

See?

booyhoo Tue 20-Sep-11 11:35:43

agree with the martyr comments. some people make life harder than it needs to be (obviously SN/under 3's/problem sleepers excepted).

ICantFindAFreeNickName Tue 20-Sep-11 11:40:34

I think she is exaggerating, rather than lying.
My DS never ever slept through the night until he was nearly 4, he then continued to wake up / wet the bed around 5 nights a week for the next 3 years. Luckily my DD was a good sleeper from birth, otherwise I could have been looking at about 10 years of disturbed sleep!
My DC's do interupt me on the phone, but then again I am often on the phone for over an hour at a time, so I don't really blame them.
I prefer showers so the the only time I bother with a bath these days is if my DD wants a 'pamper' bath with me ie candles, nice bath bubbles, lots of girly chat.

TheBride Tue 20-Sep-11 11:41:46

I dont really do baths, but with showers I just chuck a few toys on the bathroom floor and lock DS out of the shower cubicle but in the bathroom. Occasionally I look round to find him with his face pressed wistfully against the glass, but usually he just gets on with investigating the loo brush educational wooden toy

notyummy Tue 20-Sep-11 11:42:14

Agree with Northern Rock. That sounds like our house. Also accompanied with The Look should phone call interruption/getting out of bed etc happen. A few of my gorgon stares and firm finger pointings generally sort out the situation should DD hove into view during phone conversations etc.

worraliberty Tue 20-Sep-11 11:42:26

Ewww if she can't get a bath I'm surprised she managed to have more than one child Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now